Coach Ryan Odom Show, Media Minutes & Pressers

Odom's the first coach we've had since Shaka where I look forward to watching his press conferences. I always tried watching the others, but could never get through them.

I watched Rhoades after last night's PSU loss and all he did was cover himself, blaming the players he has (he didn't mention them by name, but the loss was clearly their fault) and talking how their gonna get there as a program. They just need a culture like Michigan State. He knows he can do it, that's why he took the job.lol He spends the entire time defending himself, even when the questions aren't implicating him in any way.
There were 260 comments on the reddit game thread last night, and approximately zero came from Penn State fans. That's a pretty crazy statement about a P5 program, even for a historically bad one. Plenty of Nebraska folks over there, for example.

Observation none of which are intended to be good, bad or indifferent
  • Coached seemed tired
  • Seems to be tired of being asked about Fats and Rose every week
  • No one seems willing to ask about Sean

Observation none of which are intended to be good, bad or indifferent
  • Coached seemed tired
  • Seems to be tired of being asked about Fats and Rose every week
  • No one seems willing to ask about Sean
Maybe more irritated than tired? Hard to tell. Not that I miss Wade, but his press conference after a game like that would have been quite interesting. RO, not an insult, is very vanilla. But he is right, it was a bad game, all coaches have them, time to move on.

He said..."You've got to learn what you want to live with on defense"... 🙄

Really, so we can look forward to him deciding to go zone with 6 minutes left after momentum turner like that four point play?

You shouldn't learn to "live with" not closing out of shooters or letting the other team dominate the offensive glass. Sorry. That's Mooney Speak for "We are gonna be soft...it's just the way it is.."

We have more talent than anyone in the league. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

They got two stops when they went zone.
And got burned on every other possession.....when you're 18 down with 6 left.. you press and attempt to get easy baskets off turnovers.. go watch what Penn state did to #12 Illinois...10 down....2 minutes left. .

Look. I'm not saying we become a full court pressure team like in the past...but even Nebraska and Northwestern have learned you come back from that margin if you get opponent to cough up the ball..

Chris Collins plays a 6 man roster with Ty Berry gone for the year and will press and trap in the half court with inferior talent to VCU in that situation..

You have to find a way to energize your team and gets easy buckets when your getting beaten on the glass and down double digits...not play on your heels.

We were playing our “ hope they miss and don’t get an offensive rebound“ defense.

played this several times this year

hopefully Odom will recruit athleticism that can play on the ball defense.

Odom's teams have rarely played the type of defense VCU ram fans are accustomed to for the past 15 years. New age folks, get used to it (we have had a few stretches this season where our team defense was stellar, but those are not the norm)

many of you screamed for an offensive coach that plays a more modern offensive approach that is 3 ball centric., that is what we got not a defense first coach

Like Ramdog I too am all for more athletic players that can at least stay between their man and the basket on Defense and will put a body on their man and rebound - give Frank Martin credit his teams play hard and rebound on both ends of the court

IMO the zone defense is just not a game changer topic to complain about - the first 30 minutes was all anyone needed to see to realize it was just one of the those nights - let's move on

I really want to see us come out with enthusiasm/fire etc on Sunday - St Joes is clearly talented enought to hang an L on us if we go thru the motions for long stretches - and have a big or two that can rebound and score

go rams

He said..."You've got to learn what you want to live with on defense"... 🙄

Really, so we can look forward to him deciding to go zone with 6 minutes left after momentum turner like that four point play?

You shouldn't learn to "live with" not closing out of shooters or letting the other team dominate the offensive glass. Sorry. That's Mooney Speak for "We are gonna be soft...it's just the way it is.."

We have more talent than anyone in the league. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!
I wondering if you could do something to get yourself banned again.

Back