Hofstra is thinking about leaving the CAA.

NickGeorge21VCU said:
districtballer said:
NickGeorge21VCU said:
They might, they can't do anything in the A-10. Although I don't know if they Colonial would let them back in.

No. They don't want back in to the CAA. They are in a better basketball conference in the A-10 and they know that. They will be pretty good next year. If they are in the top 4 in any given year there is a good chance they can make the tournament. No way that's true in the CAA. They also know they burned a lot of bridges leaving and they wouldn't want to come back given the past history. The fact is, VCU would love to be in the A-10 right now. We certainly wouldn't have been the best team in the league in the A-10 the way we have been in the CAA. It's a stronger bball league any way you look at it.

I don't want to be in the A-10, I love the atmosphere in the CAA even if the A-10 is a better conference. I think the overall competitiveness is much greater in the CAA.

Right, but I think there are a lot of VCU fans who would beg to differ with you on that point. What does the CAA have to offer Richmond other than natural rivalries? They have it better in the A-10. That league recruits better than we do, they get more teams in the dance than we do, have more highly regarded coaches than we do, and have teams that go further in the dance than we do, more consistently. They have multiple teams who beat the big boys every year and we have threads for the whole conference dedicated to which team will pull a marquee win.

I'm not too worried about what Richmond thinks because, they haven't made the dance ONE TIME since they left the Colonial(Correct me if I'm wrong). VCU has had success in the dance and could have gone farther than they did each year they made it. The Colonial has been competitive in most the games they have lost in the dance, and advanced several rounds. Mason-Final Four, VCU- 1 round(OT loss to Pitt), VCU- 1 point loss to UCLA. Xavier consistently advances but they are the only team that can claim that in the A-10.

NickGeorge21VCU said:
I'm not too worried about what Richmond thinks because, they haven't made the dance ONE TIME since they left the Colonial(Correct me if I'm wrong). VCU has had success in the dance and could have gone farther than they did each year they made it. The Colonial has been competitive in most the games they have lost in the dance, and advanced several rounds. Mason-Final Four, VCU- 1 round(OT loss to Pitt), VCU- 1 point loss to UCLA. Xavier consistently advances but they are the only team that can claim that in the A-10.

Yup, and we don't have a team that can claim that.

NickGeorge21VCU said:

They got an at large in 2004

NickGeorge21VCU said:

You must be forgetting about St. Joe's. Also Temple has made some decentruns in the NCAA's, along with Dayton. Add in teams like Charlotte and St. Louis and there is no comparison regarding NCAA histories. That's why the A10 gets multiple bids.

Personally, I think CUSA would be a better fit if VCU went anywhere. More public schools similar to VCU. (UAB, Memphis, Central Florida, Southern Miss, Houston) The problem though is VCU does not have D1 football, so it won't happen. The A10 has way too many private schools that VCU would have nothing in common with.

Wolfpack Ram said:
NickGeorge21VCU said:

You must be forgetting about St. Joe's. Also Temple has made some decentruns in the NCAA's, along with Dayton. Add in teams like Charlotte and St. Louis and there is no comparison regarding NCAA histories. That's why the A10 gets multiple bids.

Personally, I think CUSA would be a better fit if VCU went anywhere. More public schools similar to VCU. (UAB, Memphis, Central Florida, Southern Miss, Houston) The problem though is VCU does not have D1 football, so it won't happen. The A10 has way too many private schools that VCU would have nothing in common with.

actually VCU has a lot in common with schools in the NE that have Basketball as their main sport

Don't forget about UMASS, they have some very good history and have their own Final Four from 1996 (of course tainted with controversy), You also have George Washington which went to 3 straight NCAA's recently. Rhode Island has a couple of Sweet 16 appearances as well. There are several teams in the A-10 that are very good. The CAA cannot make this boast.

Who last had a team in the Final 4?

The CAA has had at large bids recently.

Still, I agree the A10 is better. But the gap is not as wide as UR would like to believe it is.

Is GMU adding football? If so, then with JMU, Towson, UD, ODU, GSU, and WM then football should be leveraged with regards to conference affiliation. Stop scheduling UR and drop Hofstra if they leave.

One more thing....VCU is not going anywhere until we add football, and that might not ever happen.

I could see ODU going Conference USA in a few years.

So who do we get to replace Hofstra if they go? Or do we just shrink?

88RAM said:
Who last had a team in the Final 4?

The CAA has had at large bids recently.

Still, I agree the A10 is better. But the gap is not as wide as UR would like to believe it is.

Is GMU adding football? If so, then with JMU, Towson, UD, ODU, GSU, and WM then football should be leveraged with regards to conference affiliation. Stop scheduling UR and drop Hofstra if they leave.

Mason. Their only appearance and they had never done anything before that and haven't since then.

Yes 2 in our history. A-10 had 2 at-large bids this year.

Yes it is, the A-10 was the #8 conference this year I believe, CAA was #12.

That said, you're absolutely right. Not having football means we aren't going anywhere really. I too can see ODU moving up with football. We could probably stand to shrink a bit. I hate this unbalanced scheduling so if we could get to the point where we have home and homes for all the teams in the in conference schedule, I'd be fine with that.

If Hofstra leaves then the CAA might add Longwood. That wouldn't be a great trade. The only other hope would be a SoCon or Big South team. This is only if the CAA would want a replacement.

EBLR said:
If Hofstra leaves then the CAA might add Longwood. That wouldn't be a great trade. The only other hope would be a SoCon or Big South team. This is only if the CAA would want a replacement.

God please no. That's a downgrade in every way imaginable. We should take a Winthrop or Davidson maybe if they would like to come. Liberty would also be intriguing. They have a good athletics program and good booster support. That of course would make the conference even more VA-centric.

districtballer said:
EBLR said:

God please no. That's a downgrade in every way imaginable. We should take a Winthrop or Davidson maybe if they would like to come. Liberty would also be intriguing. They have a good athletics program and good booster support. That of course would make the conference even more VA-centric.
also College of Charleston and/or UNCG would help UNCW with a partner(s)

If hofstra wants to go to the A10 I say we get Xavier or Temple. If we did a trade I mean.

Back