Welcome to VCU, Tarique Foster!

I look at offer lists. I’m concerned.
Logical. We can’t forget it’s a pipeline process for us. We develop kids like this. It’s a great model where we can compete in recruiting by snagging undeveloped kids with lots of upside that the blue bloods ignore because they can get the more developed kids. The key to our success is consistency. We must have these kids each recruiting class because it takes a couple years to develop them, particularly physically and on D. But if we can recruit several each year we can hit home runs which are otherwise often overlooked. This model is a good one but requires continuity. We struggle with coaching changes because that can wipe out several years of recruiting/developmental strategy. Welcome to VCU Mr Foster. You will go as far as your dedication, determination and commitment take you, and along the way you will also get a great education if you are committed. Welcome to Ramily. I’m proud you’re onboard.

Logical. We can’t forget it’s a pipeline process for us. We develop kids like this. It’s a great model where we can compete in recruiting by snagging undeveloped kids with lots of upside that the blue bloods ignore because they can get the more developed kids. The key to our success is consistency. We must have these kids each recruiting class because it takes a couple years to develop them, particularly physically and on D. But if we can recruit several each year we can hit home runs which are otherwise often overlooked. This model is a good one but requires continuity. We struggle with coaching changes because that can wipe out several years of recruiting/developmental strategy. Welcome to VCU Mr Foster. You will go as far as your dedication, determination and commitment take you, and along the way you will also get a great education if you are committed. Welcome to Ramily. I’m proud you’re onboard.
Go Rams!

In the case, I'm not. Recruitment is all about exposure. In his case it was limited due to fact that he was shot at a high school graduation party, the bullet went out into his calf on one end and out the other. He wasn't allowed to play for awhile which limited his exposure. He was forced to reclassify after that from '22 to '23.

All that said, he played at Cardinal Hayes Catholic High Schook in the Bronx against some of the best players in the country and did very well. Hayes has the #1 player in the class if '24 this year, Ian Jackson.

He's transferred this year to Putnam science for his post grad year and will be playing with Mouhammed Diabate, a former vcu offer who one of the top 40 players in '23.

He's gonna make alot of noise this winter. Just watch.
Exposure?

He plays at a well regarded school in the largest city in the US.

I’m not saying he wont be good, but he plays in the Bronx and as far as I can tell he doesn’t have a Fordham offer.

Part of me expects us to get under the radar players especially now but I can’t help looking at the serious offers.
Miss. St. and Bonnies are not bad offers. I'm excited because I've seen full game tape on him, watched him score from all three levels against quality competition, seen his sweet stroke from 22' on in and how he gets after it on D. Guy's 6'8" with legit wing skills and athleticism. Yes, I'm excited!

As you get to know this young man's story and as you watch his play this last year of high school you will be excited to have him come and even further develop as a Ram. I think after the last few years of seeing our recruits on the floor that we can all have faith in our staff. Welcome Mr. Foster, we look forward to seeing you join the ranks and add to a young and athletic roster.

Last edited:
Exposure?

He plays at a well regarded school in the largest city in the US.

I’m not saying he wont be good, but he plays in the Bronx and as far as I can tell he doesn’t have a Fordham offer.
Fordham is a picky school. They do not have the stature of Columbia, or NYU but in the city they are highly regarded and they certainly hold themselves in high regard. . There are quite a number of reasons why Fordham didnt offer.

It could be that he, his family, and his Coach said no to Fordham. Heck he lives in the Bronx (he was shot). Fordham could have said no to him, he lives in the Bronx.

The kid's tall, long, bouncy, and Mike and crew liked him enough to make him the first signee.

What's not to love?

Last edited:
There are quite a number of reasons why Fordham didnt offer.

The kids big, bouncy, and Mike and crew likes him enough to make him the first signee.

What's not to love.
Precisely, the lack of a FU offer is no barometer of future success. Aren't there highly-regarded recruits from the Richmond area (including at least one currently) that do not/did not hold a VCU offer?

I predict this kid will slot in somewhere along the continuum between Lewis Djonkam and "KG with a jumpshot", and I'm looking forward to seeing him in black and gold.

Precisely, the lack of a FU offer is no barometer of future success. Aren't there highly-regarded recruits from the Richmond area (including at least one currently) that do not/did not hold a VCU offer?

I predict this kid will slot in somewhere along the continuum between Lewis Djonkam and "KG with a jumpshot", and I'm looking forward to seeing him in black and gold.

I mean if we didn’t offer it’s because we probably thought we never had a chance. I don’t think that would be the case here. It’s not like this a nationally ranked player that was definitely going to a P5 and no chance of staying home.

tenor.gif

Back