Recruiting Transfer Portal

Yeah, back in the day not only did the VCU players play pick-up, but players from Virginia Union would come to Franklin Street. I also remember playing pick up with Ronnie Wade when he played for ODU during the early days of the Cary Street Gym.
Played with Milton Bell many times back in the day......what retired me is the day Boom Osby played in my run.

Jrod, B Roz, etc use to come out for pick up. I remember doing a behind the back pass from driving the lane to Roz who was on the three pt line who casually drained it. He gave a casual point to me heading back up on the court like “nice one”. 🙂

Jrod, B Roz, etc use to come out for pick up. I remember doing a behind the back pass from driving the lane to Roz who was on the three pt line who casually drained it. He gave a casual point to me heading back up on the court like “nice one”. 🙂
...now tell us about the turnover when you threw the ball to the next court and Roz just shook his head. :lol:

VT will now have to replace it's entire starting line-up next year. Four players have entered the portal in the last 24-hours. There may be more to come. Around a 1000 entries now. Not at all a fan of VT but it supports what we were discussing earlier. You better be peddle to the meddle on the recruiting front. No time off now. You can lose your whole team in a matter of days. I think we are going to see a new position in collegiate sports - Retention Coordinator. You are going to need both a recruiting coordinator and retention coordinator to be successful.

VT will now have to replace it's entire starting line-up next year. Four players have entered the portal in the last 24-hours. There may be more to come. Around a 1000 entries now. Not at all a fan of VT but it supports what we were discussing earlier. You better be peddle to the meddle on the recruiting front. No time off now. You can lose your whole team in a matter of days. I think we are going to see a new position in collegiate sports - Retention Coordinator. You are going to need both a recruiting coordinator and retention coordinator to be successful.

Tech has resources and conference affiliation at its disposal and lost everyone. Wild times out here.

I agree. When you see a program with their conference affiliation and plentiful resources struggling to retain players it scares the h out of you. Stability has gone the way of the unicorn.

Update - VT now has had 6 players enter the portal. Of course there are several others that have used up their eligibility as well.

...now tell us about the turnover when you threw the ball to the next court and Roz just shook his head. :lol:
I actually didn’t have a turnover that game (Though I was playing mainly SF.) but Roz did have one atleast kind of. He pump faked a guy on a three who jumped like heck and then Roz went to shoot it (I guess force of habit of drawing a foul) and he hit the dude right in the face with the shot. So maybe it should be a block 😆. The game stopped for a few mins cuz people were laughing too hard. It was hard to say if that dude had a red face from the ball or embarrassment.

It may all be in my head, but when I look at the team lists that have reached out to portal players, I see two trends.

1. VCU is the best basketball school on a list filled with mid major and lower conference schools
or...
2. The list is all power5 schools and VCU.

I don't think the top transfer targets are listing ODU or Radford, even though they may have reached out. VCU can compete, especially with poopty power5 programs.

Can't wait for some dominoes to start falling into place.

1. VCU is the best basketball school on a list filled with mid major and lower conference schools
or...
2. The list is all power5 schools and VCU.

I don't think the top transfer targets are listing ODU or Radford, even though they may have reached out. VCU can compete, especially with poopty power5 programs.
You're not seeing things. Regardless of our postseason success (or lack thereof) in recent years, VCU is pretty well established as a relevant program. We may not have as much in the way of NIL dollars, but we can absolutely compete for the guys who want to play - and that's still the overwhelming majority of players, despite the rise of NIL deals.

Back