The Official Beat the Will Wade-less McNeese State Cowboys at the Stu Thread

I think Grant is ready for a break if not retirement. Also, grant excels at finding talent. IDK if that's a competitive advantage at power schools.
Grant will only turn age 58 in April so I think he still has a lot of gas in the tank and probably coach for a number of years more.

1. Why would a bigger program hire him with his mediocre record as a head coach?
2. He’s a Dayton alum.
3. His daughter committed suicide and he might be closer to retiring than moving up.
There are lots of mediocre power coaches. I don’t think he’s going anywhere though. I think he retires soon after what happened. I’m shocked he came back tbh.

There are lots of mediocre power coaches. I don’t think he’s going anywhere though. I think he retires soon after what happened. I’m shocked he came back tbh.
A lot of people were. I was surprised he didn't retire then and there. That's an almost impossible thing to come back from.

But he's a Dayton alum, he's been burned before when trying to move up, and he hasn't exactly been the same since this all happened. When he does retire it will be from Dayton.

Louisville has had way too many issues since Pitino was their coach for them to take a chance on Will Wade. They will spend the money on a high profile name versus going the Will Wade route.

I could see SLU as a possible landing spot for Wade. They have struggled on the court since Majerus passed away. Ford had name recognition, but could not coach. Wade has name recognition and now the rules allow him to operate legally. SLU needs to hire a proven winner and they could probably get Will Wade at a pretty decent price that won't break the bank, that will also win games for them and make them relevant again.
Ok, lets run with this (over the next 5 years), Dambrot retires this year, Duquesne brings in Capel who grows frustrated at Pitt (just run with it, ok). MR gets fired from PSU just in time to take the Richmond job when Mooney retires. Shaka's wife forces him to move yet again, this time to GW when Bishop leaves after 9 years and Caputo never gets them out of last place. VCU under 3 new coaches advances to the A10 finals for 13 out of the last 16 seasons. Moral of the story, some things never change.

I think Grant is ready for a break if not retirement. Also, grant excels at finding talent. IDK if that's a competitive advantage at power schools.
I really thought Grant would have retired after last year. I still could see him take some time off though. He looks and talks tired. Not sure I could lose a daughter and continue to work in the coaching meat grinder.

Ok, lets run with this (over the next 5 years), Dambrot retires this year, Duquesne brings in Capel who grows frustrated at Pitt (just run with it, ok). MR gets fired from PSU just in time to take the Richmond job when Mooney retires. Shaka's wife forces him to move yet again, this time to GW when Bishop leaves after 9 years and Caputo never gets them out of last place. VCU under 3 new coaches advances to the A10 finals for 13 out of the last 16 seasons. Moral of the story, some things never change.
Meanwhile, Mack McCarthy comes out of retirement to take over for a retiring Fran Dunphy at La Salle, and an aging but still mentally sharp Mike Pollio heads up to Rhode Island for a one-off season while they look for a replacement for Archie Miller. ;) :lol:

I don't see ANY way Frank Wade would take the SLU job. Sure, he's coaching a low major now, but he's shown he can be successful in a power conference (he cheated, but no one cares about that anymore) and he's not going to only jump up one rung on the ladder for his next stop. Power conference teams will come calling for him soon enough, particularly if McNeese can manage to win a game in the NCAAs.

ETA: If he DID weirdly take the SLU job, don't expect him to stay for more than a couple of seasons.

1. Why would a bigger program hire him with his mediocre record as a head coach?
2. He’s a Dayton alum.
3. His daughter committed suicide and he might be closer to retiring than moving up.
Also, having experienced being a P5 coach & the struggles that come with it (although at the time Bama was kinda a meh job).... He prob also feels more comfortable at this level.... especially with him being at his alma mater as you mention

Back