Recruiting Transfer Portal

My understanding is that the Transfer Portal will be used somewhat differently this year. Previously most kids that entered the portal transferred. Apparently this year a lot of players will enter the portal for the sole purpose of leveraging their current school for more NIL. Bid the price up. More kids also have agents now working the system. I have noticed more kids who entered the portal saying it does not necessarily mean they won't return. Pretty much total free-agency right now. It is what it is.
There seems to be no downside just by entering the portal. Even if the coach wants to give you a scholarship for the following year. It's truly year-to-year free agency. But if looks like we have interests in a lot of players. I'm calling it the Coach O Menu. He know who he wants but looks on the menu anyway. heck he knew the dishes before the menu.

My man Saint Thomas is on the board!! VCU offered him in '21. We were in his final list. Dude is walking bucket!!

20 and 10 from the 3 position!

Last edited:
I saw that, looks like Lilley was a backup center who played limited minutes to spell Qudus Wahab most of the time. He was a holdover from Micah Shrewsberry's last season.
I know him personally, grew up in the same area and played against him in pick up games before as recent as last summer when Rhoades took the Penn State job. That should tell you all you need to know. VCU should not be going after anyone who is playing pickup ball at the local YMCA... LOL.

I know him personally, grew up in the same area and played against him in pick up games before as recent as last summer when Rhoades took the Penn State job. That should tell you all you need to know. VCU should not be going after anyone who is playing pickup ball at the local YMCA... LOL.

Bones Hyland played pickup games with yokels. Does that mean we should have bypassed him?

Lilley dropped 40 pounds and showed a really good motor..very good offensive rebounder and a soft touch around the basket.

But he's got chronic back issues..which is why I would pass..

Bones Hyland played pickup games with yokels. Does that mean we should have bypassed him?

Lilley dropped 40 pounds and showed a really good motor..very good offensive rebounder and a soft touch around the basket.

But he's got chronic back issues..which is why I would pass..

Wow good to see I take some time away and you are still the same :D

The video of Bones was 6 years ago... so he was 17... not in college yet... messing around for fun at a park. There's a huge difference between that and Lilley, a DI Men's Basketball Player casually and unironically playing pickup basketball and getting worked nonetheless, at the local YMCA in the offseason less than 12 months ago. If you are a serious basketball player, you aren't running casual pick up games at a YMCA nor would your head coach probably even allow that. When I played baseball at VCU, it was made crystal clear that me and teammates were to NOT play pick up basketball as it could result in injury.

My point is, he can shed as much weight as he wants but he's not good. His offseason training is playing against kids and old men at the Y. That's not good.

My man Saint Thomas is on the board!! VCU offered him in '21. We were in his final list. Dude is walking bucket!!

20 and 10 from the 3 position!

I loved him when we were recruiting him out of high school, his numbers at Northern Col. are what I thought he had the potential to become. I have no idea if we are talking to him, but I'd be good with that.
But I always want to add Aquinas after his name.

Wow good to see I take some time away and you are still the same :D

There's a huge difference between that and Lilley, a DI Men's Basketball Player casually and unironically playing pickup basketball and getting worked nonetheless, at the local YMCA in the offseason less than 12 months ago. If you are a serious basketball player, you aren't running casual pick up games at a YMCA nor would your head coach probably even allow that. When I played baseball at VCU, it was made crystal clear that me and teammates were to NOT play pick up basketball as it could result in injury

Many of us old timers used to play pickup with VCU players at Franklin Street gym.

Me...Alvin Robinson, Bruce Pettway, Dom Franco...to name a few...

I ran with Grant Hill at Nottaway Park in Vienna..it's more common than you think.

Also, he obviously wasn't soley working out at the local Y. He went back to Penn state and spent 8 weeks with the team before they toured the Bahamas in late July.

I sincerely doubt Demetrius Lilley was trying all that hard against a bunch of hacks....

Many of us old timers used to play pickup with VCU players at Franklin Street gym.

I ran with Grant Hill at Nottaway Park in Vienna..it's more common than you think.

Also, he obviously wasn't soley working out at the local Y. He went back to Penn state and spent 8 weeks with the team before they toured the Bahamas in late July.

I sincerely doubt Demetrius Lilley was trying all that hard against a bunch of hacks....
I don't know, he looked like he was trying awfully hard. And he wasn't exactly dominating I'll just say that. The fact that we are even discussing this is ridiculous. VCU would be foolish to go after him, there are and will be plenty of better options. Nothing personal it's just my observation. I also know him personally, so I've seen him a lot more than any of you have. His high school and my high school are in the same league...

Yeah, back in the day not only did the VCU players play pick-up, but players from Virginia Union would come to Franklin Street. I also remember playing pick up with Ronnie Wade when he played for ODU during the early days of the Cary Street Gym.

Back