Max Shulga and Sean Bairstow transferring to VCU

In this latest Rams Rewind Newcomer Roundup episode, host George Templeton interviews Aaron Harding, Sean Bairstow's high school basketball coach. Don't miss it!

I think Max is the go-to in the non-conference. If Zeb and Nelson are good by conference play, we probably become more versatile there with the rotation. Max leads us for the tournament charge at the end.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/08...st-acquisition-out-of-2023-transfer-portal/5/

Bracketology

• Published on 08/08/2023 at 7:00 AM EDT

Max Shulga – 6’4 Guard – VCU Rams​

Utah State guards Max Shulga and Sean Bairstow are following their head coach, Ryan Odom, to Virginia Commonwealth University. Shulga and Bairstow had career years last season as both were starters and considerable assets to Odom’s Aggies team that finished 26-9 and reached the NCAA Tournament.

Last season, Shulga averaged 11.9 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and shot 42.8 percent. The 6-foot-4 junior out of Kyiv, Ukraine, posted a career-high 29 points and seven rebounds in an 80-65 victory over the Air Force Falcons.

Bairstow also significantly contributed to the Aggies’ success during their 2022-23 campaign. The 6-foot-8 senior guard averaged 10.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, and shot 47.3 percent. He enters next season as a graduate student with VCU, and we can expect the veteran to perform well with plenty of experience under his belt.

While I believe that Shulga will be VCU’s main threat on both sides of the ball and will ultimately serve as the team’s primary floor general, I wouldn’t count Bairstow out for another breakout season. Lastly, with their previous chemistry on and off the court and their preexisting relationship with head coach Ryan Odom, VCU’s backcourt should be set up for success in 2023-24.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/08...st-acquisition-out-of-2023-transfer-portal/5/

Bracketology

• Published on 08/08/2023 at 7:00 AM EDT

Max Shulga – 6’4 Guard – VCU Rams​

Utah State guards Max Shulga and Sean Bairstow are following their head coach, Ryan Odom, to Virginia Commonwealth University. Shulga and Bairstow had career years last season as both were starters and considerable assets to Odom’s Aggies team that finished 26-9 and reached the NCAA Tournament.

Last season, Shulga averaged 11.9 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and shot 42.8 percent. The 6-foot-4 junior out of Kyiv, Ukraine, posted a career-high 29 points and seven rebounds in an 80-65 victory over the Air Force Falcons.

Bairstow also significantly contributed to the Aggies’ success during their 2022-23 campaign. The 6-foot-8 senior guard averaged 10.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, and shot 47.3 percent. He enters next season as a graduate student with VCU, and we can expect the veteran to perform well with plenty of experience under his belt.

While I believe that Shulga will be VCU’s main threat on both sides of the ball and will ultimately serve as the team’s primary floor general, I wouldn’t count Bairstow out for another breakout season. Lastly, with their previous chemistry on and off the court and their preexisting relationship with head coach Ryan Odom, VCU’s backcourt should be set up for success in 2023-24.
If his progression continues, and we both hope and expect it does. Shulga should have a great year. I see Bairstow as giving us what he gave last year, which would be good.

I also think that Zeb will be key to helping take some of the load off Shulga and letting him flow freely on offense some, as well as Zeb defending the other teams better wing.

Last edited:
I'm not going to die on the hill, but I don't think he will. I think it will be a mix of Nelson and Zeb.
I wouldn't swear to it, but I believe it was reported some time ago that he (Shulga) would be the starting PG. I am more than sure I read it in an online newspaper article. And plus the article MM post above.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I believe it was reported some time ago that he (Shulga) would be the starting PG. I am more than sure I read it in an online newspaper article. And plus the article MM post above.
I'm pretty sure that came from @AlienAiden 😃

PS: Not saying he's wrong, but I haven't heard it reported anywhere else.

Back