22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

We all know some pitchforks were out early in the season, and if VCU had not made the NCAA tourney this season, those pitchforks would have been sharpened to a fine point. That would have been TWO years without an NCAA tourney appearance, and both of those would have featured an NIT bid. I don't think VCU fans will tolerate not making it to the NCAAs least every three years, and there will be a ton of grousing after that second year.
VCU fans are reasonable, but not making tourney two years in a row with the talent on this team should have made MR’s seat hot. MR’s comments about being a lifer couples with player injuries bought time, which is reasonable. It’s all context. After 6 years and no tournament wins RN became restless. Seems reasonable to me.

We were squarely out of at large discussion one month into the season with what we now can confirm was a P6 level squad. If we didn't win the A10 tourney the season would have been an abject failure. Now we for sure got better and pulled it off, but the A10 was trash. We ran through a not good Davidson, scorched a SLU team perineally overrated that always fades late, and the best win was a Dayton team that never really got it going and basically just relied on Holmes putting them on his back. Then once we made it, we got straight outclassed by another MM.

I think MR was fine as a placeholder coach. He kept us going to the tourney, but man did he do a little with a lot. Even with a legit first rounder playing NBA playoff ball he couldn't do better than a 10 seed. Throw in some 30 pt losses, one of the greatest VCU collapses of all time, losing at home to #228. I think we definitely underachieved the past 6 years. I would have given him Ace's senior year, but his seat should have been warm. His postseason record was 1-3-1 with the lone win a NIT on our own floor. Pretty underwhelming to me.

I was listening to "3 Bid League" podcast while out walking this morning, and they had the well-known Twitter guy and GMU fan PeteyBuckets on to talk about GMU's new coaching hire. Something he said made me stop in my tracks. He said the goal at GMU and at all mid-majors needs to be to make the NCAA Tournament at least every four years. He said every recruiting class should be able to play in the tournament.

EVERY FIVE YEARS?

Seriously, a large group of VCU fans might burn down the BDC if we settled in to making the tournament only every five years.

And, yes, I'm aware that Mason sucks.
Asking out of ignorance, does fGMU have the equivalent of a BDC ? How common are they at other mid majors ?
I was under the impression that building one of these was intended to elevate us relative to other mid-majors.
Now that we have one and IF others do not, is it not reasonable for OUR expectations to be higher than theirs ?

Asking out of ignorance, does fGMU have the equivalent of a BDC ? How common are they at other mid majors ?
I was under the impression that building one of these was intended to elevate us relative to other mid-majors.
Now that we have one and IF others do not, is it not reasonable for OUR expectations to be higher than theirs ?
We do have better facilities than GMU. Of that there is no doubt. In the end, however, we’re a state school that’s about the same size as GMU and is in the same conference. My point was that it amazed me how much lower their fan expectations are than VCU’s. One NCAA tournament every five years would NOT fly around here.

I was listening to "3 Bid League" podcast while out walking this morning, and they had the well-known Twitter guy and GMU fan PeteyBuckets on to talk about GMU's new coaching hire. Something he said made me stop in my tracks. He said the goal at GMU and at all mid-majors needs to be to make the NCAA Tournament at least every four years. He said every recruiting class should be able to play in the tournament.

EVERY FIVE YEARS?

Seriously, a large group of VCU fans might burn down the BDC if we settled in to making the tournament only every five years.

And, yes, I'm aware that Mason sucks.
Rhoades made it 3 out of 6 times and that didn’t sniff the success of the last 3 VCU coaches. Reminder, it is really hard to make the NCAA Tournament!

Man, I am glad my friend is calling me with VCU news at 6:30 am instead of having to listen to some guy called PeteyBuckets who is a mason fan.
It’s fun to poke fun at Mason, but Petey is a good dude. Knows a ton about basketball, is aware that Mason is our little brother, and knows the A10 in and out. I also met him while absolutely hammered at McMahon’s (1 block from Barclays) after we lost to Rhody in the 2019 Quarters when Marcus Evans got hurt. Pretty sure I made an a$$ of myself!

It’s fun to poke fun at Mason, but Petey is a good dude. Knows a ton about basketball, is aware that Mason is our little brother, and knows the A10 in and out. I also met him while absolutely hammered at McMahon’s (1 block from Barclays) after we lost to Rhody in the 2019 Quarters when Marcus Evans got hurt. Pretty sure I made an a$$ of myself!
Yeah, I was having fun. Petey is a solid bball fan. He is a masonite though. Ha!

We were down like 12 or 13 at one point. It really is crazy to think about how many lives that comeback changed. Like you said it is very unlikely that Rhoades gets hired away if we don't win that game. That affected all of the coaches and staff as well as their families who had to move on a whim. Then the players on the 2022-23 team. You also have the Utah State coaches and staff as well as their families and players. I guess the dominoes really started with the Penn State coach leaving because I didn't see anyone else coming for Rhoades. On the flip side of that if we would have lost that means that Dayton would have won and made the tournament. If they would have done that perhaps there wouldn't have been so much turmoil in their program today. College basketball really is a razor's edge. We barely make the 2011 tournament and then the Final Four run became transformational for the entire university. We land Bones because St. Joe's fired Martelli which indirectly lead to us getting Zeb and Johns this past season as well. On the flip side we have had some close losses in the NCAA tournament and who knows what those games could have led to. We were also Steph Curry's only other D1 offer other than Davidson. That is a fun what if as well.
Didn't we also get Ace in large part because of Bones, because of their history/connection on the AAU circuit or something?

Back