Players Tobi Lawal Dunk Tracker

put me in the camp of we need to see how he develops over the next 12+ months - still young in terms of how long he has been competing at a high level of competition

would also note that 6'8" players that get drafted in round 1 now have to be able to stroke the 3 (right now I have no confidence in Tobi's ability to stroke the 3 at a high rate as part of his offense) - NBA centers and forwards for the most part are expected to be able to step out and shoot the 3 (though there are a few dinosaurs out there still like Capela )

second rounders seem to be lots of foreigners etc that NBA teams are willing to wait 2-3 years as well as college freshman and G league guys

but time will tell - go Tobi
Yup that's the main thing. I don't see him putting on 20-30 lbs to play as an undersized 4, so he HAS to have a perimeter game, shooting and ball handling. Like I think he should be working with guards/wings all off season because we've clearly seen he's able to make an impact on the block just off shear athleticism

Yup that's the main thing. I don't see him putting on 20-30 lbs to play as an undersized 4, so he HAS to have a perimeter game, shooting and ball handling. Like I think he should be working with guards/wings all off season because we've clearly seen he's able to make an impact on the block just off shear athleticism
And who is going to play at the 5? Right now Bairstow is our "tall" shooter from the perimeter as well as Kuany. Fermin is not our productive person down low.....he got points yesterday very late in the game when the Bonnies began to lay off. We need Tobi to begin to develop his inside game. Right now Tobi has slippery fingers and/or holds the ball too long in the paint trying to figure out what to do with the ball while everyone collapses on him. I've seen him on multiple occasions put the ball on the floor (dribble) when he is 2 feet from the basket then attempt to just lay it up. Tobi needs to work on developing his own shot from inside the arc and work on holding on to the ball better. He has two more years to develop a more consistent outside shot. This year, we have 3 point shooters. Tobi needs to develop his inside game. Being set up by other players for an alley-oop dunk is eye catching, but he needs to be able to develop his inside play off the bounce or pass......and do it quickly before the opposition collapses on him. And we need Tobi and Fermin to be better defenders in the low post.
Our inside game becomes very suspect....on offense and defense when the opposition has talented 250 lbs guys in the post.

And who is going to play at the 5? Right now Bairstow is our "tall" shooter from the perimeter as well as Kuany. Fermin is not our productive person down low.....he got points yesterday very late in the game when the Bonnies began to lay off. We need Tobi to begin to develop his inside game. Right now Tobi has slippery fingers and/or holds the ball too long in the paint trying to figure out what to do with the ball while everyone collapses on him. I've seen him on multiple occasions put the ball on the floor (dribble) when he is 2 feet from the basket then attempt to just lay it up. Tobi needs to work on developing his own shot from inside the arc and work on holding on to the ball better. He has two more years to develop a more consistent outside shot. This year, we have 3 point shooters. Tobi needs to develop his inside game. Being set up by other players for an alley-oop dunk is eye catching, but he needs to be able to develop his inside play off the bounce or pass......and do it quickly before the opposition collapses on him. And we need Tobi and Fermin to be better defenders in the low post.
Our inside game becomes very suspect....on offense and defense when the opposition has talented 250 lbs guys in the post.
I was talking strictly from a "what he needs to get to the league" POV. He's built like a wing as far as the NBA goes

As for what VCU needs out of him it's really everything lol he's still very raw. But let's not minimize his role, because being a lob/dunk threat is also a huge asset to a team. Most bigs are predominately rollers, rebounders and rim protectors that's how the game is played now. Very few have a legit post up game, especially in college, but that's just not our offense anyway. We're not throwing entry passes to the post.

Venning is a beast though, there's not many bigs with his size let alone his footwork to match. We won't be the only ones to struggle against him, he'll make an all-conference team. I think Tobi and Ferm are both adequate post defenders they're just not that strong. Where they need to improve is contesting under control from the help side. There's a lot of plays in the PnR where they come flying over at the guard and leave the big with an easy 2 or they're completely out of the play for a rebound

Fermin is not our productive person down low.....he got points yesterday very late in the game when the Bonnies began to lay off
Boy do I disagree with this. Christian is averaging 10p, 8r and 3b per 40, and the trend line is up. These averages are almost identical to Mo in his soph year. And to your point about his productivity coming when Bona "laid off" (huh?), he had 5p 6r and 3b vs Bona in the first half against the man-child -- in 12 minutes of the 1st half, actually. If the trend line continues, he's going to be a force before the season ends (if he isn't already)

Boy do I disagree with this. Christian is averaging 10p, 8r and 3b per 40, and the trend line is up. These averages are almost identical to Mo in his soph year. And to your point about his productivity coming when Bona "laid off" (huh?), he had 5p 6r and 3b vs Bona in the first half against the man-child -- in 12 minutes of the 1st half, actually. If the trend line continues, he's going to be a force before the season ends (if he isn't already)
I like that he gets to the line
i love that he makes them when he gets there

I like that he gets to the line
i love that he makes them when he gets there
That and even if he misses the first attempt to go up to the basket..... he keeps fighting for the rebounds and attacking the basket.... no matter who he's matched up against.

He's come a long way already since his freshmen year last year.

After a dunkathon of his own (plus a half bye week for VCU) DaRon Holmes has tied Tobi for 4th in dunks. Can’t wait to see Tobi move back up the charts Friday night.

Speaking of Friday night, it’s 2000s throwback night. Which 2000s era dunker does Tobi most resemble? I had a hard time thinking of someone who just impressed w pure verticality vs doing trick dunks. Maybe Iguodola?

After a dunkathon of his own (plus a half bye week for VCU) DaRon Holmes has tied Tobi for 4th in dunks. Can’t wait to see Tobi move back up the charts Friday night.

Speaking of Friday night, it’s 2000s throwback night. Which 2000s era dunker does Tobi most resemble? I had a hard time thinking of someone who just impressed w pure verticality vs doing trick dunks. Maybe Iguodola?

Do you consider Vince Carter more 90s or 2000s? For current guys I'd say Aaron Gordon.

Do you consider Vince Carter more 90s or 2000s? For current guys I'd say Aaron Gordon.
When I was looking for a comp, Vince Carter kept popping up as the top 1 or 2 dunkers of all time. This isn’t a knock on Tobi, but I feel like he doesn’t quite dunk the same - ie, windmills, super acrobatic, etc. Tobi just jumps so high he almost never has to adjust except to reach back for a poorly thrown oop or something.

Gordon seems like a great comp

When I was looking for a comp, Vince Carter kept popping up as the top 1 or 2 dunkers of all time. This isn’t a knock on Tobi, but I feel like he doesn’t quite dunk the same - ie, windmills, super acrobatic, etc. Tobi just jumps so high he almost never has to adjust except to reach back for a poorly thrown oop or something.

Gordon seems like a great comp
Vince had an insane combination of power and leaping ability in his dunks. And he had the best dunk completion performance of all time. He’s also 9th in 3PM, 20th in total points in NBA history, and the only player to ever play in 4 decades… guaranteed Hall of Famer.

The first dunk in Rams' hoopology? I'm thinking it was Charles McLeod, aka Charlie Mack the Jumpin Jack, in about '66 ... McLeod, from Matoaca High by way of Virginia State University, was a high riser in the old RPI days. That was just prior to "The Alcindor Rule" that eliminated the slam from about '68 to '75 ... I kind of recall George "Tic" Price dunking in '75 and '76 ... but the first I can say for sure I saw was Dec. 16, '76, at Coliseum in the dreadful 50-point loss to Auburn ... in the late going of the rout (Auburn was pressing and rubbing it in), Gerald Henderson got a break-away and threw it down with a vengeance, as if to say to the visitors "how ya' like that!"

Back