Green City

Again, not related to Green City but still relevant: the A10 had their women's media day at the Henrico Sports & Events Center yesterday and the facility looks really good. I know it's a separate project but it's making me pretty excited about Green City.

The facility is hosting its first public event next Friday and Saturday: the Statesmen Classic, a JUCO basketball MTE hosted by Richard Bland College.

Again, not related to Green City but still relevant: the A10 had their women's media day at the Henrico Sports & Events Center yesterday and the facility looks really good. I know it's a separate project but it's making me pretty excited about Green City.

The facility is hosting its first public event next Friday and Saturday: the Statesmen Classic, a JUCO basketball MTE hosted by Richard Bland College.

FYI: The VCU women will play Delaware on Dec. 11th at the Henrico Sports & Events Center. It will be a good game to go check out to see what the center court looks like during a game. Oh, I went to media day yesterday and interviewed every coach and player. The bathrooms are awesome at the arena. Ha!

FYI: The VCU women will play Delaware on Dec. 11th at the Henrico Sports & Events Center. It will be a good game to go check out to see what the center court looks like during a game. Oh, I went to media day yesterday and interviewed every coach and player. The bathrooms are awesome at the arena. Ha!
Great. I live about a mile away.

Great feedback…thanks for sharing article. I’m glad the A10 is looking to the women’s tournament there as a destination in ‘24 and ‘25. Hopefully it sets the table for future GreenCity tournaments. Metro Richmond can become a destination of choice!

Since the new Henrico Sports & Entertainment Center made its way on the Green City thread....

Will be interesting to check out a game there. Fortunately wont have to wait long as the VCU WBB host Delaware there on Dec 11.

Is Green City making progress to break ground or are the tires spinning on this? I thought it was originally supposed to be up and running in 2024. Seems like getting traction for this is like everything else in the area.

Is Green City making progress to break ground or are the tires spinning on this? I thought it was originally supposed to be up and running in 2024. Seems like getting traction for this is like everything else in the area.

Green City is scheduled to begin construction in 2024 and finish in 2026.

The wheels are not spinning. Lots of things are happening in the planning stages. They will break ground and move quickly. Not exactly sure about the timeline of things. I can check on that soon. I should see Dennis Bickmeirer in the next week or so and I can ask about the ground break date.

Indeed, Green City only recently (late August) acquired the land they need to build the bulk of the development, so I would imagine groundbreaking would be sometime in early 2024.

On another note, TBT has been soliciting suggestions for regional sites for their 2024 tournament...perhaps we should suggest the Siegel Center or the Henrico Center (the new name of the Henrico Sports & Events Center and not, in fact, the Robins Center; it's where the women's basketball team will play Delaware on December 11th)?

The wheels are not spinning. Lots of things are happening in the planning stages. They will break ground and move quickly. Not exactly sure about the timeline of things. I can check on that soon. I should see Dennis Bickmeirer in the next week or so and I can ask about the ground break date.
Perhaps it’s not. It just seem like things are a good bit behind schedule. Looking back to early in the thread, it looks like 2025 was the planned year for it to open. So, it’s at least 1 year behind if the new schedule remains intact. I guess I’m just impatient for this to get started.

Perhaps it’s not. It just seem like things are a good bit behind schedule. Looking back to early in the thread, it looks like 2025 was the planned year for it to open. So, it’s at least 1 year behind if the new schedule remains intact. I guess I’m just impatient for this to get started.
I do not think that they are behind schedule. I would need to go back and look at what was said near the beginning. I thought the completion date was always 2026. It is a huge development.

I do not think that they are behind schedule. I would need to go back and look at what was said near the beginning. I thought the completion date was always 2026. It is a huge development.
It was originally 2025 but it was pushed to 2026 because it took longer than anticipated to acquire all the land needed for it.

It was originally 2025 but it was pushed to 2026 because it took longer than anticipated to acquire all the land needed for it.
I should have known that since I was at Scott Farm shooting footage recently. Ha!

Is 2026 the completion date for the arena? Or the entire planned retail and housing complex?

Back