The Official Beat the Will Wade-less McNeese State Cowboys at the Stu Thread

Of course, I think there is a balance. However, I know that once the ball is put into action, the players MUST apply what they've learned or been told in practice, on the sidelines, etc.

I heard what Odom said about him not helping out guys like he should. That's nice, but that is coach speak 101. I would expect nothing less from the son of a coach. Joe Gibbs was THE MASTER at deflecting all credit to his players and taking all blame for the players.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I guarantee in practice and in the video room he's presenting a different narrative to the players.

I think our so call “bigs” had one bucket
Yeah, I guess. Wheeler and Fermin played a total of 34 minutes so somebody burned those extra six minutes in the paint and scored, but your point is still valid. Those are really our only bonafide rotation bigs on the roster.

We're on the same page other than the cupboard was bare statement. Odom truely had a bare cupboard. If MR is considered to have had a bare cupboard, I don't know what you would consider what Odom walked into.
Odom’s cupboard was even emptier, but again, he had one thing Rhoades didn’t have: immediate eligibility for transfers. So, it is easier to reload now than it was just a few years ago.

Then pay the players (i.e. NILs) and cut coach's salaries.
Well, we have started paying players through the collective. What we pay coaches isn’t up to me.

Since he just passed away, it seems ironic to note that Bob Knight, for a good chunk of his time at Indiana, didn’t want to be paid more than professors at IU, according to numerous articles I‘ve read recently. Other than Tony Bennett recently declining a raise, I am unaware of any other coaches who turn down more money for themselves.

We're on the same page other than the cupboard was bare statement. Odom truely had a bare cupboard. If MR is considered to have had a bare cupboard, I don't know what you would consider what Odom walked into.
Remeber the final scene from fresh prince with Will crying alone in an empty living room? Thats Odom.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I guarantee in practice and in the video room he's presenting a different narrative to the players.
So, you’re an old guy like me if you remember the Gibbs years. ;)

Odom’s cupboard was even emptier, but again, he had one thing Rhoades didn’t have: immediate eligibility for transfers. So, it is easier to reload now than it was just a few years ago.
Rhoades didn’t have to deal with full scale NIL madness with his empty cupboard. VCU is here trying to convince a fanbase to throw money in a pot to try to compete to build a whole new roster behind a new coach when quite simply we know we don’t have the money to in a time where NCAA is trying to kill programs like ours. Thats just fact. Odom can be the best recruiter ever but doesn’t mean crap if our check doesn’t clear

And MR inherited a starting forward who put up 12 pts/8 rebs who went on to become 1st team all conference and received POY consideration who he pretty much build his first team around. His board had a significant cup on it when Tillman decided to return.

Wow! I'm pretty impressed with the tempered responses on the board this morning. I was expecting to find calls for Odom's firing and a full-fledged meltdown. Congrats to Ram Nation for staying even keeled. :lol:

And MR inherited a starting forward who put up 12 pts/8 rebs who went on to become 1st team all conference and received POY consideration who he pretty much build his first team around. His board had a significant cup on it when Tillman decided to return.
And Odom was able to bring and immediately play Shulga and Bairstow, two all-conference preseason selections. It’s the world in which each coach lived when they took over at VCU. It’s a shame Bairstow is injured. I have zero doubt he will make a huge difference when he returns.

Shooting can run hot and cold. My biggest concern after one game was offensively no inside game at all. I missed most of the 2nd half and didn't get to rewatch it yet, but I can't recall a single post move the entire game (I'm sure that may be a bit of hyperbole, but I don't think so). When the shooting runs cold we have few opportunities for easy buckets.
Same concern about the post...but there were a few passes I to Tobi for dunks.
Upon further reflection, their zone really caused us problems. I'm used to seeing someone at the top of the key getting the ball and passing out or driving. We just seemed deer in headlights with their zone.

Ah, another BB season has emerged. Exciting times. I'll keep it short. We need not lament over last night. McNeese (re: Lindy's) was/is forecast to win their conference. I feel we will gradually gel together. We / I have seen worse outcomes at home. Can't take anyone lightly. Just ask the Spartans of Michigan State (#4). Half the fan base probably called out sick today. JMU football and BB looking good so far but things can change in a hurry as we all have experienced. Beating Mars Hill by 60 really didn't set the table for things to come, I suppose. Sorry.... I didn't keep this short. One query though. Is Basimile able to play this season? I'm not up to date on things, obviously. Everyone take care and don't lose faith.

Back