Zeb Jackson is STILL a RAM

From what I’ve read, he didn’t crack the rotation in 20-21 because Michigan was a 1 seed and had a lot of guard depth. He apparently had mono early this season and missed a good chunk of games. From there, he couldn’t crack the rotation and hit the portal.

I’m excited. I like the idea of VCU snagging a post-hype top 100 recruit from a P5 school rather than a backup P5 player who wasn’t highly rated (Levi, Terrance Shannon, etc)

Looks like 6'5"

One heck of a snag by the staff! I listed his pre-Michigan offer sheet elsewhere; I think it has to be the best ever for a VCU recruit, or top 3 at minimum. Super excited for the young man to join Ram Nation!

EDIT: LOL the 247 link shows 6'2" and his 247 page shows 6'5". We'll see soon enough!
He’s listed as 6-5 on Sports-Reference.

I’m excited about this. I can’t help but think this was yet more Martelli Magic (in this case, Phil).

Hopefully this will be a very uneventful off-season after our next commitments. Jamir and Jarren get healthy, and everyone gets plenty of practice time together. This should lead to a dramatic drop in stupid turnovers, and Ace not forcing too many homerun passes next season. I won't be able to use the "lack of basketball IQ" excuse going forward, thankfully!

From what I’ve read, he didn’t crack the rotation in 20-21 because Michigan was a 1 seed and had a lot of guard depth. He apparently had mono early this season and missed a good chunk of games. From there, he couldn’t crack the rotation and hit the portal.

I’m excited. I like the idea of VCU snagging a post-hype top 100 recruit from a P5 school rather than a backup P5 player who wasn’t highly rated (Levi, Terrance Shannon, etc)
He was behind 2 seniors and a 5*/top 10 player at guard, and was really Beilein's recruit inherited by Juwan. It limited his time as a freshman, and as you pointed out was sick last year, and I think he just decided to do a reset. Could not be happier.

I imagine Zeb will backup both Ace and Nunn.
I think everyone's playing time will have to be earned. Hopefully, though, we are putting together a team deep enough to bring back Havoc, with little drop from first team to subs.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/zeb-jackson

Oct 2018, after committing to Michigan:

https://umhoops.com/2018/10/23/four-star-guard-zeb-jackson-commits-michigan/

He received Michigan’s first offer in the 2020 class on September 20th and cut his list to seven in the following days. He took weekend-long unofficial visits to Ohio State and Michigan immediately following his Michigan offer. He also took an official visit to Marquette and was scheduled to take additional official visits to Butler, Arizona State and Michigan State.
It turns out those trips aren’t necessary and Jackson is ready to be a Wolverine.
Rankings & Offers
Jackson cut his list to seven schools in September: Michigan, Michigan State, Butler, Ohio State, Marquette, Purdue and Arizona State. He also held offers from Iowa, Virginia, Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Xavier, Providence, Cincinnati and Dayton.
Jackson is ranked 66th nationally according to the 247 Sports Composite.

• Rivals: 72nd, 4-star
  • 247 Sports: 58th, 4-star
  • Composite: 66th, 4-star
Jackson averaged 13.5 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists per game in the Under Armour Association this summer.

Looks like 6'5"

One heck of a snag by the staff! I listed his pre-Michigan offer sheet elsewhere; I think it has to be the best ever for a VCU recruit, or top 3 at minimum. Super excited for the young man to join Ram Nation!

EDIT: LOL the 247 link shows 6'2" and his 247 page shows 6'5". We'll see soon enough!
FWIW he is listed as 6’5” on KenPom, which I think pulls from a master roster database. He’s not listed on UM’s roster anymore, so hard to verify.

I think everyone's playing time will have to be earned. Hopefully, though, we are putting together a team deep enough to bring back Havoc, with little drop from first team to subs.
I don’t want to bring back Havoc because I’m not a believer in using the fullcourt press all game. It should be used selectively when the circumstances and the opponent warrants its use. Even in the “best” days of Havoc, we gave up too many easy baskets when teams beat the press and I felt we were often pressing more out of pride than from a strategic standpoint. And when you don’t have Briante Weber, the press just becomes less effective.

I really like the way we play D now. An occasional real press, but often a token press... but always backed up by really good halfcourt defense. Like people have said, we were a top 5-10 defense in the country last season and still didn’t manage to make the NCAA Tournament or even the first or second four out. We need to improve dramatically on offense, even if that means taking a slight step back on defense. I’m hoping Zeb brings us more consistent offense.

There’s nothing really to go on from his very limited time at Michigan. He played a total of 120 minutes (3 full games) of basketball in his 20 appearance there (6 mpg). He shot 5-19 (26.3%) on 3 pointers, 5-17 (29.4%) on 2 pointers, and 4-7 (57.1%) on FTs. His per 40 averages were 9.7 points, 2.7 assists, 6.0 rebounds, 3.0 turnovers, and 0.0 steals (he had zero steals in 120 minutes of play). The sample size on all of this is far too small to come to any judgement on either way.

I don’t want to bring back Havoc because I’m not a believer in using the fullcourt press all game. It should be used selectively when the circumstances and the opponent warrants its use. Even in the “best” days of Havoc, we gave up too many easy baskets when teams beat the press and I felt we were often pressing more out of pride than from a strategic standpoint. And when you don’t have Briante Weber, the press just becomes less effective.

I really like the way we play D now. An occasional real press, but often a token press... but always backed up by really good halfcourt defense. Like people have said, we were a top 5-10 defense in the country last season and still didn’t manage to make the NCAA Tournament or even the first or second four out. We need to improve dramatically on offense, even if that means taking a slight step back on defense. I’m hoping Zeb brings us more consistent offense.

There’s nothing really to go on from his very limited time at Michigan. He played a total of 120 minutes (3 full games) of basketball in his 20 appearance there (6 mpg). He shot 5-19 (26.3%) on 3 pointers, 5-17 (29.4%) on 2 pointers, and 4-7 (57.1%) on FTs. His per 40 averages were 9.7 points, 2.7 assists, 6.0 rebounds, 3.0 turnovers, and 0.0 steals (he had zero steals in 120 minutes of play). The sample size on all of this is far too small to come to any judgement on either way.
Absolutely agree on the full-court thing; MR has figured out the defense. We've been ELITE defensively since his first year.

I also agree about the small sample on Zeb. But the kid's stroke is pure, he was an absolute monster in HS, a dozen plus P5 coaches (Izzo, anyone?) thought he was a stud so I am thinking he's a stud. And if he really was a disappointment, I am convinced we would know that. He obviously comes with Phil's seal of approval. That's worth a LOT to me

Back