News VCU Athletic Village

I believe Richmond is the largest city country without an indoor/outdoor tennis facility. I’m not sure if that’s the exact description, but something along those lines was passed along to me from the athletic department.
Which is crazy, given how big a tennis town it is:

Our tennis programs are elite so this makes sense.
The tennis program is long overdue for its own facility. It should not be stuck in the Thalhimer Center, which is open to students whenever the tennis teams aren't competing there - that would be like if the basketball teams played in the Cary Street Gym. Lacrosse and field hockey should also have their own facilities.

Have we been to the final four since we stopped using it?
I will also say, it took us from 1953 to 2011 to make the Final Four with FSG. If we don't make another Final Four by 2069, I'll come back and complain that FSG was better.

vcuabc2.png
Hubba hubba.

I believe Richmond is the largest city country without an indoor/outdoor tennis facility. I’m not sure if that’s the exact description, but something along those lines was passed along to me from the athletic department.

Westwood Club has 9 indoor tennis courts. Raintree has indoor tennis courts. There are also plenty of other indoor tennis courts in Richmond.

been looking forward to this (ie modern state of the art facilities for all sports teams) for the past 40 years
Sure hope Ed delivers and is able to raise sufficient funds to accomplish in a reasonable time frame
go rams

I have not always been Ed's biggest advocate but he has worked extremely hard and been very diligent in pulling this (land acquisition) together. It is more than time that VCU constructs world class facilities for all of it's sports programs. Olympic sports are important too. If a school wants to be upwardly mobile in terms of conference affiliation there must be first rate facilities along with championship caliber programs across the board. It's a no-brainer that it's time for VCU to have an Athletic Village. For years the school has looked for enough contiguous land for this to come to fruition. It's been a very, very long road and to be honest this was probably the last opportunity for that vision. Ed did a fantastic job of cobbling together this 41 acres that will allow VCU to construct first rate facilities over time. The build-out will take 5-7 years.

Land in Scott's Addition is not red-hot but rather white-hot right now. This is some of the hottest land on the East Coast right now. Once the Diamond District is built-out, including the new ball-park, and with the other things going on in Scott's Addition I think this is going to be huge for the university community. Some of these facilities, like the Tennis Complex, will be available for public use. Obviously a new Soccer Stadium is necessary as Sports Backers will be part of the Diamond District development plan. There will also be both indoor and outdoor practice facilities for a number of our programs and Cross Country and Track and Field facilities. VCU has never controlled it's destiny in terms of having appropriate practice facilities. I've often wondered how some of our programs recruit at an elite level.

It's more than time folks. This is a golden opportunity for the university community. Although we are basketball centric all sports programs are important.

Go Rams!

The other thing to remember with respect to the athletic village is that the university badly needs space for additional academic buildings. Like the site of the former FSG, the Thalhimer Tennis Complex will be the site of a furure academic building. Take a look at the VCU master plan. It is nothing short of extraordinary what is going to take place in the next few years. World class folks.

I have not always been Ed's biggest advocate but he has worked extremely hard and been very diligent in pulling this (land acquisition) together. It is more than time that VCU constructs world class facilities for all of it's sports programs. Olympic sports are important too. If a school wants to be upwardly mobile in terms of conference affiliation there must be first rate facilities along with championship caliber programs across the board. It's a no-brainer that it's time for VCU to have an Athletic Village. For years the school has looked for enough contiguous land for this to come to fruition. It's been a very, very long road and to be honest this was probably the last opportunity for that vision. Ed did a fantastic job of cobbling together this 41 acres that will allow VCU to construct first rate facilities over time. The build-out will take 5-7 years.

Land in Scott's Addition is not red-hot but rather white-hot right now. This is some of the hottest land on the East Coast right now. Once the Diamond District is built-out, including the new ball-park, and with the other things going on in Scott's Addition I think this is going to be huge for the university community. Some of these facilities, like the Tennis Complex, will be available for public use. Obviously a new Soccer Stadium is necessary as Sports Backers will be part of the Diamond District development plan. There will also be both indoor and outdoor practice facilities for a number of our programs and Cross Country and Track and Field facilities. VCU has never controlled it's destiny in terms of having appropriate practice facilities. I've often wondered how some of our programs recruit at an elite level.

It's more than time folks. This is a golden opportunity for the university community. Although we are basketball centric all sports programs are important.

Go Rams!
Big East ,here we come!

As a city Richmond has both solid soccer and tennis fans that have no allegiance/affiliation with VCU. I’m not saying either of those teams are going to see packed stands for all their games but this new complex will definitely draw some new fans into the fold.

With this sort of field space a mens lacrosse team may be more feasible, again tapping into a sizeable Richmond fan base.

Back