Mike Rhoades rumored to take Penn State head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news for VCU.

Mike Rhoades was not bad enough to fire but not good enough to extend.

If they get the coach from Utah state, that is a definite upgrade.

Penn State will regret this hire. They will be slightly above .500 at best.

I was a fan of the hire of Mike Rhodes, but he has been mediocre, and thus a disappointment.

This is good news for VCU.

Mike Rhoades was not bad enough to fire but not good enough to extend.

If they get the coach from Utah state, that is a definite upgrade.

Penn State will regret this hire. They will be slightly above .500 at best.

I was a fan of the hire of Mike Rhodes, but he has been mediocre, and thus a disappointment.
Agreed. VCU made the right call.

It's so sad. Every coach uses VCU as a stepping stone. We have a consistently good team year round, but no coach wants to stay to progress the program towards even greater heights.

Agreed. VCU made the right call. What has MR done to warrant a 7 year deal? O-2-1 in 6 years in the NCAAT. PSU can have him.
I will say, a lot of ish happened that made it harder on Rhoades. If we can get Odom, I like that but I would also like if Rhaodes stayed.

It's so sad. Every coach uses VCU as a stepping stone. We have a consistently good team year round, but no coach wants to stay to progress the program towards even greater heights.
We’re a P5 springboard program. Come to VCU, spend ~ 4-6 years, and if you’re successful you’ll get invited to the financial promise land

Agreed. I feel the same way.
I don't actually blame Mike on an individual level. I don't blame players for wanting to be financially rewarded and for wanting to maximize any pro potential... but it's souring the milk. At what point does the association with the school become too tenuous and merely nominal to sustain fan loyalty? Mere arms-length sponsorship.

Nah bruh, not every player gets a massive NIL. Transfers are helping a lot of teams as they can also hurt. Not a fan of either, but if he stayed we would've been fine. Also, we offered 2.6...he just wanted a 7 year deal and knew we couldn't accept that right now. He knew what he was doing, and that he was playing us.

Read between the lines my dude....and you will find why ppl are upset, on top of his bs comments in the beginning of his tenure.
When did he make the comments you alluded to? Before NIL and the transfer portal totally altered the landscape of college basketball, right? Things changed. I’m not saying every player gets a massive NIL deal. But NIL has turned NCAA hoops upside down. Again, don’t hate the player, hate the game. Not every NCAA coach has the same values and morals you evidently demonstrate in your personal life. He has never won an NCAAT game and got offered $3.5 million annually to coach a B1G team. I’d question your sanity if you were in his shoes and turned that offer down.

I wanted Mike to stay for the core of players he would have likely been bringing back, not for his coaching ability. Good on VCU for not betting the entire future on a mid coach.

Bring in Odom, retain as many players as we can, backfill the rest of the roster, and get this machine rolling again 8-)

When did he make the comments you alluded to? Before NIL and the transfer portal totally altered the landscape of college basketball, right? Things changed. I’m not saying every player gets a massive NIL deal. But NIL has turned NCAA hoops upside down. Again, don’t hate the player, hate the game. Not every NCAA coach has the same values and morals you evidently demonstrate in your personal life. He has never won an NCAAT game and got offered $3.5 million annually to coach a B1G team. I’d question your sanity if you were in his shoes and turned that offer down.
On the flip side, I would question the person you are if you go against your word because things got tougher and then saw something "shinier." No one knows the future, but that's why ppl should be mindful of their words.

Meh ... You'd think as old as I am I'd be used to the coaching carousel that is VCU. While I'm gonna work on my expectations, I'd like the AD to improve our contracts with future coaches.
If we're gonna be a stepping stone for coaches to the big leagues, if we're gonna be a placement agency for them, we should be compensated for our investment. It's standard in the labor industry to pay a fee based on % of 1st yr salary for converting a consultant, usually ~20% (maybe that's not enough here).
With a fixed buyout clause, bigger schools won't sneeze at a few $100K. Let's align it to what they can afford!
This won't stop a coach from leaving, but it'll help us get the next one.

What's Odom's coaching style? I haven't seen them play much this year. Hopefully they have better offensive sets, because ours was mostly hit or miss most of the season and every year prior.

What's Odom's coaching style? I haven't seen them play much this year. Hopefully they have better offensive sets, because ours was mostly hit or miss most of the season and every year prior.
Good offense, ok but not great defense.
Kenpom raking of 27 overall, 16th offense, 70th defense, and 111th tempo. For comparison we were 60th overall, 145th offense, 15th defense, and 142nd tempo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back