Real Time RPI

Well, the regular season in the CAA (even if we win them all) will drop us to 35-45 pretty efficiently.

Also, the ODU guys are once again claiming "best team in the CAA status" - - very funny. Feel free to let them know that this is likely to be settled on the court once again. I know they don't believe in that approach, but it's true.

19863_705829490136_25501382_39578704_5378359_n.jpg

Holy Cow, Bill and Harry are up to 8!

VCU is 16 :)

I wonder how much it will fall after we play ECU (win or lose).

mrCAA said:
I wonder how much it will fall after we play ECU (win or lose).

If we win we should stay pretty much on track (they are higher than Tulane was), lose and we could see a double digit drop. Take care of business at home and avoid any losses to the bottom half of the CAA and we should be in decent shape. Still a ton of variables, but I think we have positioned ourselves well in OOC play (scheduling and winning) so far. All we control from here out is winning.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Half-baked Mcbride said:
Yea....thanks a lot Delaware, Towson, and Georgia State (you have to kind of read it with an overly sarcastic tone)

As long as we take care of business against those teams they are fine with me. If we can finish out the CAA schedule with 3-4 losses then our RPI should be where it needs to be. Right now I am not overly confident about any road games, but I think the team will get it together (on the road) in time.
We can't get 3-4 losses in conference and get an at large bid and that is the only real reason at looking at our RPI. If we win the rest of our OOC we can lose two games maybe but not 3 if we lose our bracketbuster our ECU we have one more conference lose before we have to win the conference championship. That is the game, 4 losses in the CAA would stick a fork in us and seriously should we get in the tournament if we lose 3 more games in conference?

my guess is that after we beat, (yes i said after we beat) East Carolina we will be 8-2 at the end of '09, therefore giving us 17 CAA games, n the bracket buster. my guess is that we will go 15-2 in the rest of our CAA games. (15-3) overall with losses @ W&M, n to ODU and Mason or Northeastern. if we win our Bracket Buster game (unfortunately the only good road team this year is Siena n my guess is that Butler will play them) we will finish the season with a CAA record of 15-3 and an overrall record of 24-4. without a slip up in the CAA quarterfinals we might be a lock cz by then we would have 25 to 26 wins, n no team that i know of has been left out of the field with 26 wins. I am extremely jumping ahead of myself, but its something to think about

RamLifer said:
VCU Finance 2008 said:
Half-baked Mcbride said:
Yea....thanks a lot Delaware, Towson, and Georgia State (you have to kind of read it with an overly sarcastic tone)

As long as we take care of business against those teams they are fine with me. If we can finish out the CAA schedule with 3-4 losses then our RPI should be where it needs to be. Right now I am not overly confident about any road games, but I think the team will get it together (on the road) in time.
We can't get 3-4 losses in conference and get an at large bid and that is the only real reason at looking at our RPI. If we win the rest of our OOC we can lose two games maybe but not 3 if we lose our bracketbuster our ECU we have one more conference lose before we have to win the conference championship. That is the game, 4 losses in the CAA would stick a fork in us and seriously should we get in the tournament if we lose 3 more games in conference?

I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong, or that you are right and I am wrong, but I could see us losing @W&M, @ODU, @Hofstra, and vsGMU in the tourney final (just for example) and still having a chance to get an at large. Depending on how those other teams do, and assuming we don't drop any at home or have any bad losses. A loss at home to Delaware for example could drop us further in the RPI then three of those away losses listed above. Of course this is all hypothetical and it will also depend on how the other teams in the country do and who takes up the at large bids. Some seasons there are teams with RPI's in the 30's that get left out and some seasons a team with an RPI in the 50's makes it. Last year we finished in the 50's with 4 CAA losses (1 at home, and two bad losses) as well as losses in many of the OOC games that we have already won this year. So far we are on track to do much better then that.

I'm not thinking that we lose a home game this year unless it is against ODU. I do say we lose on the road. @Hofstra @ODU @Mason and one slip up against @NU/Wilmington. That would put us at 23-6(14-4) going into the CAA tournament. That would probally give us the 2nd seed or possibly the first. We go to the finals and we got ourselves an at-large at 25-7. I think we will have to have at least 25 wins to get the at large though.

theyaintwantit said:
no team that i know of has been left out of the field with 26 wins.

There have been teams that have been left out with 26 wins. In fact, we need to look no further than Creighton last year with an RPI of 40 and 26 wins. That is the most comparable situation to where we are. However, last year's field was much stronger than this year's is shaping up to be and Creighton was blown away by Illinois St. in the MVC tournament. I like that the Pac-10 is down this year and the Big10 is a little softer than I expected. The best thing for us, IMO, is that we have a couple of bad (read: 2-3 bid conferences) BCS conferences and one or two 'super conferences' that have a bunch of at-large worthy teams but who beat each other up so much that, perhaps, an at large team is 2 games below .500 in conference. This would free up a bid, or, at the worst, have fewer 'locks' and a bunch of teams around where we are in the RPI with many fewer wins and more exposed flaws.

Other teams that have had 26 wins and not made it (according to Gary Parrish):
IUPUI and Robert Morris in 2008
Akron in 2007

However, the Creighton example is most analogous to where we could be. They had wins over New Mexico, Dayton, St. Joe's, and DePaul in their out of conference slate in addition to one bad loss at Arkansas Little Rock and at Nebraska.

IUPUI and Robert Morris are both in crappy conferences so they do not apply to us but Creighton definitly makes sense. all i can say is that if we play our game, for the rest of the season, we know we will be able to win, and our resume will reflect

VCU Finance 2008 said:
but I could see us losing @W&M, @ODU, @Hofstra, and vsGMU in the tourney final (just for example)
Terrible example. Completely unrealistic. This underlined part NEVER happens. :lol:

RPI up to 12 today. Possibly due to a good win by Nevada last night.

Back