The Official Beat the Utah Utes in Salt Lake City in the NIT Quarterfinals Thread

Last night was a bad asss beating! So glad my team has fewer than our opponents. Last night suckked though.

Starters were 2 of 17 on threes; throw in Bamisile and it's 3 of 20. Yikes.
It's true that we should just be happy to a degree to have been in the NIT quarterfinals, and credit to Odom and the team for getting there.

But between the A-10 Final and the NIT Quarterfinals, it's probably fair to be a bit disappointed that our offense started so crazy slowly in both those games that it left us no chance to win them in scenes that looked eerily reminiscent of the worst parts of the Mike Rhoades era, which routinely featured blowout losses to the best teams we faced. The amount of times that our offense ended up being predicated on a guy just jacking up a three last night was troubling.

Obviously and understandably, Odom was a bit rushed in his recruiting last year for this team. Let's hope that next year's team is going to be far more capable of being a "machine" on offense, instead of just throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Wheeler should've never come in, we had some momentum. He got lost on defense leading to a 3, then caused 2 turnovers w/ offensive fouls. Killer.
Don't forget the play where he just fell on his ass while guarding nobody resulting in a bucket for Utah. He is now officially entering his 4th year of college basketball.

Bam could be an off the bench microwave player on a better team. But on this lesser team, he should have started. We can not afford to lose Bam and not starting him on this squad by late January was a poor decision. Some people here preach starting doesnt matter. To better players -it certainly does. Moves like that will cause players to enter the portal.
Sometimes not starting your best guys works out, and it did for us most of the time. Then there’s last night when we’re down 10-0 before you could blink an eye.

I agree with you. Unless there’s something strange, like a guy has nerves and prefers coming off the bench, you’d better start your best guys. The other team probably is.

Bam coming off the bench is a very NBA 6th man Jamal Crawford type thing. Except this isn’t the NBA, the rotations are different, and I agree with you all that there were at least some games he should’ve started.

I can't really think of anyone, with the exception of Tobi, who actually deserved more minutes. In addition, Tobi would have gotten more if not for foul trouble.
His foul issues really held him back. I just hope he can change that. Seemed like at the end of the season he was just as likely to collect fouls and leave his feet for a block that wasn’t there as he was in game 1.

Tobi has improved a lot, but I think most of that was between last year and the start of this year.

Hopefully he stays and gets to develop as more of a 4 like I believe was the plan for this year.

Last game of the season and now you see what everyone else was pointing out? Unbelievable.
Let’s not act like we didn’t have a problem down low. I think it’s completely fair to wonder why a 4 star big man was riding pine while we were getting or crap pushed in down low game in and game out. I could point to plenty of moments questioning why Fermin was getting any PT. Rose’s attitude is what I was more referring to (although his play last night was dreadful) where he completely dismissed whatever Odom said to him shaking his head as he came back to the sideline and walked away.

Let’s not act like we didn’t have a problem down low. I think it’s completely fair to wonder why a 4 star big man was riding pine while we were getting or crap pushed in down low game in and game out. I could point to plenty of moments questioning why Fermin was getting any PT. Rose’s attitude is what I was more referring to (although his play last night was dreadful) where he completely dismissed whatever Odom said to him shaking his head as he came back to the sideline and walked away.
Christ almighty. We all know we had a problem down low and everyone other than you knew Wheeler wasn't the answer to that problem. There were clear and obvious reasons Wheeler wasn't getting on the floor. The coaches aren't freaking idiots afterall and putting him in the game was never going to change the fact that Fermin gets pushed around. Can you just not accept that Fermin and Tobi were our best options this year?

Last edited:
Christ almighty... We all know we had a problem down low and everyone other than you knew Wheeler wasn't the answer to that problem. There were clear and obvious reasons Wheeler wasn't getting on the floor. The coaches aren't freaking idiots afterall and putting him in the game was never going to change the fact that Fermin gets pushed around. Can you just not accept that Fermin and Tobi were our best options this year?
Lol calm down dude. I wasn’t the only one and can still point to times when Wheeler was better than Ferm even with a much smaller sample size (UMass).

Wheeler should've never come in, we had some momentum. He got lost on defense leading to a 3, then caused 2 turnovers w/ offensive fouls. Killer.
Hindsight. Hindsight. With those two big guys killing us had Odom not put Wheeler in all we would be writing today was that he should have.
Look Coach made a Coach move and it didn’t work.

Next.

Bam could be an off the bench microwave player on a better team. But on this lesser team, he should have started. We can not afford to lose Bam and not starting him on this squad by late January was a poor decision. Some people here preach starting doesnt matter. To better players -it certainly does. Moves like that will cause players to enter the portal.
Agreed! I believe, if Bam would have started during the Duquesne game, VCU would have won. I get bringing him off the bench for a few games but Bam should have been starting after all of those big games. IMHO Bam was the best player on the team. Odom showed loyalty to Bairstow, because he should have came off the bench instead of Bam.

Back