Hofstra is thinking about leaving the CAA.

Why would the CAA be interested in VMI??? Perhaps I am stupid but I just don't get the mentality here. It's like if the ACC lost Maryland from the conference, would they go after Towson????

It's like....how small can we think.

I say if Hofstra leaves send somebody else packing make life easy for everybody else

I've said it before and I'll say it again. VCU needs to focus on two things in basketball. Cracking the top 25 again and making it to the sweet 16. Until those two things happen, we are destined to stay in the CAA. How do we make those two things happen? Win some marquee BCS games! VCU beating Duke is history and we have got to stop trying to hang on to that one win. One Duke win and some close losses will not get you elevated to a stronger conference.

Regarding being ranked, we have not been ranked in the top 25 since we started playing in the Seigel Center. Yes, we are a nice mid-major school, but we are not a Butler. Heck, our bracketbuster record isn't even that great and I'm not talking about the return games.

Sometimes, I think many of us on these boards have over inflated VCU's recent success.

Wolfpack Ram said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. VCU needs to focus on two things in basketball. Cracking the top 25 again and making it to the sweet 16. Until those two things happen, we are destined to stay in the CAA. How do we make those two things happen? Win some marquee BCS games! VCU beating Duke is history and we have got to stop trying to hang on to that one win. One Duke win and some close losses will not get you elevated to a stronger conference.

Regarding being ranked, we have not been ranked in the top 25 since we started playing in the Seigel Center. Yes, we are a nice mid-major school, but we are not a Butler. Heck, our bracketbuster record isn't even that great and I'm not talking about the return games.

Sometimes, I think many of us on these boards have over inflated VCU's recent success.

Absolutely 100% agree. We are not the powerhouse some of our posters think we are. We have been successful in the CAA largely because of some guy named Maynor. He's not going to be back. We have to show we can sustain the success past a certain player. Davidson has certainly done more than we have over the last couple of years and you don't see anyone clamoring to take them. Why? It was just a great player they had in Curry, they'll drop off in time. You better believe that's what everyone outside our fanbase thinks of the Rams, except we haven't accomplished close to what Davidson did. Some of us need a reality check.

I'll admit I'm a homer but we need to limit the moral victories and start beating these BCS or high mid major teams

Mercury said:
I say if Hofstra leaves send somebody else packing make life easy for everybody else

this

We don't necessarily have to think in terms of giant leaps... just making the CAA a little bit better would go a long way. There are a number of schools that might be better fits in other leagues.

I disagree about Davidson, they were a pretty solid program before Curry arrived.

aglee!

Wolfpack Ram said:

LOL that is comical. Hofstra in the A-10 ...to do what loose even moore. :lol: The same team that said if they did not get into the NCAA tournament anything less they would not entertain. Time to get off the high horse. The CAA is not some throw away league. If you are truly good you are going to win no matter where you play. UNCW won at the Coliseum a number of times because they were good. Cant use excuses all the time.I say if they want to go let them. It is not like they have brought any big time wins with them anyway. See ya.....Oh and good luck trying to upgrade.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me preface this by saying that VCU is going nowhere anytime soon. The CAA, for all sports, fits for now.

One thing I think is way of base is the discussion that VCU need to win this or win that in order to move. Conference affiliation is more about potential than anything else. With better competition and a better TV package VCU would recruit better and have more money for facilities and the program in general. VCU has proven it’s commitment to men’s basketball and has potential. Next you need opportunity which without others moving doesn’t really exist.
Football (at the D1AA level) may or may not help depending on who you ultimately align with.
Saying that if VCU wins more and wins in the NCAA then we could move to a higher conference just because we want to …well it doesn’t work that way…
It is why the Zags are not in the Pac 10

VCU can get in done in the CAA…but you do have to overcome a lot of obstacles.

Ramdog said:
Let me preface this by saying that VCU is going nowhere anytime soon. The CAA, for all sports, fits for now.

One thing I think is way of base is the discussion that VCU need to win this or win that in order to move. Conference affiliation is more about potential than anything else. With better competition and a better TV package VCU would recruit better and have more money for facilities and the program in general. VCU has proven it’s commitment to men’s basketball and has potential. Next you need opportunity which without others moving doesn’t really exist.
Football (at the D1AA level) may or may not help depending on who you ultimately align with.
Saying that if VCU wins more and wins in the NCAA then we could move to a higher conference just because we want to …well it doesn’t work that way…

Agreed....WEll Put. :geek: :geek:

Ramdog said:

Ramdog...I agree wholeheartedly with your comments! However, I do like Hofstra’s aggressive approach to identify a new conference that they feel would better suit their needs. Whether or not they are able to align with a conference like the A10 (I doubt it) is yet to be seen. However, at least they are making their intentions known and who knows what doors may open for them because of it. If they are able to align with a better conference, I will be pi$$ed! At VCU, we take the approach that we can’t do it because, because, because, because. With that approach, we will never align with a better conference. Because of their football program, I realize that VA Tech had more options available to them since our days in the Metro Conference. However, if they hadn’t taken an aggressive approach, moving a couple of times, perhaps they would not be in the ACC today.

Charlotte will need to find a FCS conference for their FB team

Mercury said:
I'll admit I'm a homer but we need to limit the moral victories and start beating these BCS or high mid major teams

we have to start SCHEDULING the BCS and high major teams...that means swallowing our pride, and any hope of a return game, and go into the bears den and come out with the blood of their carcass on our hands. (too much? it's been a long week)

Half-baked Mcbride said:
Mercury said:

we have to start SCHEDULING the BCS and high major teams...that means swallowing our pride, and any hope of a return game, and go into the bears den and come out with the blood of their carcass on our hands. (too much? it's been a long week)

Agreed, I always thought that was an awful philosophy our last two coaches had. I hope Coach Smart is willing to take those one and done games with BCS teams.

Back