The Official Beat the South Florida Bulls in Tampa in the NIT Thread

While your body can reach a homeostatic state at a new elevation within a few days, people who stay at high altitude demonstrate increases in red blood cells, hemoglobin, and hematocrit for up to 8-9 months suggesting your body takes much longer to optimally adapt. My oxygen saturation always sat at 98-100% in Virginia but remained in the low/mid 90s for about 15 months after moving to Denver.

The most notable difference IMO is dehydration. I have to drink like 2x as much water to stay hydrated out here. Also the ball travels faster here due to decreased air density, which Utah players will be well-attuned to.

OTOH, the initial rapid changes in RBCs and hemoglobin concentration will persist for weeks to months so the rams get a legal (but mild) form of blood doping before the semis.
Exactly. I learned very early in my time out there that if you don't drink lots of water your head will be hurting in short order. And yes, everything in the air travels further there. It's going to be a significant adjustment for our shooters. Heck, I'm 5-8 and 175 dripping wet and my average 3 wood out there was 295. Took a bit of time to adjust to my wedge going 155 as well.

While your body can reach a homeostatic state at a new elevation within a few days, people who stay at high altitude demonstrate increases in red blood cells, hemoglobin, and hematocrit for up to 8-9 months suggesting your body takes much longer to optimally adapt. My oxygen saturation always sat at 98-100% in Virginia but remained in the low/mid 90s for about 15 months after moving to Denver.

The most notable difference IMO is dehydration. I have to drink like 2x as much water to stay hydrated out here. Also the ball travels faster here due to decreased air density, which Utah players will be well-attuned to.

OTOH, the initial rapid changes in RBCs and hemoglobin concentration will persist for weeks to months so the rams get a legal (but mild) form of blood doping before the semis.
Wait are you in Denver too? I think there's a growing gang of us that should all meet up at some point.

Also on that note, there's a reason the US Olympic training facility is in Colorado Springs.

Second side note, it's sometimes difficult for me to give blood in denver because my hemoglobin numbers are too high.

Having been at altitude in Breckinridge, CO, I can confirm that it does impact you, but the impact didn’t last more than a 7-8 hours. While I was in good physical shape when I was there, these are elite college athletes, so my guess is they can handle it better than I did or most people can. They also probably won’t be consuming some of the adult beverages I did on my trip out there, which will help them. :lol:

What would help the U of Denver more than the altitude is having better talent and coaching.

Like the Nuggets, who never won a thing until they had a generational talent and a fantastic coach.
Basketball is a distant third if even that for sports at DU, they care about LAX and Hockey more than anything else and have the national championships to prove it.

Basketball is a distant third if even that for sports at DU, they care about LAX and Hockey more than anything else and have the national championships to prove it.
Good for them. Didn’t know that at all. We were barely having a conversation about U of Denver basketball and altitude.

Good for them. Didn’t know that at all. We were barely having a conversation about U of Denver basketball and altitude.
Yeah, the point being there's very little investment in that team there, as a former employee of DU I can tell you the basketball team just isn't a concern for them. It's a very pretentious group of students/staff mostly. Helll, I had to spend time doing a risk assessment about how what would need to be done to have a Polo team there. Altitude is a big advantage, it's just not going to make what should be a DII team a competitor.

Needless to say, I did not fit in there well or enjoy my time.

You’re a clown if you think one post in the heat of the game warrants a response from you. Truly delusional on your part. You say you have emotion and then attack posters who show it. Hypocritical
There's a vast difference between supporting and damaging the team we enjoy watching. Posting on a fan forum referring to someone who is not an idiot as an idiot exceeds being emotional. Tobi is an MVP of this team, actually exceeds that. He in no way is due such a post, nothing he does ingame should subject him to a post like that. Thus, it is offensive seeing stuff like that. And the person you're calling delusional here in every way exceeds an average fan, going to the lengths most wouldn't even begin to consider, and does not use the forum here as an emotional outlet. Programs exist because of fans like them, and they set apart mere sports programs from ones you can actually call a family. I'm not in any way surprised when seeing them calling out posts, and defending this program and its lifeblood from "emotional" posters. There's a gigantic difference between me and you saying what we will, and writing that same stuff on a public forum.

Yeah, the point being there's very little investment in that team there, as a former employee of DU I can tell you the basketball team just isn't a concern for them. It's a very pretentious group of students/staff mostly. Helll, I had to spend time doing a risk assessment about how what would need to be done to have a Polo team there. Altitude is a big advantage, it's just not going to make what should be a DII team a competitor.

Needless to say, I did not fit in there well or enjoy my time.
A polo team? Now, that is certainly a unique way to spend money at college.

giphy.gif

This is not an attack on your post. I think it is well thought out and intelligently written. I am going to give you my take though.

CEO's AD's, coaches and other highly paid (not well paid, but very highly paid) corporate jobs is the biggest scam in America. Most are pre-set arrangements that are conducted with winks and handshakes. These people run in the right circles and know the right people. The fact they paid there dues and have industry acumen that is so superior to others is straight up a myth. Although not everyone can do these jobs, there are far more capable people than these "insiders" would like you to believe. The CEO of Boeing stepped down today. Does anyone really think there were not hundreds of better suited leaders for that company when he was hired. But I bet a search committee narrowed the search to a couple of well connected names and chose that moron. And I hate to see the shrtlist they have to replace him. And this process of thinking is killing (literally in terms of Boeing) our country. It happens in banking, politics, education, big and small business and coaching. Our best coaches (Capel, SS, Grant and a few of our earlier ones) were just hungry, smart and capable people. Look past the myth and the noise. So screw the handshakes and winks, some of the best and most capable are standing right in front of you, hiding in plain sight, most of the time.

I hear you on the “hiding in plain sight” point and agree. I’ve done a fair bit of acquisition and corporate governance work, and you are on point when it comes to leadership roles, it’s generally more gamesmanship than meritocracy or talent. Mostly, it comes down to who the IBs or PEs favor/trust the most to deliver their expected returns.

As it relates to selecting a coach for VCU, I’d just want to make sure candidates at least have the experience or the AD is ready to provide the right infrastructure to support them as they grow on the fly.

An airtight AD can make a highly speculative call and do what it takes to support them. Maybe I am too close to be objective, but I don’t know that I would give that infrastructure responsibility to this AD. Too many blocking and tackling issues over the years for this current regime, I’m not sure I’d want to add more accountability to their plate.

I like the thinking and I imagine both will be rock solid coaches at any level down the road. Just pointing out that would be a Big Baller move, with lots of risks.

Not sure if the VCU one is around somewhere.

If you get a chance, listen to this entire presser! It was a mix of recruiting, life advice, and sincerity.

Rhoades and RO are pretty boring and full of cliques.

Abdur-Rahim felt so genuine and reflective in a positive way. the way he spoke about the guys was inspiring, and wasn't too good to throw a couple humble brags in there to boot.

At the end, he stopped and made sure to thank the press for being with them along that way.

If you get a chance, listen to this entire presser! It was a mix of recruiting, life advice, and sincerity.

Rhoades and RO are pretty boring and full of cliques.

Abdur-Rahim felt so genuine and reflective in a positive way. the way he spoke about the guys was inspiring, and wasn't too good to throw a couple humble brags in there to boot.

At the end, he stopped and made sure to thank the press for being with them along that way.
I watched it today. VCU got them at a good time. They will get better.

Back