The Offseason

I want to be with you on this one, but Rhoades contract with PSU and the Mason coach's contract tells me that the bar has been significantly lowered and they will throw money at anyone and see what happens. Not that Odom is just anyone, but if we are a NCAA Tourney team he will be on someone's radar. Not saying that he would take it but there are a lot of programs out there that have plenty of money and haven't been to the tournament on a regular basis in a very long time. I think stupidity is alive and well in NCAA athletic departments. At some point I would think the bubble has to burst but we are not at that point yet.

Coach Odom was just on the market fresh off a NCAA appearance and did not get a P5 interview even(That was reported). He was headed until South Florida until Rhoades decided to go home.

He hasn’t even coached a single game here yet and we’re talkin about when he moves on. :D

Coach Odom was just on the market fresh off a NCAA appearance and did not get a P5 interview even(That was reported). He was headed until South Florida until Rhoades decided to go home.
Yes, but if you add success here to that resume you would have to think that someone would take a look at him.

Perhaps. But here is my take.
Ryan is way different than our other coaches that jumped ship. I am not saying he doesnt want to go P5, but does P5 want him? There are certain programs (Wake Forest for one) that would grab him if he gets into the NCAA here and there is an opening, but I think most new hires at these P5 programs are courting younger coaches that often possess different personality types. 30 years ago Ryan Odom was a prototype of what these programs wanted and would never look twice at a Shaka or WW. That is why we got those types. Now I think that is what the P5 are courting and now we get The Ryan Odom types. Now if he catches fire and starts going to Sweet 16's it will be a different story. But I think he will have to do more than Capel, Grant, SS and WW did to punch his ticket to the P5. (well maybe not SS -its hard to do more than he did here). I think Ryan wins here and he stays longer than we think.
As for MR, nobody from the P5 were pursuing him from what I was told other than Penn State. They made a stupid offer and he smartly grabbed it. And since stupidity isnt a crime, they were free to go and have at it with MR at $3.5 mill for 7 years.

P6 coaching hires (age at hire):
Georgetown - Cooley (54)
St Johns - Pitino (71)
Miami - Larranaga (64)
Va Tech - Young (55)
Oregon - Altman (52)
Oklahoma - Moser (52)
Texas - Terry (55)
Illinois - Underwood (54)
Kansas St - Tang (56)
Butler - Matta (55)
Penn St - Rhoades (50)
Fla St - Hamilton (54)
Indiana - Woodson (62)
Louisville - Payne (54)

And many more………

Last edited:
P6 coaching hires (age at hire):
Georgetown - Cooley (54)
St Johns - Pitino (71)
Miami - Larranaga (64)
Va Tech - Young (55)
Oregon - Altman (52)
Oklahoma - Moser (52)
Texas - Terry (55)
Illinois - Underwood (54)
Kansas St - Tang (56)
Butler - Matta (55)
Penn St - Rhoades (50)
Fla St - Hamilton (54)
Indiana - Woodson (62)
Louisville - Payne (54)

And many more………
I am not basing it on age. I am basing it on an overall shift in the characteristics of what a newly hired coach at a P5 looks like today. Coaches today are younger, less experienced, come from more diverse backgrounds... There has been a trend to get the next new, young up and comer. Ryan doesnt fit that mold. There is also a quest for more diversity. Ryan doesn't check that box. He is super nice and intelligent and seemingly (if not actually authentic) in his interactions. But those are qualities that do not seem to matter as much in 2023 as they did years ago. There is seemingly a few P5 jobs that open every year and also a handful of young coaches that have taken there teams from obscurity on a brief 5 minute time in the spotlight each March. Those seem to be the coaches always mentioned in the carousel. Because of these changes, in my opinion, it will be harder for Ryan to start juggling P5 offers with a few NCAA appearances and 20 win seasons. WF and a few other programs the exception. And given the current landscape, it gets harder every year that passes.
Just like with JC, AG, SS, WW the P5s wanted a fresh new face that was on a rapid trajectory, we were at a disadvantage in retaining our coach. With Ryan, I think the script has flipped a bit in our favor. At least for now.

Last edited:
I am not basing it on age. I am basing it on an overall shift in the characteristics of what a newly hired coach at a P5 looks like today. Coaches today are younger, less experienced, come from more diverse backgrounds... There has been a trend to get the next new, young up and comer. Ryan doesnt fit that mold. There is also a quest for more diversity. Ryan doesn't check that box. He is super nice and intelligent and seemingly (if not actually authentic in his interactions). But I am not so sure. But those are qualities that do not seem to matter as much in 2023 as they did years ago. There is seemingly a few P5 jobs that open every year and also a handful of young coaches that have taken there teams from obscurity on a brief 5 minute time in the spotlight each March. Those seem to be the coaches always mentioned in the carousel. Because of these changes, in my opinion, it will be harder for Ryan to start juggling P5 offers with a few NCAA appearances and 20 win seasons. WF and a few other programs the exception. And given the current landscape, it gets harder every year that passes.
Just like with JC, AG, SS, WW the P5s wanted a fresh new face that was on a rapid trajectory, we were at a disadvantage in retaining our coach. With Ryan, I think the cript has flipped a bit in our favor. At least for now.
I hope you’re right, but I’m not buying it. Odom seems perfect to me for a BE or ACC school … particularly ACC since it’s in his blood. I think if we can keep him past three years, it will be a victory.

I am not basing it on age. I am basing it on an overall shift in the characteristics of what a newly hired coach at a P5 looks like today. Coaches today are younger, less experienced, come from more diverse backgrounds... There has been a trend to get the next new, young up and comer. Ryan doesnt fit that mold. There is also a quest for more diversity. Ryan doesn't check that box. He is super nice and intelligent and seemingly (if not actually authentic in his interactions). But I am not so sure. But those are qualities that do not seem to matter as much in 2023 as they did years ago. There is seemingly a few P5 jobs that open every year and also a handful of young coaches that have taken there teams from obscurity on a brief 5 minute time in the spotlight each March. Those seem to be the coaches always mentioned in the carousel. Because of these changes, in my opinion, it will be harder for Ryan to start juggling P5 offers with a few NCAA appearances and 20 win seasons. WF and a few other programs the exception. And given the current landscape, it gets harder every year that passes.
Just like with JC, AG, SS, WW the P5s wanted a fresh new face that was on a rapid trajectory, we were at a disadvantage in retaining our coach. With Ryan, I think the cript has flipped a bit in our favor. At least for now.
All it takes is for one school to be interested & Odom could possibly be gone.

Look at Penn State & MR. Now granted, it was almost a "perfect" fit for MR because of his PA ties.... but he doesn't fit the JC-AG-SS-WW mantra you're putting out.

And I mean looking at what Rhoades did here.... 3 NCAA Tourneys in 6 years (0-2 in those games, plus 1 forfeit due to covid), 1 conference championship, 1 NIT 2nd round appearance, and then of course the 2020 season we all remember what happened there even before covid shut everything down.

If Odom comes in and has the same or better success.... there will be suitors for him.... regardless of his age.

All it takes is for one school to be interested & Odom could possibly be gone.

Look at Penn State & MR. Now granted, it was almost a "perfect" fit for MR because of his PA ties.... but he doesn't fit the JC-AG-SS-WW mantra you're putting out.

And I mean looking at what Rhoades did here.... 3 NCAA Tourneys in 6 years (0-2 in those games, plus 1 forfeit due to covid), 1 conference championship, 1 NIT 2nd round appearance, and then of course the 2020 season we all remember what happened there even before covid shut everything down.

If Odom comes in and has the same or better success.... there will be suitors for him.... regardless of his age.

Posters on this thread do realize the Odom just turned 49, and he is two years younger than Mike Rhoades. I can't believe age is even a topic at this point. :roll: Coach Odom is still relatively young when looking at NCAA basketball head coaches. Schools hire really good basketball coaches regardless of age.

Posters on this thread do realize the Odom just turned 49, and he is two years younger than Mike Rhoades. I can't believe age is even a topic at this point. :roll: Coach Odom is still relatively young when looking at NCAA basketball head coaches. Schools hire really good basketball coaches regardless of age.
Agreed. He's climbed the ladder and has been successful everywhere he's been.

Agreed. He's climbed the ladder and has been successful everywhere he's been.

I can't believe the scrutiny Coach Odom has been put under since he accepted the VCU head coaching job. Can the regular season please start so these posters can focus on something else!!! How Coach Odom has been put under the microscope by this fan base since taking the job is definitely not a good look for VCU Ram Nation. The guy hasn't even coached his first regular season game at VCU!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can't believe the scrutiny Coach Odom has been put under since he accepted the VCU head coaching job. Can the regular season please start so these posters can focus on something else!!! How Coach Odom has been put under the microscope by this fan base since taking the job is definitely not a good look for VCU Ram Nation. The guy hasn't even coached his first regular season game at VCU!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Seriously ... this really can't surprise you. It's what we do. As has been hashed and re-hashed, people wanted to fire Shaka after his first season. It's not just us, either. A lot of Dayton fans are ready to toss Anthony Grant.

Seriously ... this really can't surprise you. It's what we do. As has been hashed and re-hashed, people wanted to fire Shaka after his first season. It's not just us, either. A lot of Dayton fans are ready to toss Anthony Grant.

I understand that, but Coach Odom hasn't even coached his first regular season game at VCU yet. No other VCU coach has been put under the scrutiny he has prior to coaching their first regular season game at VCU. That's sad.

Back