The Offseason

I understand that, but Coach Odom hasn't even coached his first regular season game at VCU yet. No other VCU coach has been put under the scrutiny he has prior to coaching their first regular season game at VCU. That's sad.
It may have to do with the fact that he's the first coach since Shaka got here that we didn't know a lot about in advance. That's a long time and the program has changed immensely since then.

P6 coaching hires (age at hire):
Georgetown - Cooley (54)
St Johns - Pitino (71)
Miami - Larranaga (64)
Va Tech - Young (55)
Oregon - Altman (52)
Oklahoma - Moser (52)
Texas - Terry (55)
Illinois - Underwood (54)
Kansas St - Tang (56)
Butler - Matta (55)
Penn St - Rhoades (50)
Fla St - Hamilton (54)
Indiana - Woodson (62)
Louisville - Payne (54)

And many more………

There are typically 8-12 P6 head coaching vacancies annually. Should there be a VCU NCAA (or even NIT) appearance in 2024, chances are that Mr. Odom (almost 50) will likely be at or near the top of the “targeted P6 candidates” list/queue. With any early success, there will likely not be “multiple years” of Ryan Odom at VCU.

Last edited:
There are typically 8-12 P6 head coaching vacancies annually. Should there be a VCU NCAA (or even NIT) appearance in 2024, chances are that Mr. Odom will likely be at or near the top of the “targeted candidates” list/queue.

As always, thank you for your insightful analysis.

Agreed. He's climbed the ladder and has been successful everywhere he's been.
Yet no P5 offers. Maybe there is a shift in the characteristics of what a newly hired coach at a P5 looks like today.
He is not out of contention by any means. Things are harder for him to jump. I would be much more worried about losing a a coach in his mid to late 30's early 40s in his first few years of college coaching than a coach 50 year old with almost 10 years experience. Each year that passes works in our favor .

timing is everything in these coaching vacancies at P5s. Coaches like Rhoades and Odom usually have better chances when schools are having to fill vacancies when their head coaches left as opposed to being fired and no heir apparent within the program exists or famous alumni that is ready for head coaching slot
AD's are looking to move fast and not willing to take a two month search or else their program may fall 2 years behind
odom's and rhoades are safe candidates IMO as opposed to someone like a Tony Skinn or the GMU coach that got the Providence job

Maybe I have the supposed complainers about Odom on ignore but I haven't seen a single negative thing about him posted here. He has dramatically changed some things here, but he's been hired to run his system the way he thinks best. If it works out, everyone will be thrilled for him. If it doesn't, some will compete to be first to call for his ouster, but I haven't seen any of that yet

Maybe I have the supposed complainers about Odom on ignore but I haven't seen a single negative thing about him posted here. He has dramatically changed some things here, but he's been hired to run his system the way he thinks best. If it works out, everyone will be thrilled for him. If it doesn't, some will compete to be first to call for his ouster, but I haven't seen any of that yet
It's just folks talking about his speech patterns.

I’m beyond thrilled to see a new style and approach and new energy. No disrespect to the old approaches. They were winners.

It's just folks talking about his speech patterns.
This. I’ve been guilty of it. I have to admit that as a communicator, the “right” verbal tic is somewhat annoying, but my issues with his speech patterns have zero to do with how I feel about him as a coach. I’m really excited about this season and the players he’s brought in.

Back