Mock draft has Larry going to Utah in first round

VRam said:
Whoooosh said:
I know his percentages and numbers may not be the highlight of any games thus far, but he has made some key momentum 3's for us in a couple games this year, and I've seen him fight for quite a few loose balls, as well as hustle on some out-of-bounds plays. B-Rozz has heart, just like Joey, and you can have a team loaded with talent, but if there is no heart or drive you basically have nothing.

I have no problem with Brandon (especially after only four games) and all I care about is whether we win, especially at this stage of the season. But apparently some others are more concerned with stats. So if we're gonna play let's pick on Larry because we don't like his stats, then we need to get everyone else involved and analyze their stats. It's a team game.

It's a shame really, because stats are for losers. Winners shouldn't care about stats.
3-1 is the only stat I care about right now. I do understand what some of you are saying about Larry not playing up to his potential this year, but you have to remember that we are only 4 games into the season and things are different without Maynor on the team. Larry isn't use to getting this much attention from opposing teams. No way could any one afford to double team Larry last season with Eric on the floor. This is a work in progress, and I feel like he will get much better as the season goes on. Even if he doesn't we are still darn lucky to have him, but he will.

Exactly. Now if Larry was averaging 20 and 12 and we were 1-3, then I'd be worried.

3-1 is the only stat I care about right now. I do understand what some of you are saying about Larry not playing up to his potential this year, but you have to remember that we are only 4 games into the season and things are different without Maynor on the team. Larry isn't use to getting this much attention from opposing teams. No way could any one afford to double team Larry last season with Eric on the floor. This is a work in progress, and I feel like he will get much better as the season goes on. Even if he doesn't we are still darn lucky to have him, but he will.[/quote]

I agree we need to give Larry a little time to adjust, I just hope he comes around soon. I disagree with the sentiments to let Larry foul out of games to "teach him a lesson". He isn't in kindergarden. The kid wants to play and I'm sure sitting on the bench for 3/4 of a half watching your team play without you is "lesson" enough. Fact is that if he fouls out we lose games, that's what the stats show...Larry does a lot more in the game than the kept statistics show. His presence alters the flow of the game for opposing teams and can't be measured. To let him foul out from a coaching perspective is pure foolishness in my opinion. Probably the reason his stats are the way they are is that he has been unable to remain in the game. My guess is that if and when he can manage to stay on the court for 35 minutes he'll be putting up consistent double doubles.
That said I'd like to see us develop a more diverse offense. I've heard Skeen can shoot the ball so maybe he'll be able to develop a bit more of a midrange, short jumper game for us. I'd like to see Theus, Rozell, Nixon, and Burgess taking some higher percentage shots from inside the arc, with more penetration to draw defenders off Larry for the dish down low and/or free up our 3 pt shooters as the defense collapses. It's gonna take some time to develop this as a team.

VRam said:
Exactly. Now if Larry was averaging 20 and 12 and we were 1-3, then I'd be worried.

Guess one thing we can agree on right there

just make sure you guys take off for the tournament :)

I don't understand why people on these boards are so defensive about some of the early concerns regarding Larry. This guy was hyped up an unbelievable amount this summer becaue of his performance at two elite camps. He is currently projected to be the 18th player taken in the NBA draft this spring as a junior. So far in 4 games, Larry has averaged 22.5 minutes, 4.8 rebounds and has taken 4 three pointers and hit one. (something he has never done before in college) Forget VCU's record. Do these stats sound like someone who is projected 18th in the first round? And what's up with Larry even thinking about shooting threes? We have plenty of three point shooters on this team without Larry joining the mix. He is not helping this team playing that far from the basket. This is still a team sport.

Wolfpack Ram said:
And what's up with Larry even thinking about shooting threes? We have plenty of three point shooters on this team without Larry joining the mix.

This is an interesting new concept and point of discussion that hasn't been presented before on these forums. Please continue. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sometimes said:
Wolfpack Ram said:
And what's up with Larry even thinking about shooting threes? We have plenty of three point shooters on this team without Larry joining the mix.

This is an interesting new concept and point of discussion that hasn't been presented before on these forums. Please continue. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Larry mentioned in the Oklahoma post game press conference that he didn't think he would be shooting any more threes per Coach Smart and then he goes out two days later and jacks up two more. So much for listening to the coach. I hope we are not dealing with "big head" syndrome here.

Wolfpack Ram said:
Sometimes said:
Wolfpack Ram said:

Larry mentioned in the Oklahoma post game press conference that he didn't think he would be shooting any more threes per Coach Smart and then he goes out two days later and jacks up two more. So much for listening to the coach. I hope we are not dealing with "big head" syndrome here.

Maybe he has the green light from Shaka...and he is messing with the competition? :?:

I laugh more when Larry is dribbling up the court like a point guard...

VCUBeatsduke

VCUBeatsduke said:
Maybe he has the green light from Shaka...and he is messing with the competition? :?:

VCUBeatsduke

He's channeling his inner Lamar Odom.

For those that have been around as long as I have, Larry dribbling up the court is a flashback to the Times-Dispatch Tournament days and Ralph Sampson. Ralph would do the same thing and Terry Holland wouldn't do anything about it because Ralph was the UVA "franchise". Lots of "air time" in those dribbles!

Maybe when Larry saw those other guys go 6 for 26 from three point land at WMU, he figured he could do better. :lol: :lol:

VCUBeatsduke[/quote]

I vaguely remember reading that they practice this in a drill brought by Rhodes so everybody gats some experience dribbling the ball up the court under pressure. Sounds like a good drill to me to avoid turning the ball over in pressure situations. (It is funny seeing it though)

well, his draft stock goes way up if he can show ball handling and outside range( so I understand his effort here) but it seems to me he should stay in school to develop leadership, and skills. Plus, I think we'd all like to see VCU achieve national ranking and go deeper in the bigger tournaments. Everytime I see something about his draft status I cringe because I think of lost opportunities for VCU as a program. I mean if he's that good and stays and we win big then the program and conference are prominent on the national stage which helps recruiting . If he stays and we win big then he's drafted much higher. I guess you can say everytime we have a player drafted it helps recruitment but when we win big as a program I think recruiting is helped much more.

Back