The Portal Process THIS YEAR

I could be wrong, and I'm happy to be corrected, but once you graduate, the only way to keep playing as a graduate after four seasons is to transfer, isn't it?
No, the only reason a player with a COVID year would have to transfer is if the school they're currently at doesn't have graduate programs (like Davidson). If the school is okay with you staying, you can stay.

I could be wrong, and I'm happy to be corrected, but once you graduate, the only way to keep playing as a graduate after four seasons is to transfer, isn't it?
Think Corey Douglas. While not at VCU 5 consecutive years he played here as undergrad and grad

Reactions: HBK
Also not a fan. The players will just choose to land in places without the clause. At this level we'll never be able to compete with the top programs. We'll just have to blue-collar overachieve as per normal.

Read this:

The fact we are talking about Agents advising NIL collectives to structure multi-year 500K package deals to retain each athlete in all your sports programs is insane.

Stuff like this makes me want to walk away from college sports altogether.

Is it insane? It would help with the transfer problem

Read this:

The fact we are talking about Agents advising NIL collectives to structure multi-year 500K package deals to retain each athlete in all your sports programs is insane.

Stuff like this makes me want to walk away from college sports altogether.

A reply in the thread indicates that this idea is against the few rules that exist for NIL.

A reply in the thread indicates that this idea is against the few rules that exist for NIL.

Ok, so you can receive your first NIL from a school over the summer after HS and enroll in a different school in the fall?

Last edited:
What’s going to happen when a school inevitably doesn’t have enough players to field a team? It wouldn’t be hard, just have the majority of the roster transfer out and fail to bring in replacements. heck, we didn’t have a full roster this year.

What’s going to happen when a school inevitably doesn’t have enough players to field a team? It wouldn’t be hard, just have the majority of the roster transfer out and fail to bring in replacements. heck, we didn’t have a full roster this year.
There are 362 teams in Division 1 and 13 scholarships available for each team, for a total of 4,706 scholarship positions. There are well over that many prospects each season so theoretically no one should have that issue.

Just because they are out there doesn't mean that they are wanted

Just because they are out there doesn't mean that they are wanted
That’s kind of where my thinking is, but also what if the players just don’t want to play at a school? Coaches have a limited time to fill the roster. If you’re in a half decent conference do you scramble last second and fill the team with lower level talent? Assuming you’d get enough guys to commit? It may not be likely that it would happen but it’s possible

There are 362 teams in Division 1 and 13 scholarships available for each team, for a total of 4,706 scholarship positions. There are well over that many prospects each season so theoretically no one should have that issue.
And would anyone estimate, it nears 50,000 HS players desperate for a legit D1 offer they're OKed to accept?

Schools have contingency plans. VCU has offers (although most are contingent not committable) out to enough kids for three teams. I could possibly happen to a school but the likelihood is very slim. Chicago State doesn’t even have a conference affiliation and failed a team with no problem. There was a team in the middle of the country (Illinois State maybe) that had to hold open tryouts but it wasn’t because of the portal

Back