The Official Beat the Will Wade-less McNeese State Cowboys at the Stu Thread

I really thought Grant would have retired after last year. I still could see him take some time off though. He looks and talks tired. Not sure I could lose a daughter and continue to work in the coaching meat grinder.
Agreed. You can see the toll it has taken on him. I didn’t much care for him off the court. However, to see someone lose a child this way, and to see it visibility affect them is painful to observe.

I wish him and his family well. Time heals all wounds but somethings you never get over.

Agreed. You can see the toll it has taken on him. I didn’t much care for him off the court. However, to see someone lose a child this way, and to see it visibility affect them is painful to observe.

I wish him and his family well. Time heals all wounds but somethings you never get over.
It was very evident in the CBS piece they did about the foundation he and his wife started in the wake of his daughter's death. He looks emotionally spent. The fact that he's still coaching and doing it well is pretty impressive, though as @Violet Ram stated it's probably a good escape for him.

It was very evident in the CBS piece they did about the foundation he and his wife started in the wake of his daughter's death. He looks emotionally spent. The fact that he's still coaching and doing it well is pretty impressive, though as @Violet Ram stated it's probably a good escape for him.
I hope he leaves. I know (hope?) their online presence doesn't reflect overall fan sentiment, but they don't deserve him. 7 seed at large, recruited two conference POY selections (one of whom was NPOY), undefeated run at home this season, and all they harp on about is how he's a mediocre coach. GTFOH.

You really cannot look at the teams record one year and determine if a HC is moving on. English was never staying at GMU. He was a hot commodity and as such was moving on.

Like it or not, Odom is the type of guy who could get poached. He’s got experience, connections, and well people like him. Not saying I want him to leave but he could.

Grant could move up although, it doesnt seem that he has desire or fire to put career first anymore. Also, the guy at the Bonnies is well respected.

So no, I think a few guys could move up if they wanted and the right job opened up.
The Kim English situation was an outlier. Obviously, his performance as a coach at GMU didn't warrant moving to a power conference, but he's young, charismatic, and very well-connected. Odom has taken two teams to the NCAAs and now VCU to the NIT in his first year here, but I just don't see him being poached this season. If VCU goes to the NCAAs next year, and a reasonably-attractive Big East or (particularly) ACC job opens up, I'll be very worried.

I agree with most about Anthony Grant. He might get offers here and there, but I don't think he's leaving Dayton. He'll retire first. I also don't think Mark Schmidt is going anywhere. He's been with the team since 2007, and I can't imagine he hasn't gotten P6 job offers before. He's 61 years old, and I suspect he'll retire as coach of the Bonnies.

Last edited:
Grant did it once and it almost destroyed his career.

SLU is about as close as you can get to power conference quality as you can get in the A10: the school has a TON of money, a nice 10,000 seat arena, and excellent facilities. Not to mention lots of recruiting reach and being the only college game in town in a major media market (and Wade loves himself some exposure).
Yeah, I think I mentioned them previously as being a nice landing spot for Wade.

Interesting article from OSU country regarding Wade: https://www.ocolly.com/big12sports/...cle_919573a2-e303-11ee-ac42-a7a22a6269d2.html

If OSU is unsure about the logistics of considering Wade, Weiberg should look no further than a fellow Big 12 school: the Houston Cougars.

UH hired Kelvin Sampson in 2014 despite his history of multiple NCAA violations during his tenure at Indiana. Houston let him serve his five-year show-cause penalty, brought him in and spent millions on facility renovations and upgrades.

Sampson has since taken UH to an Elite Eight, a Final Four and won a lot of ball games. It’s been one of the top programs for several years now, and the Cougars are the No. 1 team in the country.

School can be very forgiving if you win.

I hope he leaves. I know (hope?) their online presence doesn't reflect overall fan sentiment, but they don't deserve him. 7 seed at large, recruited two conference POY selections (one of whom was NPOY), undefeated run at home this season, and all they harp on about is how he's a mediocre coach. GTFOH.
Their on line fan presence is definitely not representative. Dayton fans I know love him (several know him from his playing days here and having classes with him). Any with brains (and hearts) will also cut him some slack because of what he's gone through. He's still healing and they know it. I don't think he's going anywhere, and probably not retiring soon. Dayton is also better gig than a lot of P5s. If he was considering moving, he'd be real selective.

Back