Hofstra is thinking about leaving the CAA.

I realize that VA Tech had more options available to them since our days in the Metro Conference. However, if they hadn’t taken an aggressive approach, moving a couple of times, perhaps they would not be in the ACC today.

Tech was all about D1 Football...totally...their basketball was meaningless in the scheme of things...of course now that they are in the ACC they benefit form all that is the ACC...kids want to play in the league, fans want to watch it, and TV wants to show it...move just about any good team ,including the upper level CAA teams, into that league and give them a couple years and they would compete as well. A rising tide lifts all boats.
The A10 has some very good basketball teams that would be fun to play home & home and could help elevate our profile but there are pitfalls as well.
UR has not exactly set the world on fire in basketball and the rest of the programs have suffered (sans football, which is a CAA sport). heck our baseball team has beaten them 10 straight times and we are going through one of worst down cycles in decades.

I would love to elevate our conference profile. But It will have to be in a new alignment of teams
And for the love of god...stop making me defend the CAA ;)

No one (and some of you guys were around) railed against our move from the Metro to the CAA more than I

Mercury said:
Half-baked Mcbride said:
Mercury said:
I'll admit I'm a homer but we need to limit the moral victories and start beating these BCS or high mid major teams

we have to start SCHEDULING the BCS and high major teams...that means swallowing our pride, and any hope of a return game, and go into the bears den and come out with the blood of their carcass on our hands. (too much? it's been a long week)

Agreed, I always thought that was an awful philosophy our last two coaches had. I hope Coach Smart is willing to take those one and done games with BCS teams.

I haven't heard an explanation for the policy. Coach's pride? Team chemistry? Somebody please tell, because I don't remember any of our coaches explaining it!

Ramdog said:
VCU can get in done in the CAA…but you do have to overcome a lot of obstacles.

Which is exactly why 99 time out of 100 a really good coach will bolt from VCU and the CAA if given the chance - Because they can get it done in ANOTHER conference WITHOUT having to overcome a lot of obstacles.

Ramdog said:
And for the love of god...stop making me defend the CAA ;)

No one (and some of you guys were around) railed against our move from the Metro to the CAA more than I

Thanks for making me LOL on a Friday afternoon!!! I know you are right and we will make the move at the appropriate time.

I just hope we don't move to conference USA, I don't feel like going to a conference with Memphis in it just to never get an auto bid. Will the A-10 even let us in, isn't the reason we are in the CAA is because of Charlotte didn't want us to follow them?

For the record, the only reason Tech got into the ACC was because Governor Warner pressured UVA into pushing for Tech to be invited into the ACC. It was all about Virginia politics.

Regarding my earlier comments, if Gonzago did not win those marquee BCS games, they are just another West Coast Conference team and they are also playing in bracket busters every year. It is all about capitalizing on your opportunities and for the most part VCU has not done that. They won the games and VCU has not.

Regarding Gonzaga not moving up to another conference, they are a basketball school like VCU which does hold them back. If they were D1 (not D1A) in football, they would have more opportunities. The Mountain West would take them in a heartbeat. The problem for Gonzaga is there are no BCS conferences on the west coast that have basketball only schools like on the east coast (Big East). If they were on the east coast, you can bet they would be in the Big East because of their basketball success against BCS teams.

Wolfpack Ram said:
For the record, the only reason Tech got into the ACC was because Governor Warner pressured UVA into pushing for Tech to be invited into the ACC. It was all about Virginia politics.

Regarding my earlier comments, if Gonzago did not win those marquee BCS games, they are just another West Coast Conference team and they are also playing in bracket busters every year. It is all about capitalizing on your opportunities and for the most part VCU has not done that. They won the games and VCU has not.

Regarding Gonzaga not moving up to another conference, they are a basketball school like VCU which does hold them back. If they were D1 (not D1A) in football, they would have more opportunities. The Mountain West would take them in a heartbeat. The problem for Gonzaga is there are no BCS conferences on the west coast that have basketball only schools like on the east coast (Big East). If they were on the east coast, you can bet they would be in the Big East because of their basketball success against BCS teams.

Greg Burton on Hardy Workin' just called for a UR for Hofstra trade..............
let him know how you feel

804-345-0950 studio
804-233-7680 studio
877-994-4950 studio toll free

[email protected]

Back