Recruiting Transfer Portal

- I have no idea who and how hard teams are recruiting our players and neither do you.

Because your comments assumes that we warded off P5 teams.
False. Once again, you keep making assumptions and then claim I am. You are assuming nobody has interest in our players, which is crazy. Like stop with this argument because none of us knows who is recruiting who or what offers there are. All speculation.
What player on our roster would a P5 be after? Outside of him who would a P5 be going after with significant nil? Bam and Lawal maybe?
Uhm, yeah. Are you trying to say that is insignificant? That is like 30% of our rotation minutes. Think the team would look pretty bad without them. I guess because Jason Nelson isn't getting a mil from Kansas our entire team is incapable of getting offers???
You were the one talking about things must be ok as the whole roster stayed.
No, but the entire narrative throughout this season was NIL is Armageddon and we will have an entirely new roster year to year and lose everyone. Which I have demonstrated is not the case.

What player on our roster would a P5 be after? A player isn’t leaving VCU to go down unless they weren’t getting mins so your 300 team comment makes no sense. Max is about the only player a P5 would be going hard after. Outside of him who would a P5 be going after with significant nil? Bam and Lawal maybe?

You were the one talking about things must be ok as the whole roster stayed. This is devils advocate. Because your comments assumes that we warded off P5 teams.
Max, Zeb, Bam, Tobi would be P5 locks on the open market (thank goodness and fingers crossed Tobi/Max are staying or going pro).
Fats might get a look at a P5 based on upside and shooting ability.

Our roster is *solid* and you saying "it's NIT level and not up to P5 standards is really selling it short.

Being outbid by "big time programs" isn't just a VCU problem. Even P5 programs are having NIL issues and getting outbid by larger P5 programs. There always was a hierarchy to college basketball, and always will be. Just because it is getting shaken up a little bit doesn't mean the sky is falling.

Really??? Carl Hall is the only one ever mentioned here. Name another..
Just in the past few years:

Trent Noah (2024, committed to South Carolina)
Silas Demary Jr. (USC, then Georgia)
Freddie Dilione (Tennessee, now in portal)
Tarique Foster (decommitted after Rhoades left)
Mike Williams (committed to LSU)
Jack Clark (transferred from La Salle to NC State, then to Clemson)
Efton Reid twice (LSU, then Wake Forest)

Freddie D. comes to mind. Even you referenced Silas D in a previous post. So let us not try to pretend it hasn’t happened
I agree, but both of those were in the NIL era to be fair.

I could dig through old recruiting threads to find other examples but it really isn't worth the time. Kids have jumped to bigger programs and leagues since the start of college basketball.

NOT REMOTELY SIMILAR

VCU HAS ONLY LOST A PLAYER TO A BIGGER SCHOOL ONCE BUT IT WILL HAPPEN EVERY TIME WITH NIL

NOBODY WANTS OUR PLAYERS BUT WE CANT AFFORD THEM AND WE ALSO CANT AFFORD OTHER PLAYERS

ABANDON YOUR POSTS! FLEE, FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!

NOT REMOTELY SIMILAR

VCU HAS ONLY LOST A PLAYER TO A BIGGER SCHOOL ONCE BUT IT WILL HAPPEN EVERY TIME WITH NIL

NOBODY WANTS OUR PLAYERS BUT WE CANT AFFORD THEM AND WE ALSO CANT AFFORD OTHER PLAYERS

ABANDON YOUR POSTS! FLEE, FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!
tumblr_mvatu3WAHo1qda125o5_r1_250.gifv

He saying..nothing has changed..we've always had players swiped out from under us..so why worry...

Im saying everything has changed with portal..

The only guy we've talked about in that category before the portal era is Carl Hall.

100% of the you picked were in the portal era

I'm saying we have to stop going after players we can't afford in the portal era..

Last edited:
He saying..nothing has changed..we've always had players swiped out from under us..so why worry...

The only guy we've talked about in that category before the portal era is Carl Hall.

I'm saying we have to stop going after players we can't afford in the portal era..
Yup, portal changed our recruiting luck

How would you have any idea if we can't afford them when you don't know what they're asking for and you don't know what we can pay them?

Recruiting high schools is not the same as going after power 5 transfers who are demanding 6-figure 1 year duration compensation packages to the highest bidder.

Guys like Zed Key, Terrance Williams jr are Power 5 starters at their previous stop and making 6 figures at their prior power 5 football school. They are first and foremost looking for bigger 6 figures packages at other power 5 football schools..if by chance a mid major like Dayton can scrounge up enough NIL to pay them..of course..they will take it..but a school like Dayton or VCU for that matter won't have money to fill additional spots with quality talent..

That's why Dayton lost Brea..they didn't have enough money left after acquiring Key.

The fact that Jefferson cancelled his VCU while visiting UVA means that he anticipates UVA or the other Power 5 school is going to meet his Financial demands..

If our staff continues to go after these guys when they could be looking at equally or more talented cheaper transfers in the portal then they are stupid.

Last edited:

Ok now do the years we actually brought in 3 and 4 star recruits which is pretty much impossible now. We use to be able to pull recruits over other majors because of our facilities and coaches. Thats not gonna work anymore.

How would you have any idea if we can't afford them when you don't know what they're asking for and you don't know what we can pay them?
I don’t agree with his idea that we shouldn’t pursue certain players but I think if we take VCU nil’s post about 400K paid we can work out some stuff on our own. If we had 2 mil NIL lying around you think Silas, Reid, etc would be walking away?

That's why Dayton lost Brea..they didn't have enough money left after acquiring Key.
Or he saw what they paid and said I’m out. You never know what hard feeling might be there for a guy getting big NIL to come and you’ve grinding for a years with a school and getting nothing close to that.

Back