Zeb Jackson is STILL a RAM

How might this affect Williams' decision to return? Or Banks to stay? Or does the Jackson acquisition suggest Williams has already made his decision?

Absolutely agree on the full-court thing; MR has figured out the defense. We've been ELITE defensively since his first year.

I also agree about the small sample on Zeb. But the kid's stroke is pure, he was an absolute monster in HS, a dozen plus P5 coaches (Izzo, anyone?) thought he was a stud so I am thinking he's a stud. And if he really was a disappointment, I am convinced we would know that. He obviously comes with Phil's seal of approval. That's worth a LOT to me
My counterpoint to the “everyone's playing time will have to be earned” thing and the idea some have expressed that “no one’s starting position should be safe” would be to say... yeah, sure… but just like there might not be a guarantee that Ace and Nunn will start, there’s also no guarantee that Zeb will come in and beat out Banks or McAllister. It goes both ways.

How might this affect Williams' decision to return? Or Banks to stay? Or does the Jackson acquisition suggest Williams has already made his decision?
I don't think this was driven by a Vince decision, but I think it is very unlikely that Vince returns, and I think that's for the best. He's getting NBA talk now. Let him make his money!

Not sure what is going on with Josh. The longer things go without word he is leaving, the more likely it is he's staying which makes me happy

My counterpoint to the “everyone's playing time will have to be earned” thing and the idea some have expressed that “no one’s starting position should be safe” would be to say... yeah, sure… but just like there might not be a guarantee that Ace and Nunn will start, there’s also no guarantee that Zeb will come in and beat out Banks or McAllister. It goes both ways.
All of that is true. Also, Ace and Nunn are definitely starting lol.

Jackson and Williams don’t play remotely the same position, so that won’t be a factor. Maybe them both being from Toledo might matter, but I think that’s just a coincidence. I expect Vince to use all of his opportunities to get evaluated by the NBA in the coming months. I hold out a tiny bit of hope that he might come back since he hasn’t done like Curry and explicitly stated that he’s moving on. I think it’s unlikely he would come back, but I imagine there will be a scholarship available for him if he did decide after the evaluation process that he could benefit from another year at VCU and that wanted to be here.

Well, with Curry gone he has 3 different positions he can play although obviously his strength appears at the 1 and 2 guard position. But at 6'5" he could be helpful at the wing if he can hit shots. Right now we are limited to Kern and perhaps Banks, neither of whom have proven to be big basket getters for us.
But if he can handle the ball and show decent pg abilities, he will be useful giving Ace some good rest off the bench (or as a starter if he is actually that good). Ace may like playing 35-40 minutes a game but I think it is draining and could have contributed to some of his TO's.
I just really hope his 2 or 3 ppg was due to who he was playing behind and not a consistent event. We need a shooter. I hope those four stars shine through here at VCU.

Excited at the prospect of an established, athletic PG (combo guard?).

Some of these sites have PG, others list him as a SG.

Montverde school's bio page: https://mvasports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/zeb-jackson/1381
Parents: Zeb/Shonda and 1 Sister
Reason for joining Montverde Academy: Best place for me to develop academically and athletically to prepare for the next level
Basketball Goals: Consistency, Defense, and Leadership
Favorite NBA Player: D’Angelo Russell
Favorite Movie/TV: Martin
Favorite Pregame Meal: Chicken Alfredo
Highlight of my career at this point: 49 points in a game freshman year & reaching 1,000 points for my career last year.
Person I look up to the most in my life: Grandad & Dad - they are a great example of how I want to carry myself as I grow and begin making decisions on my own.

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/zeb-jackson-learning-to-adjust-to-different-roles-at-montverde

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/04/michigan-basketball-freshman-zeb-jackson-mike-smith/?utm_source=FOX_Sports

What Mike Smith (fmr Michigan guard, now Sioux Falls Skyforce) sees in freshman G Zeb Jackson​

“Zeb is really talented — a really talented kid,” Smith said. “Really athletic, 6-3 guard, point guard. He’s staying the course.
Jackson could play either the point or shooting guard — which is where he was listed at as a recruit.

It depends on where he falls in the 6’3 to 6’5 range.

1 - Ace/Nunn
2 - Nunn/Banks/McAllister
3 - Watkins/Kern/McAllister/Billups/Banks

I would say there’s a lot more competition for minutes at the 3 than at the 1/2

Excited at the prospect of an established, athletic PG (combo guard?).

Some of these sites have PG, others list him as a SG.

Montverde school's bio page: https://mvasports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/zeb-jackson/1381
Parents: Zeb/Shonda and 1 Sister
Reason for joining Montverde Academy: Best place for me to develop academically and athletically to prepare for the next level
Basketball Goals: Consistency, Defense, and Leadership
Favorite NBA Player: D’Angelo Russell
Favorite Movie/TV: Martin
Favorite Pregame Meal: Chicken Alfredo
Highlight of my career at this point: 49 points in a game freshman year & reaching 1,000 points for my career last year.
Person I look up to the most in my life: Grandad & Dad - they are a great example of how I want to carry myself as I grow and begin making decisions on my own.

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/zeb-jackson-learning-to-adjust-to-different-roles-at-montverde

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/04/michigan-basketball-freshman-zeb-jackson-mike-smith/?utm_source=FOX_Sports

What Mike Smith (fmr Michigan guard, now Sioux Falls Skyforce) sees in freshman G Zeb Jackson​

“Zeb is really talented — a really talented kid,” Smith said. “Really athletic, 6-3 guard, point guard. He’s staying the course.
Jackson could play either the point or shooting guard — which is where he was listed at as a recruit.
It will definitely be interesting to see if he’s closer to 6’3 or 6’5. His listed height seems to be all over the place.

I don’t want to bring back Havoc because I’m not a believer in using the fullcourt press all game. It should be used selectively when the circumstances and the opponent warrants its use. Even in the “best” days of Havoc, we gave up too many easy baskets when teams beat the press and I felt we were often pressing more out of pride than from a strategic standpoint. And when you don’t have Briante Weber, the press just becomes less effective.

And, we don’t really have a legit big man rim protector to play the back end of the press,

I tried to find some full game footage of him playing in high school, and holy cow do you want to know who was on that Montverde team with him in 2020? Starting 5 of Cade Cunningham, Moses Moody, Scottie Barnes, Dayron Sharpe, and Caleb Houstan! Needless to say the couple of games I’ve found don’t feature Zeb very often.

Back