Mike Rhoades rumored to take Penn State head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, could you imagine if we brought in a new coach who never won an NCAA tournament and paid him 3M a year? LOL, our fan base would lose it!
If PSU is willing to do that, then Mike Rhoades should jump all over it and get while the getting is good because he would be making out like a bandit.

In hindsight, could you imagine if we brought in a new coach who never won an NCAA tournament and paid him 3M a year? LOL, our fan base would lose it!
If PSU is willing to do that, then Mike Rhoades should jump all over it and get while the getting is good because he would be making out like a bandit.
This is the year for him to do it, after winning the regular season and conference tournament. Because who knows if this is the highlight or not. Another school may look at it as "he can win, and with our resources, he will win an NCAA tournament game or two."

On the flip side, I would question the person you are if you go against your word because things got tougher and then saw something "shinier." No one knows the future, but that's why ppl should be mindful of their words.
I don’t think I would care about your holier than thou sounding opinion of me “going against my word” if I took an opportunity to create generational wealth for my family. I doubt Mike Rhoades cares about you either.

This is the year for him to do it, after winning the regular season and conference tournament. Because who knows if this is the highlight or not. Another school may look at it as "he can win, and with our resources, he will win an NCAA tournament game or two."
Would he even been a candidate, if we lost in the A-10 championship and not made the NCAA?

Obviously I’m biased but RVA is a heck of a lot nicer than Pennsyltucky and all his kids grew up here. I just don’t want bull poop “I had to go back to PA” reasons.

He got more $ in a big time conference and that can advance his career and give him a more likely chance at a national championship. That’s all I want to hear from him.

Obviously I’m biased but RVA is a heck of a lot nicer than Pennsyltucky and all his kids grew up here. I just don’t want bull poop “I had to go back to PA” reasons.

He got more $ in a big time conference and that can advance his career and give him a more likely chance at a national championship. That’s all I want to hear from him.
On that note, he just seriously wrecked Porter's life. She's a student-athlete who's a junior in high school. That's the absolute WORST time to have to move somewhere else.

On that note, he just seriously wrecked Porter's life. She's a student-athlete who's a junior in high school. That's the absolute WORST time to have to move somewhere else.
He might just let his family stay in Richmond for another year. A lot of coaches will live away from their family for a year or two when things like this happen.

I don't actually blame Mike on an individual level. I don't blame players for wanting to be financially rewarded and for wanting to maximize any pro potential... but it's souring the milk. At what point does the association with the school become too tenuous and merely nominal to sustain fan loyalty? Mere arms-length sponsorship.
I do think there is a danger of alienating enough fans (a lot of young people are already there) that all the money behind all this change will begin to dry up. You don't have big TV contracts if the game is not attracting fans. This is why I think the power move of the B1G and SEC to create a two conference monopoly is short sighted. it may be good for the B1G and SEC in the short run, but it's bad for college sports in the long run, even all mighty football.
I like the players being able to take advantage of NIL, but I'd like to see it really be NIL and I don't begrudge being able to transfer, at least once, without having to sit.
But I think NIL as structured now is not sustainable, it hurts the sports and when NIL donners get tired of forking out big bucks up front on players that don't produce results the NIL will be distributed more frugally and maybe regulated to at least on the face of it really be NIL.
It will never be what it was, but maybe some things shouldn't be what they were. Maybe some of those rushing head long into what seems good for a moment need to take a longer term look. I'm a huge sports fan, but I'm getting so I would sometimes rather just sit down and read a book, and I know I'm not alone. That says something about where we are.

Who says the family has to move?
My family moved before my junior year of high school. I hated it. I had no friends, and really was only with those folks for two years. I met my future (and current husband), and I made a few good friends, but there were no roots. I never felt connected. Maybe $3M will make it feel better for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back