Recruiting Transfer Portal

RE Roosevelt Wheeler: Kenny Payne at Louisville has been an abject dumpster fire. No structure or leadership from the coaching staff. Most of the players on the roster visibly regressed and all of the freshmen save one (who is a Louisville native) have already entered the transfer portal. I wouldn't judge Wheeler on what he did this past season.

Wheeler is 6'11 240 and firmly in his physical prime

Coming out of HS?
Rivals had him at #43
247 Sports had him at #69
ESPN had him at #82

He didn't just forget how to be a basketball player...he was on a set of bad teams in a crumbling program with a TERRIBLE coach and staff at the end of the Chris Mack experiment and then again this year with the super out of his depth Kenny Payne.

I guess what really matters is what MR and Staff think.....time will tell

Roosevelt was offered by VCU. His final five from an article, ...
In what is potentially the final piece of the Cardinals' recruiting class, four-star Class of 2021 center Roosevelt Wheeler announced Monday that he has committed to the Louisville men's basketball program.

The Richmond, Va. native had included Louisville in his top five schools last month; choosing them over LSU, NC State, VCU and Hampton.

He was definitely on Coach Rhoades radar back in 2021.

It's weird to me how any followers of our team could suggest that this kid, or other bigs wouldn't play well here given their history at other schools. All good...keep under estimating Roose and our conditioning coaches. I on the other hand firmly believe we would get this dude in great shape and excelling at a high level, but agree to disagree.

It's weird to me how any followers of our team could suggest that this kid, or other bigs wouldn't play well here given their history at other schools. All good...keep under estimating Roose and our conditioning coaches. I on the other hand firmly believe we would get this dude in great shape and excelling at a high level, but agree to disagree.

It’s pretty understandable to see why one would question a guy who couldn’t crack the rotation on one of the worst teams in college basketball.

The reward certainly outweighs the risk and it’s a move I am for but it’s certainly not a slam dunk.

A transfer class of Wheeler and Nickel would be a class with a ton of potential.

Brandon Johns, Jr. weighs 240. Marcos Santos-Silva weighed 250 while at VCU. Levi Stockard III weighed 245 when he arrived at VCU and played his second year at 240. Others include:

Brendon Medley-Bacon - 240
Kris Lane - 245
Lewis Djonkam - 245
Even though John's listed weight is 240, he said he lost 20 pounds as part of his summer training regime in preparation for havoc. So, he played 220.

Louisville was a dumpster fire. I think he has what we need to fill John’s vacancy.

I guess I’m just wondering if anybody has seen anything from Wheeler in the last two years of actual playing time that makes you think he’s a good fit and a plug n play Ram or if you’re just thinking he was a highly rated recruit so he must be good?

I guess I’m just wondering if anybody has seen anything from Wheeler in the last two years of actual playing time that makes you think he’s a good fit and a plug n play Ram or if you’re just thinking he was a highly rated recruit so he must be good?
Yes, convince me. I just find it hard to believe a coach who went 4-28 wouldn't have given him more playing time.

He was a highly rated recruit, so what happened?

I don't think Louisville is at all like the Michigan situation.

If he can still play, sure, why not.

This year was the first in some time we struck gold in the transfer portal.

I think after a couple of seasons of Khris Lanes, Tsohonis, BMB, and Nichols never even seeing the floor we shouldn't just believe that any guy we bring in is going to just jump into a Johns level of production.

I am not sure what kinda of big would benefit us most though. It was definitely nice to have a guy the could score at the basket, but an imposing space eater/ shot blocker/rebounder would probably shore up our weaknesses. Our biggest problem has been getting punished on the glass too much. The right guy with Deloach could really mitigate that. I think our guards and wings should be good enough that the frontcourt won't need to carry as much of a scoring burden.

Shriver proved less of a sniper and more of a hot hand/Rhythm guy that could go on a 8-0 run by himself. I hope we go out and find just a pure bucket getter. We need someone to take some load off of Ace and while Nunn/Watkins will surely be better next year, they have just been too streaky to me. We need someone who can just create their own shot and pull us out of nosedive when the offense doesn't click.

Ok there’s a couple productive plays there. Guess we’ll see if there’s mutual interest.

That’s the thing, isn’t it…there is so little “meat” on the RW bone these last 2 years. My gut tells me he could be a total “change of scenery” reclamation AND come home AND move down to a league where he would be an instant game changer

But I’m just some rando on a basketball message board :lol:

No matter where young Mr. Wheeler ends up, I’ll be following his career and wishing one of RVa’s own well.

Back