News VCU Athletic Village

After I stopped attending VCU in december of 2010... and took a semester off... I switched back to J Sarge & switched to Business as well because of the Foreign Language requirement just to get my associates.... after that I've said F school cause I needed a dang break.
I was pre physical therapy (PT) at VCU in the late 80's/ 90s. After 3 years I couldn't get accepted to the PT program so I had to switch to biology. Most of the pre-PT requirements like anatomy, physiology, kinesiology didn't count as Biology major requirements. And the requirements for Biology like cell biology, botany, genetics, micro biology, organic chem didn't count as requirements for pre-physical therapy. And the Biology department had zero flexibility. I had 140+ credits and no degree and no money so I gave up. I went back many years later to pursue a BIS (interdisciplinary Study) degree.
Not completing my preferred course of study or finishing my degree on time was something that bothered me and affected my early job prospects.

Last edited:
I was a mass comm grad in the early 80's. Had foreign language been a requirement I probably would have switched to business too. However, I never used my mass comm degree, the money was just not good enough (long term). I nosed my way into the business world and the rest is history as they say. In the last few years my colleagues had degrees from UVA, Boston U, W&M, UofR, Xavier, Vanderbilt, Elon, H&S and Bowling Green. I held my own with my MC degree from VCU.
I love stories like this!!

Two things missing here .... on-campus baseball field (very small percent of VCU students have even seen a game) and pickleball courts (instead of tennis, a sport that few students play) .... think about the general student body.

Two things missing here .... on-campus baseball field (very small percent of VCU students have even seen a game) and pickleball courts (instead of tennis, a sport that few students play) .... think about the general student body.
The new baseball stadium will be just as much on campus as the Athletic Village.

Pickleball is for middle aged people. The students can play that when they get old and move to the suburbs.

I was a mass comm grad in the early 80's. Had foreign language been a requirement I probably would have switched to business too. However, I never used my mass comm degree, the money was just not good enough (long term). I nosed my way into the business world and the rest is history as they say. In the last few years my colleagues had degrees from UVA, Boston U, W&M, UofR, Xavier, Vanderbilt, Elon, H&S and Bowling Green. I held my own with my MC degree from VCU. My kids are past college age now. But if were to recommend education beyond HS today I would certainly tell them to give trade school a look. The cost benefit analysis is not even close. The only problem is do you want to be a HVAC tech at 55yo's?
You and I overlapped in Mass Comm. I remember there was a requirement that you take a foreign language or something else. Probably too early to have been computer science but I don't remember what it was. Anyway, I took French, learned virtually nothing in the class that I did not already know, and ended up in law school. Ha!

There's nothing wrong with pickleball. It's just that...we don't have a pickleball team.

But we do have a tennis team (two, actually!), so we need tennis courts.

I wasn’t implying pickle ball courts should be added. Just pointing out that it’s not for one demo anymore.

There are 12 courts at Chesterfield Tech Center (old Clover hill High) .... if you go early in day, it is mostly gray hairs and no hairs (some extremely good) ... but if you come after 5 p.m., it's a wide array of teenagers up ... in fact, the Tech Center has its own team (with uniforms) that will take on all comers. Ofter all 12 courts are filled and many waiting in line.

It's popular down here in FL. Many of the tennis courts also have pickleball lines. I just think of it as wiffleball tennis.

Back