DB's ECU Preview: The Return of Big Mack

DB's ECU Preview: The Return of Big Mack
by districtballer on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Well done. I find your previews first-rate. I buy the RTD mostly for state college sports, and SI for national sports, yet find your game preview write-ups have more insight and are better done than what I pay for!

Thanks for your efforts/support of RamNation. Merry Christmas.

Thank you. We're all here because we love the Rams. I'm glad you appreciate my contributions here.

Merry Christmas to you as well my friend.

How about this 70-foot dandy from Bo Jones to beat ECU at the buzzer? This is also one of the Great Moments in Rams' History. Coach Mack McCarthy was also at the helm for this win over his future school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VJCDhhfcyk

VRam said:
That would be Kenny Stancell.

Word. Hey V, you gonna see the Jazz at Heat Wed?

The Bo bomb!! Awesome!!

-------------------
Go RAMS!
Beat Pirates!!

That's a possibility. I'll be back in Miami Tuesday night.

Pavarotti said:
Naw, Mack and I go way back. I'll pick on him a little, but won't give him the Blaine treatment.

Besides, me dressing like Mack would be way too easy.

I used to joke that the main reason Coach Mack kept me around was so that he would have somebody standing behind him at games (and next to him at the buffet) who made him look average sized.

LOL - darn Pav, you crack me up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigE said:
What the Pirate Nation think of Big Mack

http://www.ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=349740

They touched on it a little bit.....he has been asked to build a program that has had absolutely nothing to work with several times now. Make chicken salad out of chicken poop. He did that here and then was asked to move on before getting the chance to experience the things that he helped to build. Can't say that I am disappointed in the move that was made due to the way things have happened since then, just saying that maybe the guy deserves a little bit of thanks for what he did here is all.

Have to agree VFL. I always thought he was good guy and really helped turn the program around.

Well that certainly balances out some of the things I have heard about him from other people then. There seem to be some possible character issues but I was always curious about that since it seemed like he left the program better than he found it or at the very least not worse.

BTW, nice job on the preview. It is cool to get some background info on the school its self as well as a history lesson of the teams and history with VCU in addition to the current situation. Hopefully we stay undefeated in the revenge tour over the next three games.

VRam, you missed the whole joke because Senior Ram edited his original post where he used Stancil instead of Santil-lol

VCU4LIFE said:
The paragraph addressing that in DB's write-up is pretty accurate. I for one certainly liked him and think he deserves more credit than he gets for our turn-around as a program.
We were TERRIBLE prior to him coming in. I think the guys he brough in here were the guys that he had to bring in here to get us going in the right direction in the W-L columns. Sure there were some bad apples with regards to character, but we started to win pretty quickly. Bo Jones, LaMar Taylor, Willie Taylor, etc. were some of the best athletes we have ever seen in a VCU uniform.
He got us back to a certain level of respect and competitive ability, and then was asked to leave and we brought in someone who was able to take us to the next level.
Again, I really don't think Mack gets the credit he deserves for helping to bring the VCU men's basketball program back from the dead!

Terrific post - I 100% agree with you! We had fallen on some hard times with Sunny...Mack did indeed turn it around for us.

PS: Both Mack and his wife were very much involved with the team. My buddy mentioned the other night that Mack's wife is the one that started the dance team.

VCUBeatsduke

Being an old-timer I can certainly say that it was thanks to Mack that we have a dance team that you guys seem to enjoy so much ;) . He felt that VCU needed not only a good basketball team, but also the other things that the fans in the stands might enjoy and apparently told the Athletic Dept. this upon his hiring. Mack was Ok in my book and his wife and daughter were always extremely nice.

Dance team, getting the band up to par, expanding access for donors...

He did a lot of good things that have helped us get to where we are today. I was once told that when he moved here he had a list of things that HAD to be done or he was not coming. Lots of those things are that make us special today. Maybe he would be a better AD than coach.

But I also saw the dark side a time or two; things I won't post. More than once I felt sorry for a player after witnessing a Mac ass-chewing. Most importantly, it is hard to recruit players when the assistants have to do everything possible to keep the Head Coach away from them, and keep them away from the current players so they can't tell the recruits about the Head coach!

Still, he has always been nice to me. I won't cheer or boo when he is announced. A nice ur type clap will be appropriate.

fmrick said:
Dance team, getting the band up to par, expanding access for donors...

He did a lot of good things that have helped us get to where we are today. I was once told that when he moved here he had a list of things that HAD to be done or he was not coming. Lots of those things are that make us special today. Maybe he would be a better AD than coach.

But I also saw the dark side a time or two; things I won't post. More than once I felt sorry for a player after witnessing a Mac ass-chewing. Most importantly, it is hard to recruit players when the assistants have to do everything possible to keep the Head Coach away from them, and keep them away from the current players so they can't tell the recruits about the Head coach!

Still, he has always been nice to me. I won't cheer or boo when he is announced. A nice ur type clap will be appropriate.

He could be very hard on players...I couldn't have played for him.

Back