Recruiting Transfer Portal

I don't know anything about anything but words matter. Rothstein didn't say Jefferson cancelled his visit. He said that Jefferson's visit was cancelled 🤷‍♂️. Also, there are some so emotionally attached to the idea that NIL is the Armageddon for college sports that they are making huge leaps with no evidence.

This will be the first season in NCAA history where players are earning money AND having the totally unfettered offseason ability to switch schools immediately and play.

In other words, the NCAA (a cold, indifferent father who day-drinks) is taking NCAA Men's basketball (a toddler....like, one with juice stains around his mouth who cannot sit still) on a boat ride...at night....in Florida.

A little hand wringing and pearl clutching seems like one of the normal 7 Stages of the Offseason topics

Onward and Upward!!!
I need my mommy, and a 4/5 star recruit. 😂

I don't know anything about anything but words matter. Rothstein didn't say Jefferson cancelled his visit. He said that Jefferson's visit was cancelled 🤷‍♂️. Also, there are some so emotionally attached to the idea that NIL is the Armageddon for college sports that they are making huge leaps with no evidence.
There are people that think that VCU should only recruit low level players with hearts of gold. Whether its stars, offers, ratings, or NIL, there's always a reason that VCU shouldn't waste their time trying to compete with bigger programs.

Thankfully our current and past 3 or 4 staffs haven't listened to them.

In its current state it will be. Mid majors will not survive. Majors will be fine though some will fall back. At some fans are gonna stop paying and the whole thing falls apart or fans of schools stop supporting athletics altogether. Take your pick. NIL right now is not sustainable. Other it fails or the schools do eventually. You think even VCU can sustain forking over probably a million every year to field a competitive team? Based on what? We spent 400K last year on the backs of fans. The prices will keep going up every year. Who is gonna pay for it? The fans? The school? Because right now the fans are being asked to fund this circus with not an ounce of transparency. How long do you think fans put up with this?

How do you know this is the reason?
He doesn't. Now anytime a player chooses another school over VCU, it has to be because of NIL and not the other myriad multitude of less than logical reasons a 19/20 year old makes any decision.

I know it is really hard for some here to fathom, but not everyone likes VCU or vibes with it or sees RVA as some kind of utopia paradise. This forum is really cultish at times.

We are going to end up with the kids who want to be here. NIL is a factor yes, but it is not the sole and total measure of the program. We still have a lot going for us and come tip off we will have a team of talented players who want to play for VCU.

In its current state it will be. Mid majors will not survive. Majors will be fine though some will fall back. At some fans are gonna stop paying and the whole thing falls apart or fans of schools stop supporting athletics altogether. Take your pick. NIL right now is not sustainable. Other it fails or the schools do eventually. You think even VCU can sustain forking over probably a million every year to field a competitive team? Based on what? We spent 400K last year on the backs of fans. The prices will keep going up every year. Who is gonna pay for it? The fans? The school? Because right now the fans are being asked to fund this circus with not an ounce of transparency. How long do you think fans put up with this?
Here are the facts that I choose to not ignore.

• Today there are approximately $4700 D1 scholarship basketball players. That number does not fluctuate based on any amount of NIL money.
  • Each school has 13 Scholarships. That number does not fluctuate based on NIL
  • Each D1 basketball game has 200 minutes available. That number does not fluctuate based on NIL money.
  • The same number of players that were available to VCU two year ago will be available in two years.
  • NIL doesn't change the talent pool. Quite honestly, the players we cant afford today, we couldn't afford 5 years ago because they were still getting paid.
  • VCU, as a non P4 schools has the advantage of not having football.
Now if you ae looking for someone to blame, Its the NCAA. They have had since Aug 8th 2014 to start to come up with a plan. But like a lot large entities, they thought they were too big to be taken down.

**Bonus** Good movie to give multiple perspectives

He doesn't. Now anytime a player chooses another school over VCU, it has to be because of NIL and not the other myriad multitude of less than logical reasons a 19/20 year old makes any decision.

I know it is really hard for some here to fathom, but not everyone likes VCU or vibes with it or sees RVA as some kind of utopia paradise. This forum is really cultish at times.

We are going to end up with the kids who want to be here. NIL is a factor yes, but it is not the sole and total measure of the program. We still have a lot going for us and come tip off we will have a team of talented players who want to play for VCU.
We literally lost two major recruits solely because of last min NIL by other schools. This is not a good argument. Also people need to get this idea that players are coming for the name on the front of the jersey. Not anymore. Those days of Skeen, Theus, Maynor, etc holding up the letters on their jerseys after wins are over. They are not here for VCU. You are saying fans to need to get over themselves thinking everyone wants to come here. You are partially correct. Fans need to understand they are coming for money and should be treated as such. We aren’t losing recruits because of school names. We had USC and Wake dusted and then both came with big check books. We’ve out recruited major schools before. This is different. Our facilities and staff mean nothing. It’s simply how much can you pay me? Players aren’t even hiding it so why deny it?

Here are the facts that I choose to not ignore.

• Today there are approximately $4700 D1 scholarship basketball players. That number does not fluctuate based on any amount of NIL money.
  • Each school has 13 Scholarships. That number does not fluctuate based on NIL
  • Each D1 basketball game has 200 minutes available. That number does not fluctuate based on NIL money.
  • The same number of players that were available to VCU two year ago will be available in two years.
  • NIL doesn't change the talent pool. Quite honestly, the players we cant afford today, we couldn't afford 5 years ago because they were still getting paid.
  • VCU, as a non P4 schools has the advantage of not having football.
Now if you ae looking for someone to blame, Its the NCAA. They have had since Aug 8th 2014 to start to come up with a plan. But like a lot large entities, they thought they were too big to be taken down.

**Bonus** Good movie to give multiple perspectives

I have to disagree on 5. We got 4 star recruits the last 10 years. There is no chance we get 4 or higher in this climate. We can’t afford it. Honesty 3 might be pushing it.

We literally lost two major recruits solely because of last min NIL by other schools. This is not a good argument. Also people need to get this idea that players are coming for the name on the front of the jersey. Not anymore. Those days of Skeen, Theus, Maynor, etc holding up the letters on their jerseys after wins are over. They are not here for VCU. You are saying fans to need to get over themselves thinking everyone wants to come here. You are partially correct. Fans need to understand they are coming for money and should be treated as such. We aren’t losing recruits because of school names. We had USC and Wake dusted and then both came with big check books. We’ve out recruited major schools before. This is different. Our facilities and staff mean nothing. It’s simply how much can you pay me? Players aren’t even hiding it so why deny it?
We've lost players for decades because a major school came in with a late offer

While I don't disagree that players were being paid before, under the table, I think it's naive and foolish to think that allowing it to be both open and lawless doesn't greatly magnify the issue. Crime is easier if you don't have to launder the money.

Back