Projecting VCU Basketball starting 5 23-24 season

Jason Nelson
Max Shulga
Sean Bairstow
Kuany Kuany
Roosevelt Wheeler
This is pretty much what I'm thinking for the start of the season, with the exception of possibly Nelson. Zeb may take that spot due to the leadership he's been displaying since the team imploded. I think coach, at least at the start, may want Zeb out there for a good number of minutes, whether he's playing the point or spelling Shulga.

It's going to be really, really tough, though, because if Bam gets his exemption he needs minutes to be effective. Also, Billups may make a leap that demands minutes. But, there are only so many to go around.

I HOPE, as someone mentioned already, that Fermin can make a sophomore leap that puts him into the starting lineup. I also hope it's not just because Wheeler doesn't look that good. In that situation, we would have two good bigs.

Jackson
Shulga
Bamisile
Bairstow
Wheeler

This was my prediction about a month ago and I am going to stick with it. If Bam isn't eligible I think Bairstow moves up a spot and Kuany takes the other starting forward.
Does Bam have good guard skills? If so, and assuming eligible, maybe run him alongside Shulga to start and move Kuany upfront. Jackson’s going to get a lot of minutes. Some starting lineups might be influenced more by opposing matchups and our players D fit. We have shooters but who will step up to be our D guys? Is there a Vince Williams type of all around player? If so he will get lots of PT regardless.

Is there a Vince Williams type of all around player?
I feel like that might be Bairstow. He can play the 2-4 effectively. I don't know how good of a rebounder he is, but at 6'8'' you would think he's going to be decent going up and getting the ball. Plus, he can shoot.

I feel like that might be Bairstow. He can play the 2-4 effectively. I don't know how good of a rebounder he is, but at 6'8'' you would think he's going to be decent going up and getting the ball. Plus, he can shoot.
It's definitely Bairstow. He can crash the boards thanks to his size, and he averaged 5.2 rebounds per game last season at Utah State, third-best on the team. He had 8 games with 7 or more rebounds.

Are we sleeping on Fermin? I give him a 50/50 shot at starting over Wheeler by A10 play. Sophomore leap let's do this! He's got a strong base and I'm not so sure Wheeler is any taller, tiles anyone? I think all our guys will make jumps in skill but I don't think Fermin & Lawal are much behind right now.
I totally agree. Ram Nation should not discount Fermin or Lawal. From the things that I read is that Wheeler is more of a shot block and rebound instead of a scorer. Fernim may be a better all-around big that may have the ability to shoot 3s. Lawal may still need to develop, but I think he will get minutes simply due to his athleticism.

Also, remember that the starting five and the rotation of players will depend on analytics. The analytics approach is something we, as fans, are not used to and will take time to adjust.

I totally agree. Ram Nation should not discount Fermin or Lawal. From the things that I read is that Wheeler is more of a shot block and rebound instead of a scorer. Fernim may be a better all-around big that may have the ability to shoot 3s. Lawal may still need to develop, but I think he will get minutes simply due to his athleticism.

Also, remember that the starting five and the rotation of players will depend on analytics. The analytics approach is something we, as fans, are not used to and will take time to adjust.
If Odom needs 11 to win, he will use 11 to win.

Mr. X analytics.

What's the record for most single-game scoring leaders in a season? I could see 11 different Rams here. Could also see no player averaging more than 12 points or 25 minutes. That's great for the fans - not so sure it's great for the players, all with pro ambitions.

What's the record for most single-game scoring leaders in a season? I could see 11 different Rams here. Could also see no player averaging more than 12 points or 25 minutes. That's great for the fans - not so sure it's great for the players, all with pro ambitions.
It's still a team game though. I can see someone give up an open shot for a better open shot. So...

It's still a team game though. I can see someone give up an open shot for a better open shot. So...

Lawal is the one I can't quite see as the scoring leader on a given night .... but to answer Bang, I'm not suggesting any greediness ... only that there is not enough sugar to spread around, more in terms of minutes than shots taken.

No one wants to even think about this, but we can pretty much figure at least three or four players will get less than 10 minutes a game .... who will they be, and will NIL be enough to keep them smiling? College basketball has become more and more of a business, which saddens me.

Lawal is the one I can't quite see as the scoring leader on a given night .... but to answer Bang, I'm not suggesting any greediness ... only that there is not enough sugar to spread around, more in terms of minutes than shots taken.

No one wants to even think about this, but we can pretty much figure at least three or four players will get less than 10 minutes a game .... who will they be, and will NIL be enough to keep them smiling? College basketball has become more and more of a business, which saddens me.
If we win 25 games, which I think is possible, I'll be happy.

Back