Recruiting Michael Belle (Espoirs ELITE, Fr)

Feels like a Reid replay.
It really isn't like Reid and most people aren't committing right away the day after their official visit. Reid we were the main school really connected with him and it went dark for a while with almost a month of will he won't he. It has been 2 days since Belle traveled across the ocean to visit two schools back to back and his life will be changing more than most recruits. If we get into June and he is visiting with some new school then it will feel like Reid.

Last edited:
Flyer fan here and Tweeter :)

First and foremost, I want to say there's major respect for VCU amongst the vast majority of Flyer Faithful. It's a really healthy rivalry that I hope stays healthy.

Please please please don't lump "Flyer Fans" together with the select few Blackburn Review guys on Twitter. They're @$$holes that have a big following only because there aren't other options. A lot of what they say is done tongue in cheek too but too many take them seriously and don't know not to.

No one in their right mind wouldnt be upset on losing out on Belle and while there may be some loud voices on Twitter saying otherwise, they absolutely don't speak for us.

Best of luck in the rebuild! Seems VCU is in a much better (impressive) position than UD going into next season pre-Belle announcement.
All good. Anyone who has been to Dayton or NY knows the fans aren’t @sshats. Well most anyway. Ram nation has its twitter morons too including some that just try to stir stuff up.

For note I didn’t know UD considered it a rivalry now. That’s interesting to hear.

Since it's pretty quiet, I've been pondering one fan saying one of the pros of UD over VCU is the "Obi effect". I can't tell if it's because he was a first draft pick (we've had more both before and after he was drafted), or that he's producing modest numbers off the bench? Or is it something else? And FWIW, this isn't meant to be a dig at Obi, I'm just lost why Obi would be a recruiting advantage over VCU.

Since it's pretty quiet, I've been pondering one fan saying one of the pros of UD over VCU is the "Obi effect". I can't tell if it's because he was a first draft pick (we've had more both before and after he was drafted), or that he's producing modest numbers off the bench? Or is it something else? And FWIW, this isn't meant to be a dig at Obi, I'm just lost why Obi would be a recruiting advantage over VCU.
They overinflate Obi because he's their most recent 1st round pick, their last one was in 1979. To them he's a huge deal, but to them our three first rounders since 2009 are "unknowns". It's just bias.

Topin is also a forward, just like Belle. Perhaps Dayton showed Belle the 42 point game Topin had in the NBA and told Belle, "This could be you in the future if you come to Dayton and play."
Belle may also have other option other than US college basketball. He may have options to play at the professional level in Europe which may also appeal to him.....and his wallet.
Or with his trip to the US getting twitter and instagram action, perhaps some other programs jumped on the bandwagon at the last minute and are talking to him.
Or perhaps he is still talking it over with family and coaches and is carefully weighing various aspects of both programs and how he would fit in.

Based on a tweet from a kid that transferred out.?

ah…OK
Just because he transferred out, does not mean he did not enjoy his time and great basketball amenities here at VCU. Perhaps JJ feels that VCU and the new coach (based on JJ's interaction with Odom over the last month+) feels that VCU is a great place to develop your skills on the court, strength and conditioning. JJ did exactly that over the last 2 years but with the coaching change, he opted to try a different path because regardless of whether he stayed or left he would be starting over with a new coach and players.

Back