Bones Hyland - NBA Thread

Just put that thing up on auction and some Denver fan would probably pay $100k. Maybe a lot more. Or he could give it to VCU to display at the Stu. :)

He definitely deserves one by the typical NBA standards. We might learn a bit about how nasty the breakup was based on whether he gets one or not.
I get the impression that some of the bad feelings are mutual on both sides. It was acrimonious. The media played into it and my guess is that it will come up again in the Denver media.

Last edited:
IMO as one of their top 7/8 rotational players for the first half of the season, I think he deserves a ring if Denver wins it this week.
Yeah, the departure and circumstances around it (at least the reported ones we read) were not the most favorable departure scenario for Bones but time sometimes heals those wounds

I cannot imagine Bones would reject the offer if it came to get a ring, though doubt he would wear it around. Who in the NBA doesn't want a RING! (and like Heel says the value of Ebay or other platforms or to sports memorabilia enthusiasts would be 6 figures or high 5 figures )

Watching the Nuggets throughout the playoffs their tight rotation at the guard spot would have likely meant little to No minutes for Bones. Plus their offense (Bones' value to his team) ran through 2 payers only for 80-90% of the game. Defense was not Bones' calling card either and that was what Nuggets needed most from all players not named Murray or Jokic.

go Bones

Just put that thing up on auction and some Denver fan would probably pay $100k. Maybe a lot more. Or he could give it to VCU to display at the Stu. :)

He definitely deserves one by the typical NBA standards. We might learn a bit about how nasty the breakup was based on whether he gets one or not.
How about the peanuts from the commercial flight they put him on after he walked out of an NBA game. I would rather have those. Just opened my desk drawer an my stash is empty. $&@#.

Watching the Nuggets throughout the playoffs their tight rotation at the guard spot would have likely meant little to No minutes for Bones. Plus their offense (Bones' value to his team) ran through 2 payers only for 80-90% of the game. Defense was not Bones' calling card either and that was what Nuggets needed most from all players not named Murray or Jokic.

Yep. Denver has struck gold with KCP and Bruce Brown during the playoffs this year. Both very solid defenders who have made some huge shots. Can’t really ask for much more from role players.

Eh, maybe.

Coaching in the NBA is just so overrated in general. Paul Westhead won a title. Some clown named Nick Nurse rode Leonard to a title. Phil Jackson almost always had the best players in the league when he won. It’s all about managing personalities, which Jackson did very well.

Spoelstra seems like a pretty good coach who gets his guys to play hard, but he’s not making much of a difference when it comes to Xs and Os. It might get his team to game 6 best case.
That's just not true, or at least you used poor examples lol Spo is a great coach there are few, if any, coaches in NBA history who've done more with less talent. 2 finals appearances in 4 years without a top 25 player on the roster is impressive, not to mention they're the 8th seed this year. People (myself included) were saying he was riding Bron, Wade and Bosh to rings but he darn sure has debunked that.

Nurse was and still is one of the best defensive coaches in the league. Sure Kawhi was a monster but they were holding teams to 100 ppg for the playoffs. You could've at least said Ty Lue, David Blatt (even though he didn't win) or Mike Budenholzer 😂 Coaching doesn't matter as much during the regular season, but come playoffs their ability to make adjustments game to game is the difference between winning and losing

That's just not true, or at least you used poor examples lol Spo is a great coach there are few, if any, coaches in NBA history who've done more with less talent. 2 finals appearances in 4 years without a top 25 player on the roster is impressive, not to mention they're the 8th seed this year. People (myself included) were saying he was riding Bron, Wade and Bosh to rings but he darn sure has debunked that.

Nurse was and still is one of the best defensive coaches in the league. Sure Kawhi was a monster but they were holding teams to 100 ppg for the playoffs. You could've at least said Ty Lue, David Blatt (even though he didn't win) or Mike Budenholzer 😂 Coaching doesn't matter as much during the regular season, but come playoffs their ability to make adjustments game to game is the difference between winning and losing

Uh, Spoelstra certainly is a good coach. I even said as much in the comment you quoted.

As for your examples, I completely agree.

And it certainly is true that mediocre coaches have led teams to titles. Look at your own examples. It appears Malone might be added to that list shortly as well.

Yep. Denver has struck gold with KCP and Bruce Brown during the playoffs this year. Both very solid defenders who have made some huge shots. Can’t really ask for much more from role players.
Solid pun as well.

They have been getting value on their picks and trades, with the exception of Hyland who they discarded. A homegrown championship team, not many of those this century.

Love Bones, but he doesn't deserve a ring. He was a role player for the first half of a season, and then walked off the court in the middle of a game.

Love Bones, but he doesn't deserve a ring. He was a role player for the first half of a season, and then walked off the court in the middle of a game.
He absolutely deserves a ring for his contributions while he was there, mainly before upper management decided to trade him and totally changed his substitution pattern to the detriment of his game. His role was determined before his immature actions.

While we don't know what Bones might do. He does have good money and he likely will continue to make very good money.

However, you are 100% correct. Let them mail it to you, put it in a secure storage and at a later date decide what you want to do with it.

I'd bet a 35 year old Bones will think differently than a 20 plus year old Bones. How about if he gets to 50 years old? What about if he wins a chip.

Again, Heel I am with you just take the darned thing. My caveat is to hold it for a while.

Back