Coaching Search: Update- Bradley LeCroy has been selected

rambunctiousrowdyram

Elite Member
Where do you think we go? Hate to say it but we have to really hit it on this hire or things could possibly slide really fast. Having stability did wonders for the program and now that foundation has been rocked.

It seems it has taken a while so far. I think Coach Stiffler was hired by Notre Dame over two weeks ago (July 12, 2022). I guess my experience with VCU and replacing coaches has been faster than this. I think when Shaka left the basketball team and was replaced by Wade and when Wade left and was replaced by Rhoades, it was quicker than this. Also, it was out of necessity that Coach Stiffler be named head coach of the baseball team very quickly when Coach Keyes unfortunately passed away in 2012. I have heard Kurt Elbin’s name mentioned. He was an assistant here a few years ago and then went to be an assistant at Va Tech. Seth Cutler-Voltz is the pitching coach. He has no head coaching experience but maybe he will get an interview. I hope they go with an insider or former VCU player or coach. I don’t want an outsider. I feel the program could lose their identity and culture with an outsider. Keyes and Stiffler put their stamp on the program since 1995 (Keyes) and 2012 (Stiffler). That’s 27 years of culture. Coach Stiffler left this program in a great spot (facilities like the locker room and indoor practice facility, two straight A10 tournament titles and NCAA Tournament appearances). The program has momentum. Recruiting has gotten very good, we had a 2nd round MLB draft pick this year. It does seem it has taken a while to hear who the next head coach will be. Ed and company may be meticulously combing through resumes, weighing their options, and doing interviews. This is a big hire for the athletic department. I feel the longer the search goes on, incoming recruits and current players may start to become complacent, however, and may transfer.

It seems it has taken a while so far. I think Coach Stiffler was hired by Notre Dame over two weeks ago (July 12, 2022). I guess my experience with VCU and replacing coaches has been faster than this. I think when Shaka left the basketball team and was replaced by Wade and when Wade left and was replaced by Rhoades, it was quicker than this. Also, it was out of necessity that Coach Stiffler be named head coach of the baseball team very quickly when Coach Keyes unfortunately passed away in 2012. I have heard Kurt Elbin’s name mentioned. He was an assistant here a few years ago and then went to be an assistant at Va Tech. Seth Cutler-Voltz is the pitching coach. He has no head coaching experience but maybe he will get an interview. I hope they go with an insider or former VCU player or coach. I don’t want an outsider. I feel the program could lose their identity and culture with an outsider. Keyes and Stiffler put their stamp on the program since 1995 (Keyes) and 2012 (Stiffler). That’s 27 years of culture. Coach Stiffler left this program in a great spot (facilities like the locker room and indoor practice facility, two straight A10 tournament titles and NCAA Tournament appearances). The program has momentum. Recruiting has gotten very good, we had a 2nd round MLB draft pick this year. It does seem it has taken a while to hear who the next head coach will be. Ed and company may be meticulously combing through resumes, weighing their options, and doing interviews. This is a big hire for the athletic department. I feel the longer the search goes on, incoming recruits and current players may start to become complacent, however, and may transfer.
Had one good arm transfer already

Need someone who can recruit the area. Baseball talent in Richmond and the state is very abundant. There are several coaches that can do this. Being in the A-10 leads me to believe that if the hire is someone with successful Head Coaching experience and can land top tier local talent, the tradition will continue. The assistants listed above, guys like Ikenberry at JMU(other head coaches), etc. that know and have contacts locally could go a long way to staying atop of the conference for years to come.

Day 16 without a head baseball coach for VCU. Will today be the day we hear something? It would be nice to lock something up before heading into the weekend and August. Players will start reporting back to campus in a couple weeks to start preseason conditioning and getting ready for classes to start later that month.

Seth Cutler-Voltz is a great dude. Know him personally, dating back to High School when he was at Henrico, and I was at Lee-Davis (Now Mechanicsville HS) & talk to him a decent amount. If he got the job I'd be ecstatic for him.

Not sure who all they're considering but they def gotta move quick.

Where can you find NCAA Baseball's transfer portal info at?
I saw on D1baseball.com they have a transfer portal page but it’s premium content so I think one may have to pay to view it.

I did see where LHP Tyler Davis has already transferred to Mississippi State:

I saw that infielder Marcus O’Malley entered the transfer portal too.

It looks like the 2023 roster may be decimated by transfers post Stiffler exodus. It is of paramount importance VCU lock a head coach up ASAP to prevent any further roster deterioration. It looks like forming a solid roster at this point in the offseason will be a daunting challenge for whoever becomes the next head coach. By going with a current assistant coach like Cutler-Voltz, VCU may be able to stop the bleeding of any further transfer portal entrants from the current roster since there will be a relative amount of consistency in the program.

I saw on D1baseball.com they have a transfer portal page but it’s premium content so I think one may have to pay to view it.

It looks like the 2023 roster may be decimated by transfers post Stiffler exodus. It is of paramount importance VCU lock a head coach up ASAP to prevent any further roster deterioration. It looks like forming a solid roster at this point in the offseason will be a daunting challenge for whoever becomes the next head coach. By going with a current assistant coach like Cutler-Voltz, VCU may be able to stop the bleeding of any further transfer portal entrants from the current roster since there will be a relative amount of consistency in the program.

What about Rich Witten? Looking at the Coaches list on the roster on the athletics website... it appears he was our Top Assistant & also our recruiting coordinator? Also handles the offense & the defense according to his bio.

So he might get the first shot if VCU chooses to stay in house & he wants to apply for it (assuming he doesn't go with Stiffler to ND).

What about Rich Witten? Looking at the Coaches list on the roster on the athletics website... it appears he was our Top Assistant & also our recruiting coordinator? Also handles the offense & the defense according to his bio.

So he might get the first shot if VCU chooses to stay in house & he wants to apply for it (assuming he doesn't go with Stiffler to ND).

He took the head coaching position at Florida International University on June 23, 2022. So not only did VCU lose their head coach (Stiffler), they lost their top assistant and recruiting coordinator. The website for VCU hasn’t been updated yet to reflect either of their departures. Ed and company have their hands full. Those are two huge roles to fill. Neither have been filled yet to my knowledge. It is a pivotal time for the VCU Baseball program. The momentum we had should help us keep advancing the program but right now it seems we are mired in mud and stuck for the last couple weeks. Hoping for some good news soon.

He took the head coaching position at Florida International University on June 23, 2022. So not only did VCU lose their head coach (Stiffler), they lost their top assistant and recruiting coordinator. The website for VCU hasn’t been updated yet to reflect either of their departures. Ed and company have their hands full. Those are two huge roles to fill. Neither have been filled yet to my knowledge. It is a pivotal time for the VCU Baseball program. The momentum we had should help us keep advancing the program but right now it seems we are mired in mud and stuck for the last couple weeks. Hoping for some good news soon.
Gotcha... then yeah unless there's some reason to believe we can bring in Brandon Inge from Michigan... or there's another name out there.... I'd def consider giving Seth the job.

Gotcha... then yeah unless there's some reason to believe we can bring in Brandon Inge from Michigan... or there's another name out there.... I'd def consider giving Seth the job.
He fits the description of what we are looking for. Local guy from Henrico HS, played here from 09-12, was an assistant here, then went to Tennessee-Martin to be the pitching coach and Wofford to be the pitching coach before coming back to VCU last season. He’s got some experience. He should be about 32ish now so he’s not a rookie coach anymore. It would be his first head coaching job but I think he’s ready. If he doesn’t get it now, I am not sure the message it would send to him from the athletic department about their confidence in him to lead the program one day. I say give the reigns to him.

He fits the description of what we are looking for. Local guy from Henrico HS, played here from 09-12, was an assistant here, then went to Tennessee-Martin to be the pitching coach and Wofford to be the pitching coach before coming back to VCU last season. He’s got some experience. He should be about 32ish now so he’s not a rookie coach anymore. It would be his first head coaching job but I think he’s ready. If he doesn’t get it now, I am not sure the message it would send to him from the athletic department about their confidence in him to lead the program one day. I say give the reigns to him.
Oh No absolutely... I agree. I think he'd be a great fit... just saw there was a guy ahead of him on the coaching depth chart (obviously not updated).

Like I said I'm good friends with Seth, I know him personally... so I'd fully support VCU offering him the job.

But I know there's an order for a reason and if the other asst. hadn't left yet... I'd think he woulda gotten offered first if he applied for the job.

Notre Dame stole Voltz too I believe. Realistically I’m hoping we recover in 3-5 seasons. The chances of landing a hot shot coach that can instantly rebuild is slim to none.

Back