Recruiting Transfer Portal

It may all be in my head, but when I look at the team lists that have reached out to portal players, I see two trends.

1. VCU is the best basketball school on a list filled with mid major and lower conference schools
or...
2. The list is all power5 schools and VCU.

I don't think the top transfer targets are listing ODU or Radford, even though they may have reached out. VCU can compete, especially with poopty power5 programs.

Can't wait for some dominoes to start falling into place.
Some of these poopty P5 teams still have pretty deep NIL coffers. Going to be fun to see how this all shakes out. I think this off-season might really show us where we stand in the new landscape.

I don't get some of these transfers unless they are just looking for an NIL boost at their current school. You have guys playing 25 minutes a game and scoring 6-8 ppg jumping into the portal. With minutes like that and marginal ppg, you ought to just be happy you playing. Maybe they are looking for a bump in pay because 6-8 ppg is not like you are an allstar. And these are from both P5 and mid-major programs.

I don't get some of these transfers unless they are just looking for an NIL boost at their current school.
I wondered that last night- how many of these transfer portal announcements are purely "give me a raise" negotiation moves? But couldn't those be potentially prone to backfire especially IF someone else is on the teams' radars? Or are they based on "F it, I'll take my chances" thoughts because they actually hate it where they are anyway, which pretty much describes the majority of "college students" today?

I wondered that last night- how many of these transfer portal announcements are purely "give me a raise" negotiation moves? But couldn't those be potentially prone to backfire especially IF someone else is on the teams' radars? Or are they based on "F it, I'll take my chances" thoughts because they actually hate it where they are anyway, which pretty much describes the majority of "college students" today?
Yep, I agree. Also, the trend over the last decade or so at the HS level seems to be HS players changing schools all over the place. So this just continues the trend.
But I am not a fan of the annual transfer student/Free agency with no penalty.

Which is awkward. Are players just gonna simply start entering the portal to threaten like contract negotiations in the pro leagues? Basically their version of sitting out? Some think this is awesome but honestly it’s just wrecking the sport. At what point are players considered employees?

There is definitely a new dynamic expected in the portal this year. Many players will use the portal to leverage NIL deals with their team of record. There are also a lot of "Street agents" involved in the market place now. I have noticed numerous players who have entered the portal add the caveat that they may consider returning to their present team. That locks the coach up to a degree. Does he immediately recruit over the player or play a wait and see game. Personally I would strike immediately in terms of roster replacement. I don't advocate playing the waiting game.

Back