The VCU Coaching Staff

Rothstein would not have announced when the VCU/PSU series was scheduled to start if Rhoades was going to cancel it. I'm sure there is nothing ole "How you like me now?" would love more than to come into enemy territory and beat VCU.

Rothstein would not have announced when the VCU/PSU series was scheduled to start if Rhoades was going to cancel it. I'm sure there is nothing ole "How you like me now?" would love more than to come into enemy territory and beat VCU.
The tweet was that the series is expected to start in 24-25 (due to the possibility of us playing them in Orlando in November), not that it was starting. We were expected to play Penn State at home in 21-22 but that game ended up not happening.

I love the enthusiasm, but I don't think you can say this before he's coached a single game with VCU. HOWEVER, he does have more head coaching experience than *any* of the other guys on that list did when they took the VCU job, so there's a lot of "tape" to go by.
yeah i would only be comfortable putting odom ahead of capel and rhoades as of now tbh.

The tweet was that the series is expected to start in 24-25 (due to the possibility of us playing them in Orlando in November), not that it was starting. We were expected to play Penn State at home in 21-22 but that game ended up not happening.

If Rhoades wasn't planning on playing the game it wouldn't be expected to start in 24-25.

If Rhoades wasn't planning on playing the game it wouldn't be expected to start in 24-25.
I doubt any talks about these games has happened at this point and there’s no way anything has been agreed to. We won’t know for certain whether these games will happen or not until they appear on a schedule in the months leading up to that season.

Reactions: SWV
I doubt any talks about these games has happened at this point and there’s no way anything has been agreed to. We won’t know for certain whether these games will happen or not until they appear on a schedule in the months leading up to that season.

Of course we don't know for certain but I don't see Rothstein saying anything just to say it. He must have had some indication that the series would not be bought out.

People always think the Coach is going to buy the games out but not one has been bought out yet.

I love the enthusiasm, but I don't think you can say this before he's coached a single game with VCU. HOWEVER, he does have more head coaching experience than *any* of the other guys on that list did when they took the VCU job, so there's a lot of "tape" to go by.
Yeah. Odom has not coached a game yet.
Shaka>Barnett>Kirk>Wade>Grant>Capel>Rhoades

Even if he doesn't intend to play the games, he'd hardly announce it on Rothstein's pod.

Reactions: SWV

Idiotic in my view. Capel won a conf tournament at VCU. He won a reg season at VCU. He took VCU to the NCAAs. He recruited some all time greats to VCU.

Anthony Grant?

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 14-34-27 Anthony Grant Coaching Record College Basketball at Sports-R...png

Frank? 2 seasons, 2 NCAAs, the same number Odom has had in his entire career.

Odom has had an active and presumably strong preseason over the span of, what, 6 weeks?

Ridiculous.

Frank? 2 seasons, 2 NCAAs, the same number Odom has had in his entire career.
I agree that the original ranking was stupid, but on this point I have to argue a little bit. It's not apples-to-apples. Frank coached at VCU for those two years. Odom coached at Utah St. for two years. If you want to compare those years, it's fair and Frank has one more NCAA berth. If you throw in the rest of Odom's career, you include UMBC. If you're going to do that, then you have to include Frank's time at UT-Chattanooga, when he never took his teams to the NCAA or even the NIT.

It's a silly argument, regardless. Until Odom has a season at VCU, you can't say where he calls in the pecking order. Really, even after one season I'm not sure you can do it because he had to build practically an entire team due to the transfer rules, something no other coach in VCU history had to deal with when first taking the job.

I think you guys are taking that tweet too seriously. It was likely more of an attempt to troll Mike Rhoades and his fans.

I agree that the original ranking was stupid, but on this point I have to argue a little bit. It's not apples-to-apples. Frank coached at VCU for those two years. Odom coached at Utah St. for two years. If you want to compare those years, it's fair and Frank has one more NCAA berth. If you throw in the rest of Odom's career, you include UMBC. If you're going to do that, then you have to include Frank's time at UT-Chattanooga, when he never took his teams to the NCAA or even the NIT.

It's a silly argument, regardless. Until Odom has a season at VCU, you can't say where he calls in the pecking order. Really, even after one season I'm not sure you can do it because he had to build practically an entire team due to the transfer rules, something no other coach in VCU history had to deal with when first taking the job.
Totally agree.

It is all just ridiculous. Odom is being nominated for sainthood because he isn't Rhoades. We have no idea at all what all of this will come to. Without taking anything away from the pretty impressive job Odom has done in putting together a roster in no time at all, our 10 player roster includes 2 players who actually have appreciable D1 history and a third (who may not even be eligible) who had a really good year a couple of years ago, trasferred up and sat on his butt for a year. That's it; everyone else is a hope and a prayer.

Like everyone else I am optimistic about the coming year, in no small part because the rest of the A10 looks pathetic. I like, based on little but reading articles, that Odom has an analytical approach, and I like that his teams are generally pretty efficient offensively, which will be a nice change of pace.

The crap about us being "stacked" and making deep tourney runs and how the 804 crew (which has done *checks notes* exactly nothing to date) will terrorize college ball is just so much bloviating.

I get being excited. I am too. This is going to be a wild ride. But based on the actual record, people are getting way ahead of themselves, and when we lose early (and we will), people are going to feel some kind of way about it

Back