News VCU Athletic Village

Do you watch them from the shuffleboard courts?
LOL....St Pete actually has a major shuffleboard club. It used to be like the local urban country club with Shuffleboard as the major game. I think they are still going pretty strong though. It bills itself at the "world's largest shuffleboard club".

It's popular down here in FL. Many of the tennis courts also have pickleball lines. I just think of it as wiffleball tennis.

The problem is the wind; consider: a pickleball only weighs seven ounces and is perforated ... due in part to the relentless wind, numerous new indoor clubs are opening around Richmond .... meanwhile, the public tennis courts have become ghostcourts. Another problem is that the tennis net is three inches higher than the pickleball net. In time, I'm looking for adjustable nets. Someone said "VCU does not have a pickleball team." No, but it has thousands of students that might like to play if given the opportunity. You can buy a good-enough paddle for $30.

The problem is the wind; consider: a pickleball only weighs seven ounces and is perforated ... due in part to the relentless wind, numerous new indoor clubs are opening around Richmond .... meanwhile, the public tennis courts have become ghostcourts. Another problem is that the tennis net is three inches higher than the pickleball net. In time, I'm looking for adjustable nets. Someone said "VCU does not have a pickleball team." No, but it has thousands of students that might like to play if given the opportunity. You can buy a good-enough paddle for $30.
Wait, when did the athletic village become a thing where the non athletes can use?

Apparently just now, right here in this thread!

"Non athletes" represent 99 percent of VCU students (probably 85 percent of which care zero about intercollegiate sports) .... perhaps they're just too embroiled in their academic endeavors to want to stretch a muscle .... less tennis courts; more pickleball courts. In a blink, it would become the schools' most popular IM sport.

Bighorn is president of the Winterpock Pickleball Association.

Last edited:
The tennis courts in the facility will supposedly available for public use when not being used by the team.

I live right beside Manchester High, with six first-class tennis courts, open to public .... in some 20 years I have almost never seen anyone playing a serious game of tennis there, other than the school team ... tennis still has a pulse in the private clubs .... but public-courts tennis is probably less popular than sumo wrestling or cricket.

I'd compare it to some extent to the switch-over, in the early '70s, from adult fast pitch to slow pitch softball .... once people were introduced to slow pitch. fast pitch was quickly laid to rest. Nearly 100 percent of adult softball is slow pitch.

I live right beside Manchester High, with six first-class tennis courts, open to public .... in some 20 years I have almost never seen anyone playing a serious game of tennis there, other than the school team ... tennis still has a pulse in the private clubs .... but public-courts tennis is probably less popular than sumo wrestling or cricket.

I'd compare it to some extent to the switch-over, in the early '70s, from adult fast pitch to slow pitch softball .... once people were introduced to slow pitch. fast pitch was quickly laid to rest. Nearly 100 percent of adult softball is slow pitch.
Pickleball and slow pitch softball. What is next fast walking?

The tennis courts at Byrd Park are absolutely packed when the weather is nice.

If you’re so interested in playing pickleball, then there’s already a facility being built at Regency. VCU doesn’t need to use its resources or land to build one.

The tennis courts at Byrd Park are absolutely packed when the weather is nice.

If you’re so interested in playing pickleball, then there’s already a facility being built at Regency. VCU doesn’t need to use its resources or land to build one.

Just because we are kicking around the subject, they just converted the tennis courts at Huguenot Park across from Johnston Willis to pickleball courts as well.

Back