League A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

I didn't see that article. Manhertz is a moron, especially considering the Bonnies made the NIT semis two years ago and there was tremendous student enthusiasm about it. They shouldn't have brought that up until the season was definitively over.
He said he didn't consider the fans. What the heck? That is a tone deaf guy who shouldn't be an AD.

I sounds like he did not have a good feel for the fans and alumni. I can empathize with fans saying...you constantly ask for money but won't play in the NIT? It's like he had no feel for the institution.

I didn't see that article. Manhertz is a moron, especially considering the Bonnies made the NIT semis two years ago and there was tremendous student enthusiasm about it. They shouldn't have brought that up until the season was definitively over.
Ironic that is was reported on ESPN this afternoon. For some reason this morning I was curious about the teams who declined the NIT and saw St. Bona listed and thought wtf! Then I started googling and saw their student newspaper article. Yeah, their AD was a piece of work. He really thought St. Bona asking not to be invited wouldn't leak out.

The big question for me is Schmidt's involvement in this. Did he co-sign on this decision? Did he do so without talking to the team? It's also kinda offensive to assume just because a player is going to enter the portal he no longer wants to play and that the graduating players have also checked out.

Ironic that is was reported on ESPN this afternoon. For some reason this morning I was curious about the teams who declined the NIT and saw St. Bona listed and thought wtf! Then I started googling and saw their student newspaper article. Yeah, their AD was a piece of work. He really thought St. Bona asking not to be invited wouldn't leak out.

The big question for me is Schmidt's involvement in this. Did he co-sign on this decision? Did he do so without talking to the team? It's also kinda offensive to assume just because a player is going to enter the portal he no longer wants to play and that the graduating players have also checked out.
He had to have been involved in the discussions and Bonnies Twitter is suspecting as much. I actually posted about this in the opponent tracking thread but this is probably a better place for it.

To be fair, looking at fans/alumni of various programs, it feels like it's nearly right down the line as to whether or not there's support for playing in the NIT at all.
Seems like it's beneath the entitled. But to me this sort of thing just does not translate.
Me?
BRING ON GAMES, COMPETITION, THE THRILL OF WATCHING MY FAVE TEAM PLAY.

Last edited:
I would expect an AD to consult with their university president before making a decision about refusing to play in a post-season tournament. Also, they better hope their next AD gets along with Mark Schmidt.

I would expect an AD to consult with their university president before making a decision about refusing to play in a post-season tournament. Also, they better hope their next AD gets along with Mark Schmidt.
Silly to decline another opportunity to extend the season. I'll never understand that. Winning the NIT would help catapult a team into the Dance next year. I'm pretty excited to be able to watch more games. He should have been fired.

What's the Money Breakdown for NIT. Is it worth it for "the School"?
Especially if you do Not get any Home Games?

It was mentioned the Peppas were not in the budget?
We are on ESPNU tonight - Do we get a Cut of that?

What's the Money Breakdown for NIT. Is it worth it for "the School"?
Especially if you do Not get any Home Games?

It was mentioned the Peppas were not in the budget?
We are on ESPNU tonight - Do we get a Cut of that?

The NIT covers travel expenses and gives schools $4k for each game played. Article below is from ‘21 but there isn’t much information out there on the matter.

Back