Recruiting Transfer Portal

Quality over quantity. Filling a need versus addressing a need. We can go get some total random 2 pt a game PF if we want but that does nothing for us.
There's alot of quatity and quality out there..that doesn't require breaking the the bank.. especially up front..even more than last year.

Everyone of these transfer has an agent. This program should first ask agent for a list of players at the position which fit within the VCU price range for the open slot and go from there..

Yep. Fans are blasting the coaching staff on social media particularly the founders of RN. They been shaming VCU and Odom for not pursuing Deloach. Basically not bringing “Ramily” back to VCU. Hello the dude did walk out last year when Odom tried to keep him. That was reported multiple times.
Personally, if Odom wanted him and felt that he would help us win games I see no problem bringing him back. Conversely, I have no problem with Odom deciding to go another direction. I don't get with anyone making a big deal about this either way.

Last edited:
Good for the coaches (and/or Ed) for wanting to move on from Deloach, whether it be for his skills being deemed not a good fit, character flaws or money.

If the RN guys, or anyone for that matter, wanted to be critical of RO, it should be for the package deal that they fell for last year.
You think keeping Billups and bringing in Bam should be criticized? We needed bigs so getting Wheeler and pursuing Reid made perfect sense, it just didn't work out. If adding Nelson sealed the deal for the other three, so be it. I don't see it as anybody falling for anything.

My assistant coach (elementary school league for our kids) played junior college basketball. Lots of his friends from the team ended up in low level P5 programs. The stories I've heard from the 90s are pretty much the same as now, just above board.
Pretty much what I've been saying forever. And there are very few programs who have been saints.

You think keeping Billups and bringing in Bam should be criticized? We needed bigs so getting Wheeler and pursuing Reid made perfect sense, it just didn't work out. If adding Nelson sealed the deal for the other three, so be it. I don't see it as anybody falling for anything.
I am not counting Billups, since he was already here. Bam was a good addition. No question there. The others not.

Perhaps it was a move that made sense if we had nobody else who we could get (doubt it). We had scholarships leftover as it was.

The more relevant point to today is that I’m good with RO not taking Deloach back.

There's alot of quatity and quality out there..that doesn't require breaking the the bank.. especially up front..even more than last year.

Everyone of these transfer has an agent. This program should first ask agent for a list of players at the position which fit within the VCU price range for the open slot and go from there..
But we don't know the full scope of:
  • Who the staff is targeting
  • Who is interested in us
  • What they want for NIL money
  • Everyone that is coming back
  • What our NIL budget is
  • What our current players are asking for
You have to make like 5051125125 logical leaps (in this case probably just a few illogical ones though) to get to a place of "we're spending too much time targeting guys that want more money than we can afford and the winning strategy is to grab scrubs so we can save NIL money"

You miss the point again... There 2600 players in the portal. A ton of whom can fill our current needs without breaking VCU collective NIL $ 400,000 bank.

Yet, the program continues to go after players which it cannot afford like Zed Key, Terrance Williams Jr or Joshua Jefferson.

Identify, target and acquire players that for our system within budget.

That's it! Period.
We have more than $400k. That is what we spent *last year*

You gotta understand, he is a Mason fan. Not spending money on their basketball program is hardwired into their fan's DNA
So Mason lost five guys to the portal and they haven't picked up anyone yet.lol

Back