VCU Media Mentions

This place gets WAY worse than even the AOL chat rooms back in the day.... sometimes. Sometimes you people are delightful... usually when we're winning.

Perspective. Every place has it's issues and most don't have our talent.

Really true. Even living in Hampton Roads again I'm not getting the "you got lucky" vibe whenever I'm rocking black and gold. We have a degree of talent that has been earned and is consistent.

The thing with the departures is that it's more of a hit for later down the line. The projected starting five is intact. The reserves take a hit of varying intensity, depending on how much you were expecting from the freshmen, but it's probably safe to say that at least the top seven returning players from last season are still returning. If Larrier leaves, that changes the calculus a good bit, but he's a Ram in good standing as of now.

Surprised the loss of Shaka wasn't enough on its own to knock VCU out of the poll. Either the dude didn't think that much of him, or really likes Wade. Because as much as we say that WW's style is a perfect fit and that he improves on Shaka's weaknesses while ceding few of his strengths, it's still the biggest X-factor as of now.

Edit to reflect Justin Tillman's decision to stick around.

Last edited:
Got to give Wade time to find us some quality recruits now that the fab three and JT showed their true character in not giving the Rams a chance to develop them to another level.

Got to give Wade time to find us some quality recruits now that the fab three and JT showed their true character in not giving the Rams a chance to develop them to another level.
I was bothered that they left too, but I've mellowed considerably in the past few days about it.

Someone (I wish I could remember who) brought up a really important point: Pretty much all their adult contacts at VCU are gone. Sure, the fans and the history and the conference are still here and the practice facility is still on its way, but so much of what people react to is interpersonal interaction. You develop bonds, and then those bonds are snapped, and suddenly the family you were looking so forward to joining has a new head that you know only through reputation. Even if everything else is bright and sunshiny, you might still find yourself looking around the gym, or the campus, or even the Stu, and wonder what might have been, because the experience you're having isn't what you envisioned when you John Hancock'd your LOI.

I wish they had all stayed (particularly Mack, who I think could be special). I'm a little concerned about the message it sends about the stability of the program, even if the ship rights itself in the coming weeks. But I get where they're coming from too, and I'll hope they do well going forward, whether they're at Kentucky, Alaska-Fairbanks or anywhere in between.

I was bothered that they left too, but I've mellowed considerably in the past few days about it.

Someone (I wish I could remember who) brought up a really important point: Pretty much all their adult contacts at VCU are gone. Sure, the fans and the history and the conference are still here and the practice facility is still on its way, but so much of what people react to is interpersonal interaction. You develop bonds, and then those bonds are snapped, and suddenly the family you were looking so forward to joining has a new head that you know only through reputation. Even if everything else is bright and sunshiny, you might still find yourself looking around the gym, or the campus, or even the Stu, and wonder what might have been, because the experience you're having isn't what you envisioned when you John Hancock'd your LOI.

I wish they had all stayed (particularly Mack, who I think could be special). I'm a little concerned about the message it sends about the stability of the program, even if the ship rights itself in the coming weeks. But I get where they're coming from too, and I'll hope they do well going forward, whether they're at Kentucky, Alaska-Fairbanks or anywhere in between.
I wish for UTC Mocs for them. Then a H&H! Oh man! We toasted another thread:shock:

Last edited:
Not making me feel sorry for him.

Yeh, I've said in other threads I understand Shaka moving on to a "better" situation, but Texas? The AD has a worse reputation than a copperhead (or should I say rattlesnake, he's in Texas) in his last two stops ASU and the Portland Trail Blazers and Texas has NEVER been a basketball power. I thought it would be another one he'd turn down.

Back