So....

Status
Not open for further replies.
VCU Finance 2008 said:
I couldn't agree with you two guys more. We have a great program, but no school is entitled to any thing. Since you did mention UNC think about how they are doing this year. They are coming off of a National championship. I doubt if any of them are calling for Roy Williams head though.

You make a very good point about UNC, but the difference is we are NOT UNC. We have a coach who has yet to prove himself. Roy Williams has won how many National Championships? That buys him a little slack. Also, UNC is a program that's had it's ups and downs... from Dean Smith to Bill Guthridge/Matt Doherty. They will always return to greatness. VCU was last good when, in the 80's? Until we've proven ourselves as a national powerhouse, seasons like this are just going to ruin any sort of prestige we've built.

theyaintwantit said:
Mistachill said:
I'm fine with everyone except this group of so-called fans who seem to lay in the weeds and can't wait to trash our coach the first opportunity that comes along. They are the "head stuck in the sand" crowd, just from a different perspective.

They think VCU is suppose to have the best team EVERY year, any down years are unacceptable, and all loses are due to our new head coach. They think the machine is just suppose to keep rolling no matter what and bumps in the road are not tolerated. They think we're the mid-major version of North Carolina because they've only followed VCU hoops for about 6 years or less.

I have no problem with objective criticism. It's the emotional criticism with little validity that annoy me.

Mistachill you are the man. Everyone thinks that VCU is an unstoppable force after they made the NCAA Tournament in 2004, 2007, and 2009 and the NIT in 2005 and 2008. We are a "mid-major." Yes we are a good team, yes we have talent, but at the same time why can't any other team in the CAA be better than us? Some fans are just so ignorant that they cannot look from a different prespective.

I'd opine that there is nothing wrong with expecting greatnes, and would actually argue that it's instumental in ever achieving it. We've begun to acquire momentum over the last decade, and I feel that there is nothing unrealistic about wanting to see more success built off of that.

You know what...watch us win our next 5 games. Thats right I said it. If we don't NIT, or CBI. Next year, we are going to be pretty darn good, but until next year...the next 10 games are going to be must see basketball. I get down on life whenm VCU loses, but I bounce back in a week. Just how I am.

Next three games, we gotta and should win. If we beat ODU and GMU, oh it's on!

I'm going to remain positive,

We lost to a team that beat us at home...surprise!

I would say something about how certain individuals need to put their proverbial mr. vitale back in their pants, but that would be inappropriate...

4RunningRam said:
I'd opine that there is nothing wrong with expecting greatnes, and would actually argue that it's instumental in ever achieving it. We've begun to acquire momentum over the last decade, and I feel that there is nothing unrealistic about wanting to see more success built off of that.

What do your expectations for greatness as a fan have to do with the reality that the team has to play within?

And what does expressing disappointment or anger when those expectations aren't met do to alter the team's reality?

artRAMinMN said:
4RunningRam said:

What do your expectations for greatness as a fan have to do with the reality that the team has to play within?

And what does expressing disappointment or anger when those expectations aren't met do to alter the team's reality?

To answer your question...

My expectations, and others who feel similarly, derive from the passion that I feel as an alum, a donor, and as a fan. I've seen other schools in similar situations as ours rise to even greater levels than where we are now, and know it can be done here...and feel like we've been very, very close. Is reaching that level common, or expected by the masses? No. That's what makes it "greatness". I look to overachive, not simply expect to play to the role which has been defined for us by others. No one is suggesting VCU is to be expected to contend for National titles every yr in basketball at this point. But there are many steps in between that and where we are now, and there's no reason in the world why our program can't take the next step, and be consistent in its progress,

Expressing disappointment in failing to meet those expectations that each of us have is a huge part of being a fan...of any team, and of any sport. Expressing it does very little to alter anything, but it's part of being a fan. At the college level, it might have a little bit more of an impact. But essentially, expressing disappointment is as much of being a fan as being jubilant when everything's wonderful.

You make a very good point about UNC, but the difference is we are NOT UNC. We have a coach who has yet to prove himself. Roy Williams has won how many National Championships? That buys him a little slack. Also, UNC is a program that's had it's ups and downs... from Dean Smith to Bill Guthridge/Matt Doherty. They will always return to greatness. VCU was last good when, in the 80's? Until we've proven ourselves as a national powerhouse, seasons like this are just going to ruin any sort of prestige we've built.

Yeah, obviously UNC is never going to be a perfect comparison for any thing related to VCU basketball. One slightly down year won't ruin everything though. The world didn't end because we lost in the semi-finals of the CAA tourney or opening round of the NIT in 2008. That team had a lot of talent as well as a $650,000 a year coach. We bounced right back and made the big dance again last year though, and we don't know yet how this year is going to turn out. The main reason I brought up UNC was just to show that other factors are in play. Not just the coach since most would agree that they have a great coach.

Here is a list of the teams that had guys drafted in the first round last year.

Oklahoma
UConn
Arizona State
Memphis
Syracuse
Davidson
Arizona
USC
Louisville
Duke
UNC
Gonzaga
Wake Forrest
UCLA
Ohio State
Missouri
Florida State

I don't watch a ton of college basketball outside of VCU, but even I know that a lot of those schools are having down years. Losing a first rounder and a coach is especially tough, but things might not have been much different this year even if AG had stuck around. Sure we have another projected first round pick, but a lot of the teams on that list do as well. heck, the very first team on the list had the national preseason player of the year, numerous all Americans, as well as a coach that is way out of our price range and we did just fine against them. Just having the talent isn't enough, you have to develop the chemistry as well, and that takes time.

4RunningRam said:
artRAMinMN said:
4RunningRam said:

To answer your question...

My expectations, and others who feel similarly, derive from the passion that I feel as an alum, a donor, and as a fan. I've seen other schools in similar situations as ours rise to even greater levels than where we are now, and know it can be done here...and feel like we've been very, very close. Is reaching that level common, or expected by the masses? No. That's what makes it "greatness". I look to overachive, not simply expect to play to the role which has been defined for us by others. No one is suggesting VCU is to be expected to contend for National titles every yr in basketball at this point. But there are many steps in between that and where we are now, and there's no reason in the world why our program can't take the next step, and be consistent in its progress,

Expressing disappointment in failing to meet those expectations that each of us have is a huge part of being a fan...of any team, and of any sport. Expressing it does very little to alter anything, but it's part of being a fan. At the college level, it might have a little bit more of an impact. But essentially, expressing disappointment is as much of being a fan as being jubilant when everything's wonderful.

I don't disagree with any of that. However, it seems like much of the disappointment being expressed... and this is speaking generally more than just about you in particular... is being done so in a way that has no up-side beyond an individual's desire to vent. Even if the negative points being made are salient and incisive, they still don't actually operate as constructive criticism because they're not being delivered to the appropriate audience who can do anything about it. But even if it were possible to direct expressions of disappointment into the ears in question, I'm not sure we would want any coaching staff, even one with whom we might have disagreements, having to heed the words of the fanbase at large.

So if negative comments are just the expression of opinion, and don't really amount to an expectation of being entitled to influence reality, do they really help things beyond getting something off one's chest? Now don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that venting has value, and that we're all entitled to do it now and then... but when it's a constant drum beat rather than the occasional and/or occasion-specific blowing off steam, it seems like there is a will to undermine.... maybe that's not actually the case, but it can sure seem like a gnawing and chipping away at the general good will.

Change is coming....trust that!

I'm pretty sure Andy and ToyotaRAMRunning will be in my gang....................

4RunningRam - so what is your expectation? In early November tell us where you expected us be on 1/25/10. Would 16-2, 7-2 in conference (splitting home and home with W&M and NE) have met your minimum expectation for this team?

Should expectations exclude reality? Are we suppose to ignore losing the best player in school history? Are we suppose to ignore that EVERY team goes through transition periods?

Mistachill said:
4RunningRam - so what is your expectation? In early November tell us where you expected us be on 1/25/10. Would 16-2, 7-2 in conference (splitting home and home with W&M and NE) have met your minimum expectation for this team?

Should expectations exclude reality? Are we suppose to ignore losing the best player in school history? Are we suppose to ignore that EVERY team goes through transition periods?

We lost the best player in school history, and for that I will cut us some slack. If we were in 2nd or 3rd place without some of the blown double digit leads, etc I'd say that would have been about right. I'd have also thought that if we'd been tested by Rhode Island, Richmond, Oklahoma, etc, we'd be better in January than in December, and that's clearly not the case.

But, as I've mentionmed before, we've also got arguably the best point guard in the CAA. We've got a possible NBA lottery pick who is one of the best 2 or 3 players in the conference. We've got the best 3 point shooter in the league. And we've got arguably the league's best defender in Nixon. We've also got depth this year, and we've added a transfer from Wake to the mix, a guy who was a top 100 player out of high school.
With all of that said, I think 15 point blown leads to WMU and W & Mary, back to back conference losses for the first time in 5 years, and 6th place in the CAA at end of January means we're underachieving. I'd opine that losing to NorthEastern twice and being unable to make any adjustments is not on par with what we're capable. I'd say if at the end of January, our goal is to avoid playing on Friday of the tourney, with that talent illustrated above, it is underachieving. To be clear, I'm not attempting to claim that we're worse than Towson, the program is forever doomed, and we should drop down to the MEAC. But what I am saying is that, I don't feel as if we've taken a step forward, and may be on the verge of taking a step backward. That's my opinion, which as I understand it, I'm entitled to.

Interesting question:

Does this mean we beat Duke while they were in transition period? Are you saying that we only beat OK because they are having an off year? Gotta love loaded questions....

The truth is it's Smart's first year and he's not getting it done but people don't want to hear that. Fans that know players (like whereas) only want to post about their boy...

I agree with Morrisar and 4runningram...VCU is not getting it done. Blame whoever but it's the truth.

So...to blame Coach Smart and his staff is preposterous. We all knew we would have a hiccup or two along the way. I'm not worried. I still feel confident in this team's ability to get 'er done. Always have, always will.

------------------
Go RAMS!
Beat Tigers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back