Juvonte Reddic a Ram?

Mercury said:
districtballer said:
getSmart said:
I'm sure Maryland will land either Eric McKnight or Jonathan Graham. Both seem to be quality bigs still available. But they missed out big time on Juvonte. Hard work has paid off for Will and Shaka.

Actually I believe they are finished with the 2010 recruiting class already. While Juvonte had a Maryland offer, there were no more spots for him available after Haukur Paulson committed to Maryland. He had been tendered offers from both Oklahoma and Mississippi and had visits scheduled but has cancelled them after committing to VCU.

Reco McCarter had also visited Oklahoma and Georgia prior to commiting to VCU. It's nice to see VCU is beating out Capel for some guys.

UMD has 5 guys coming in for three spots I don't think that was the issue.

So do we.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=r ... &type=lgns

“Will Wade did an unbelievable job of coming in and recruiting him from the start,” said Pitts. “They stayed with it, and Coach Shaka Smart did an in-home last Thursday, and his aunt and uncle were very impressed with Shaka. I think the idea of playing for a young guy who is very enthusiastic probably got him.”

Ramball said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=rivals-365608&prov=rivals&type=lgns

“Will Wade did an unbelievable job of coming in and recruiting him from the start,” said Pitts. “They stayed with it, and Coach Shaka Smart did an in-home last Thursday, and his aunt and uncle were very impressed with Shaka. I think the idea of playing for a young guy who is very enthusiastic probably got him.”

You also gotta like this from Brian Snow at the end of the article.

On the strength of his senior year, Reddic will earn definite consideration for a Rivals150 ranking when they are updated after the season.

Reddic seems to be a top 150 guy after blooming late. That's absolutely AWESOME.

With that skill set schools like Maryland, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, and Virginia Commonwealth came calling and offered him a scholarship. While all four did a great job, according to Quality Education Coach Isaac Pitts, the Rams were especially impressive and gained Reddic’s commitment.

That is darn impressive. GREAT JOB SHAKA!

Pitts said Reddic also had offers from Maryland, Oklahoma and Mississippi.

“He had visits scheduled to all three places,” said Pitts, who has known Smart since Smart was an assistant at Clemson. “[Sunday] morning when we woke up, he said, ‘Coach, this feels good. I don’t really want to visit the other schools. This is where I want to be.

“I’m ecstatic. The kid loves it. I think Shaka is a great coach. The whole staff is great. They’ve just got a good feel for what they want to accomplish.”

Pitts and Reddic attended VCU’s game against William and Mary on Jan. 20 that the Rams won 81-59 in front of a crowd of 7,524 at the Siegel Center.

“I liked the way the fans get into it,” Reddic said. “I liked the support people were showing. The VCU staff, the assistant coaches, they all were cool.”

Said Pitts: “To me, but more importantly to Juvonte, VCU was a perfect fit, academically, athletically, socially. He said, ‘Coach, this feels right.’”

http://m.timesdispatch.com/richmond...nt=19&detailindex=5&pn=&ps=&full=true#display

I have a feeling that Juvonte and Reco will be rated in the top 150 upon Rivals final rankings. I also believe that Michael Bradley will not be in the top 150. Michael who? :lol: Bradley's potential along with Donte Williams never really blossomed. Guys we really wanted that did not opt to attend VCU and it may have been in our best interest.

Also, I believe DJ and Rob's rankings will be higher based on their senior season showings. DJ seems to have everything a coach could want and reminds me of David Robinson prior to attending Navy. Rob is a winner, I mean all he does is win games.

Great job by the coaching staff.

wow, so he's actually african american? His name sounds like a European big.
anyway, welcome Juvonte!

milanbear said:
wow, so he's actually african american? His name sounds like a European big.
anyway, welcome Juvonte!

Doesn't really sound European to me

RESRam - I've been out of town on business for a few days so I just saw your post. To answer your question, yes, I am familiar with Juvonte. As virtually all of the scouting reports indicate, he is a very long, extremely athletic big who is still somewhat raw in terms of his offensive skill-set. He is a strong rebounder, excellent shot blocker, and is known to be a very hard worker. The big thing about Juvonte is his very high ceiling. He is your classic late bloomer, but is really starting to blow-up now. This kid has a strong motor and can really get up and down the floor for a big.

I've talked to a number of people including coaches that have seen Juvonte play and they were extremely impressed with him. I understand he is right around 6'10" now. The staff has been on him really hard and it has obviously paid-off. This is a kid that they really coveted as did a lot of programs of late.

In terms of the number of Stars associated with him, not that it makes any difference, but that will likely change. Rivals has already indicated he will get strong consideration for top 150 status, he is already the #20 ranked Center by ESPN with a grade of 90, and Dave Telep will likely have him as a 3-Star when the final seasonal rankings come out. Telep really likes this kid and has seen him play many times.

People need to understand that everything is dynamic in the world of recruiting. Kids blow-up all the time. This is especially true of bigger kids whose skill-set often develops a little later in their prep career. The name of the game in terms of bigs is to find kids that are on the cusp of coming into their own and that possess substantial upside. Virtually all of the scouting services and the VCU staff feel this way about Juvonte. He is easily one of the best remaining bigs out there and could have gone to Maryland, Oaklahoma or Ole Miss. At one time Georgetown was in the picture as well.

How good a player will he end up being for the Rams - only time will tell. I can only tell you that a lot of programs would like to be sitting where we are right now not only in terms of Juvonte, but this recruiting class as a whole!

RAMification said:
I've talked to a number of people including coaches that have seen Juvonte play and they were extremely impressed with him. I understand he is right around 6'10" now. The staff has been on him really hard and it has obviously paid-off. This is a kid that they really coveted as did a lot of programs of late.

You know. You just cant teach the height.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM said:
RAMification said:

You know. You just cant teach the height.

Any chance that his wingspan is 7'6"? :lol:

If he is a legit 6'10" that is a very good thing for us. Usually height info on recruits can vary by a couple of inches depending on which site you are looking on and when the info was gathered.

districtballer said:
If you look at this video interviewing Juvonte and teammate Quincy Miller (the #2 overall prospect in the 2011 class), they are the same height and Quincy Miller is well-publicized as 6'10. They look the same height to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsjYDR8RAI

quincy looks slighty and i mean very slightly maybe 1/2 inch-inch at most taller than juvonte. most of the listings i saw on juvonte said 6' 8" or 6' 9," but with his bounce it doesnt really matter that much :lol:

Yeah I'd say 6'9 at the very least. They probably boosted him a little as most teams do. I agree he looks a shade shorter than Quincy, but definitely less than an inch.

Boys generally tend to grow into their early 20's....so we may get a few more inches out of him before it's all said and done.

Signing period in mid-April??

Back