Players Michael Belle is a VCU Ram!

This is what I've been saying -- he's got far more experience coming into college than most freshmen, and he's been killing it in the league in which he played. This makes him a valuable recruit. Also, it's important to note that he didn't start playing basketball until he was 13. Because of this and because at one point he was playing FOUR YEARS above his age level in France, I don't believe he's anywhere near his ceiling.
You can also look at the limited video and see his length, athleticism, mobility, and ball handling skills are high major level and that he should be ready to contribute.

I certainly believe VCU is a step up from the U21 league he's been playing in, and also that he wasn't ready for their top level pro league. That pro league is a lot of former NBA players and he's a 19 year old who wasn't ready for that. So, I won't debate you on any of that.

Regarding where that U21 league would fall in comparison to US college basketball, there can be some debate. My thought is that they're like good D2 or weak D1 teams. Do you have evidence to back up your statement that an AAU team would crush them?
Do you have any evidence that they wouldnt?

Last year as soon as we put up a shot, 4 guys ran back to play defense. JJ was usually the only player hitting the offensive boards.
And sometimes the guy who knew his shot was off. But if Coach Odom wanted him (Belle), then I did too! Glad he's a Ram and not a Fayer!!

1.jpg

ITW Michael Belle (Strasbourg):
"I consider myself lucky to be seen as a local player"
May 15, 2023

Arrived from London three years ago, Michael Belle (19 years old, 1m95) will obtain his status as a locally trained player at the end of the season. One of the strong men of the Espoirs de la SIG Strasbourg talks about his last adventure in France before flying to the United States.

After a season at the London Towers, you came directly to Strasbourg. What were the reasons for this arrival?

I arrived in Strasbourg when I was playing a tournament in Manchester. One of Comsport's agents was present to watch the tournament and the players. Many were there for Jérémy Sochan who was drafted this year in the NBA by the San Antonio Spurs. I was playing against him, I think I caught their attention. The agents saw Jeremy, they saw me too, my competitive side, I had a good game. They then got in touch with my coach in London. They said they had several of my matches. Afterwards, they met me, as well as my family and my coach.

“At home, there are great talents”
On the verge of obtaining JFL status, is the French championship the ideal place to become the player you want to be?

Honestly, I think with this JFL status, I would consider myself lucky to be seen as a local player. When I come back to play in France, or when I have to come back, I know it's an opportunity to improve and help the team. I consider this as an option, and I am sure that with this option in the future, I can explore others. For example, the opportunity to play in the United States. At the end of the season, I leave Strasbourg to go to an American university. It's an opportunity to compete against the best young people in the world, to play at another level. It's an opportunity to see it with my own eyes, and also to see what I'm capable of playing at such a high level.

Britain is not famous for being a basketball country. Do you think you can help change this image?

Yes 100%. Me and other young people in the country are trying to make this country even bigger when it comes to basketball. Having played in other countries, I think British basketball has nothing to be ashamed of. The opportunity has come to try to put this sport on par with another like football in Britain. With us, there are great talents, and we see it even more today. I am one of them but there are others too, who are my age, who have played in London. Some of us have played in other European countries, at university.

“The Pro B was an option”
We have seen a few entries into play in the first team. Were there certainties to have playing time with the pros or did you know it would be more difficult?
Obviously, this season it was difficult to have certainties, especially for me. In the third part of the season, I was not very present with the first team. I didn't really train with the GIS. When I came back to train, I was placed in the rotation. There were injuries, so it was an opportunity for me to gain playing time. I felt like in the end, I wouldn't keep that game time, that experience, or the extra time to improve my game if I stayed. I told myself that I would have more minutes in Pro B, in an American university or elsewhere.

Why didn't you choose the Pro B?

The Pro B was an option. We discussed it for a long time with my agent and my family. We thought that the opportunity to play in the United States, at another level, everyone would have seized it. I can always come back to France even if everything goes well or things go differently. I told myself that I had so many opportunities for the future that I didn't want to pass up my chance, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on making my choice.
2.jpg

On Twitter, CBB Europe, a page relaying information on young European players, suggested that a departure for the NCAA is possible. Has there always been a real desire to try the experience there?

During the year 2022, I was able to play against Bronny James. It was in August, last summer. During this game, I got a lot of attention. There are universities who already wanted to see me, who came on this occasion. I already had some opportunities, this was the exposure I needed. The third option was to go to Pro B. I had no exposure, no contact with American coaches at that time. After that game, that changed, and I felt like I was opening my eyes to this really becoming a possibility.
3.jpg

What goals have you set for yourself following this move to the United States?

Beyond the collective goals that the coach has set for us, I would like to become one of the best in the world. Being able to go to the NBA or the EuroLeague, I don't close any doors. I will follow the programs, the trainings, hoping that these people can help me improve my game, and reach the potential that I know I have. If I win the conference championship, or March Madness, that could get me drafted in the next three years.

In case anyone needs the above linked interview translated.

<===========This is me!

Wow, we got us a squad that will be better than last years! A10 favorites for sure.

In the videos that I have seen, he’s block three 3 pointers with his length. Even in highlight videos, that’s impressive. You could follow our best defenders’ entire careers and not find 3 of those for a guy.
Yeah, some were saying we were going to take a step back in athleticism under Odom. If Belle is any indication, maybe not. Add ball handling and shooting skills that some of our more athletic guys didn't have. I'm looking forward to seeing how this guy develops. I see PT right away, maybe not starting but he'll play.

Yeah, some were saying we were going to take a step back in athleticism under Odom. If Belle is any indication, maybe not. Add ball handling and shooting skills that some of our more athletic guys didn't have. I'm looking forward to seeing how this guy develops. I see PT right away, maybe not starting but he'll play.
From what I’ve heard and seen in his clips, his outside shot needs work. I agree with you though on the ball handling and slasher skills.

Back