OT: Other conference tournaments

The NIT, especially if hosting, is far from “free money”. The only entity making any money off the NIT is the NCAA.

The NIT looks obsolete now. Especially with expanding the dance to 96 schools talk.

Not a popular opinion on these boards, but Indiana State probably deserves an at-large before Dayton. Dayton did not finish the season strong. They were 5-4 in their last 9 games. And one of those wins was the OT win at home against VCU.

Wrong

Which has had me wondering while watching the scores and the number of "upsets", are some of the higher seed teams giving up because they don't care about conference championships anymore? They know they are going to the NCAA, and I am not sure that conference championships mean much to them anymore in the NIL/Portal era.

Which has had me wondering while watching the scores and the number of "upsets", are some of the higher seed teams giving up because they don't care about conference championships anymore? They know they are going to the NCAA, and I am not sure that conference championships mean much to them anymore in the NIL/Portal era.
While there may not be as big sense of urgency for a team that's locked in a protected seed, it's also probably a parity thing wherein the covid and transfer rules have reduced the talent disparity between great and good teams.

Meanwhile, the NIT was reworked to ensure more bids (and more money) for power conferences, and they're all rejecting NIT invites. At this rate Vanderbilt's gonna be the SEC's autobid for the NIT, and they just fired Stackhouse.

I'm sure it wasn't a unique thought, but I predicted this as soon as I heard about the new NIT setup. Power conference teams don't give a hoot about the NIT, and neither do their fans. Trying to shove more of them in there just won't work. Personally, I think if a P6 team is in line for an NIT bid and rejects it, that conference should lose one of its autobids for the year and the NCAA should just grab the team with the next highest NET.

I'm not sure if I'm buying that. Even if a team is locked in a spot in the NCAAs, losing in their conference tournament can hurt their seeding. Obviously Dayton wasn't a 1 seed, but they're a good example nonetheless. Losing their first game in the conference tournament surely moved them down at least one spot, possibly more.

Back