VCU Media Mentions

Mo's majoring in criminal justice? Holy crap, if he somehow ended up being a cop instead of a pro basketball or pro football player...let's just say I would feel sorry for any criminals he encountered.
He'll leave VCU with a masters in criminal justice, so I doubt he'd ever be a beat cop. It he doesn't play pro sports, then he's going to have a lot of career options.

If not a troll an absolute antagonist. He's so mad that he is on the VCU beat and not UVA or VA tech.

Agreed. when you say they leave with "work to be done" that's an antagonist. Every team has "work to be done" at the end of season, it's called getting ready for next season. He also only made a one sentence mention of the A-10 Championship something these seniors get to relish. Outside of the National Champs and even then every player is going to be sad that their senior year is over regardless of how it necessarily ends.

And why even put in the "likely a target of Alabama," there is no evidence of that and it's just trolling the Shaka Watch situation which should be non-existent with the new practice facility and recruits and every time he gets asked the question.

I feel like a lot of you guys are quick to dig deep for any kind of "anti-VCU" sentiment from sportswriters. Pearrell is a beat writer, and his job is to write as objectively as possible. I think he does a great job of that. Using the quote 'work to be done' is as objective as you can get. Maybe it's not the most insightful look into next season, but it's far from "antagonistic." If anything, he provides optimism by mentioning the returning group and "highly regarded recruiting class." Also, one of you misquoted him on the "Alabama" line. He said "may be a target of Alabama and other schools," not "likely a target..." Yeah, the idea of Shaka leaving is upsetting (and even tired), but the target audience isn't VCU fans -- it's Richmonders. That's a conservative way of giving readers the truth, as much as we're tired of it/hate it.

Woody is far from my favorite, but he's far from the worst. I think, overall, he does a good job of giving praise and criticism when due -- the job of a columnist. He basically praises us during the regular season and criticizes us during the postseason. In fact, he even defended us when we were shafted by the committee again. And no one can say we don't deserve any criticism during the postseason. Yeah, "they're all great kids and Shaka is doing the best he can," but sit down and think of it from a non-partisan point-of-view. We haven't gone past the first weekend of the tournament since 2011. For all the love we give VCU, we can't be ignorant: That's not a very good statistic for the talent Shaka's put together since then. And let's not forget that basically no one in the Final Four run was recruited by Shaka.

I hate to sound negative as a huge VCU fan, but the truth is the truth. We have a great coach and the talent has grown since he took over. But what do we have to show for it since 2011? As sad as it is to say, not much. Yeah, all our losses (minus the Michigan game) have been close, but L's are L's, unfortunately.

Do we have reason to be optimistic and proud? Of course. But can we really argue that we don't deserve just a little criticism from those whose jobs are to give the most accurate analysis of VCU? Definitely not.

Back