The Official Beat the Will Wade-less McNeese State Cowboys at the Stu Thread

I don't see any A10 coach being poached this year, although I guess last year none of us expected Kim English to move up after a mediocre run at GMU.

Drew Valentine, if anyone.

I don't see Valentine going anywhere. He's only been a head coach since 2021 when he was promoted at Loyal - Chicago from an assistant coach position. There have been rumors regarding Anthony Grant possibly to Michigan or Ohio State.

I don't see Valentine going anywhere. He's only been a head coach since 2021 when he was promoted at Loyal - Chicago from an assistant coach position. There have been rumors regarding Anthony Grant possibly to Michigan or Ohio State.
I'd love to see Schmidt and/or Dambrot leave, but that's just because I hate playing against their teams. :lol:

I'd love to see Schmidt and/or Dambrot leave, but that's just because I hate playing against their teams. :lol:

There are rumblings that Dambrot might retire. His wife has cancer and he has been juggling taking care of her and coaching basketball this season. He has had a lot on his plate this season.

I don't see any A10 coach being poached this year, although I guess last year none of us expected Kim English to move up after a mediocre run at GMU.
Dambrot might retire.

I’m just crossing my fingers there isn’t a surprise ACC opening. Shoutout to NC State for making a run lmao

Dambrot might retire.

I’m just crossing my fingers there isn’t a surprise ACC opening. Shoutout to NC State for making a run lmao

Time and tenure at VCU is Coach Odom's friend. He is not going to jump after only one season at VCU where it wasn't even all of his players. And I don't see him jumping at the first ACC job available. I think his dad, Dave Odom, will keep him grounded regarding any future next moves. They are very close.

Last edited:
Odom is a calculating and methodical guy, he isn't a meathead like MR or a career over everything guy like WW. If he leaves, it will be when the time is right.

He said he came here because him and his staff believe they can win a national title here. I expect him to give it a few tries. Maybe a couple years when he feels like he can't go any further, but he needs to make a tournament run before ACC talk. Right now he is just the UMBC upset guy, and he still needs to prove he is more than that too. And we're still the flukey final four teams and we need to prove we are more than that. So it's actually a good combo.

So Brandon Chambers.... former VCU MBB Student Manager.... and also Interim Coach who coached McNeese to a win over us to start the year... apparently called McNeese (12) vs Gonzaga (5) in Salt Lake City.

Also called JMU as a 12 seed.

Odom is a calculating and methodical guy, he isn't a meathead like MR or a career over everything guy like WW. If he leaves, it will be when the time is right.

He said he came here because him and his staff believe they can win a national title here. I expect him to give it a few tries. Maybe a couple years when he feels like he can't go any further, but he needs to make a tournament run before ACC talk. Right now he is just the UMBC upset guy, and he still needs to prove he is more than that too. And we're still the flukey final four teams and we need to prove we are more than that. So it's actually a good combo.
This is a solid comparison!

You really cannot look at the teams record one year and determine if a HC is moving on. English was never staying at GMU. He was a hot commodity and as such was moving on.

Like it or not, Odom is the type of guy who could get poached. He’s got experience, connections, and well people like him. Not saying I want him to leave but he could.

Grant could move up although, it doesnt seem that he has desire or fire to put career first anymore. Also, the guy at the Bonnies is well respected.

So no, I think a few guys could move up if they wanted and the right job opened up.

I think Grant is ready for a break if not retirement. Also, grant excels at finding talent. IDK if that's a competitive advantage at power schools.
I think you are correct. His personal issues seem to have visibly taken a toll on him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take a break. Retirement maybe not. But he looks due for a break.

Back