The Official Beat the South Florida Bulls in Tampa in the NIT Thread

Not sure if the VCU one is around somewhere.

I freaking love this coach. Not only has he proven he can coach, as evidenced by the turnaround at Kennesaw State and now at USF, but start at the 32:20 mark of the video and listen to him go off. Love it.

If and when Odom ever leaves VCU, and if we have a shot at this guy, then I'd take it.

Last edited:
For kids 18-21 it should take them a day or 2 to acclimate. I need at least a day, and I'm quite a bit older than they are.
It does take several weeks to fully acclimate. I almost horked up a lung my first hard skate around the U campus.

I freaking love this coach. Not only has he proven he can coach, as evidenced by the turnaround at Kennesaw State and now at USF, but start at the 32:20 mark of the video and listen to him go off. Love it.

If and when Odom ever leaves VCU, if we have a shot at this guy, then I'd take it.
Loved it too. But we have no chance to get him. Dudes phone is going to starting ringing from much bigger programs.

Reactions: HBK

If and when Odom ever leaves VCU, if we have a shot at this guy, then I'd take it.
I love that approach. You could definitely tell the players bought in, too - they played well against UCF and the game against us was an absolute battle.

I also like his attitude toward the schools that declined (*coughBonniescough*).

Nothing but respect for Coach Abdur-Rahim.

I think if Odom leaves we take Darius or Brad. Each have roots here, have VCU in their DNA and bleed Black and Gold. Give them a few years at a lower salary to earn there stripes and then sit back and enjoy a coach for life.
Fudge this hiring people that use us as a stepping stone.

Last edited:
No emotion...lol...I've been supporting VCU basketball for over 50 years, and all you need to do is ask my wife or kids about my emotions during a VCU game and they would just laugh at you. I've said more than a couple "unkind" things about the team and players while watching in the comfort of my own home and needing a relief valve, but have NEVER posted comments like yours. These guys work their butts off 12 months a year, while trying to get an education more than half the time. Zeb and Tobi made some mind blowing mistakes during that game, but they are the main reason we won. They may not have the perfection you desire, but deserve respect for their efforts far more than you.
You’re a clown if you think one post in the heat of the game warrants a response from you. Truly delusional on your part. You say you have emotion and then attack posters who show it. Hypocritical

No emotion...lol...I've been supporting VCU basketball for over 50 years, and all you need to do is ask my wife or kids about my emotions during a VCU game and they would just laugh at you. I've said more than a couple "unkind" things about the team and players while watching in the comfort of my own home and needing a relief valve, but have NEVER posted comments like yours. These guys work their butts off 12 months a year, while trying to get an education more than half the time. Zeb and Tobi made some mind blowing mistakes during that game, but they are the main reason we won. They may not have the perfection you desire, but deserve respect for their efforts far more than you.
Also you have 226 posts and half of them is beefing with other posters on how they handle their emotions. What are you the negative comment police???...how bout you go touch some grass and get a hobby brother. IDK take up woodworking or something.

I think if Odom leaves we take Darius or Brad. Each have roots here, have VCU in their DNA and bleed Black and Gold. Give them a few years at a lower salary to earn there stripes and then sit back and enjoy a coach for life.
I thought about that too, and it sounds nice, but if they fail to deliver after 3 seasons (which seems to be the time that tries our patience), what then? Do you want to be the AD that fires Darius or Brad? Not me.

I thought about that too, and it sounds nice, but if they fail to deliver after 3 seasons (which seems to be the time that tries our patience), what then? Do you want to be the AD that fires Darius or Brad? Not me.
Wouldn't want that job for sure...

One should have no problem firing a coach for lack of performance and the coach would likely know it is coming. They are paid absurd amounts to produce. Ed is paid a good salary to monitor that production and make necessary adjustments. If you pay them a reasonable amount that reflects there inexperience as head coach, then it is even easier bc you can afford the buyout and still offer a good salary to the next coach.
Firing a person making a middle income and is living pretty close to paycheck to paycheck is hard and needs to be done carefully and in a manner that hopefully gives that person a safety line (severance package, extended benefits...). Firing an overpaid person who can afford to live for a few years off prior earnings and will have contract $$ still flowing? Easy street.

Last edited:
after 3 seasons (which seems to be the time that tries our patience
ray-liotta-laughing.gif

I understand the sentiment, but any slippage and that is the type of decision that is an express lane to being fired and not be considered for another AD job. Both of those guys may be awesome coaches, but the suggestion is the equivalent of taking line managers and making them CEOs as I don’t believe either have served as first or second chair coaches. We are not a backwater, there is a lot on our coach’s plate and the demonstrated ability to lead a complex organization is pretty paramount to our success. I’m not saying it couldn’t work and maybe both are being groomed at a quick rate, so who knows? That said, the AD that makes that call better be certain, untouchable and have a plan to support them, else just look at Michigan as an example of “what could go wrong” when sentimentality drives coaching decisions.

Back