Recruiting Transfer Portal

I am not counting Billups, since he was already here. Bam was a good addition. No question there. The others not.

Perhaps it was a move that made sense if we had nobody else who we could get (doubt it). We had scholarships leftover as it was.

The more relevant point to today is that I’m good with RO not taking Deloach back.
Well, when you said the he fell for the "package" I assumed that included Billups since he was free to leave too but elected to stay (and reportedly was the initiator) of reuniting their AAU team at VCU. So I don't see how you would not include him as part of the "package."

The move made sense from a talent/need perspective, it just didn't work out. I just take issue with the statement the Odom "fell" for it like he got duped into making it happen.

I'm good with Deloach not returning too...if we have a better option lined up.

We retained Ace during the NIL era. Could we have done it again? That is a great "what if".

There really isn't a point in arguing this. I think VCU will be fine. You think the program is going to collapse. We can circle back to this when VCU is at or near the top of the A10 next march.
I didn’t say the program will collapse. I think if nothing changes the sport will. I also don’t think NIL helps programs like us as we’re a program that thrives on development. That’s always been our MO. NIL favors schools like UR that can just buy pre made talent. We’re a state funded school. Imagine if VCU starts using funds for NIL. Tax payers will lose their 💩. Also last I checked we finished 5th this year with a first team A10 player. Unless we plan on winning the A10 because everyone else got poached to he l l (Which might happen.) we better find some players. Quite simply the roster wasn’t good enough this year and Shulga (And occasionally Bairstow) masked many weaknesses of it.

Somebody asked this but I don't think anyone addressed it.

With these NIL deals, can we once and for all bury this notion that these are kids who need to be handled with kid gloves regarding criticism moving forward? The narrative was always that they aren't professionals so we shouldn't call them out like we do NBA players. I think if you are seeking adult compensation you should expect adult treatment.

With these NIL deals, can we once and for all bury this notion that these are kids who need to be handled with kid gloves regarding criticism moving forward? The narrative was always that they aren't professionals so we shouldn't call them out like we do NBA players. I think if you are seeking adult compensation you should expect adult treatment.
#3365 I talked about this. No more of this coddling stuff.

Again, anyone has always been free to criticize, but your criticism will also be subject to criticism. Assh*les are still assh*les, whether they're being assh*les to pros or amateurs.
So I can kind of home in on this theory- If you criticize a player’s performance you are an a hole no matter what. Correct? We should just be positive about everyone’s play all the time.

“Hey Fermin just lost the ball for the 6th possession in a row. Good try man. I’m sure you’ll get it the 7th.”

“Nelson hasn’t scored any points in 20 but his hustle is great. Plus that lucky fan in the 4th row gets to go home with an imprint of a basketball on his face. Lucky guy!”

So I can kind of home in on this theory- If you criticize a player’s performance you are an a hole no matter what. Correct? We should just be positive about everyone’s play all the time.

“Hey Fermin just lost the ball for the 6th possession in a row. Good try man. I’m sure you’ll get it the 7th.”

“Nelson hasn’t scored any points in 20 but his hustle is great. Plus that lucky fan in the 4th row gets to go home with an imprint of a basketball on his face. Lucky guy!”
No, it's not that any criticism = being an ahole, it's that being an ahole = being an ahole, and the paid vs unpaid nature of the target doesn't really change the equation all that much.

I personally have never had an issue discussing players performance. I do think some people let their emotions cause them to cross over into personal attacks. Like D. Holmes said, just be respectful and that applies to all human beings in my opinion

You miss the point again... There 2600 players in the portal. A ton of whom can fill our current needs without breaking VCU collective NIL $ 400,000 bank.

Yet, the program continues to go after players which it cannot afford like Zed Key, Terrance Williams Jr or Joshua Jefferson.

Identify, target and acquire players that for our system within budget.

That's it! Period.
Is that 2,600 number right? If so, that's around 50% of all college basketball players on scholarship in the portal. That's absolutely ridiculous.

There are people that think that VCU should only recruit low level players with hearts of gold. Whether its stars, offers, ratings, or NIL, there's always a reason that VCU shouldn't waste their time trying to compete with bigger programs.

Thankfully our current and past 3 or 4 staffs haven't listened to them.
And there were people who felt VCU should have stayed in the CAA, too. Thankfully, we didn't listen to those folks either.

Is that 2,600 number right? If so, that's around 50% of all college basketball players on scholarship in the portal. That's absolutely ridiculous.
As of right now there are 1,688 D1 players and 962 D2 players in the portal, for a total of 2,650.

The theoretical maximum number of scholarship players is 4,706 D1 players and 2,970 D2 players.

About 35.8% of all players in D1 and 32.4% of all players in D2 are in the portal, which is nuts.

Coaches coach and players play....

Back