Recruiting Transfer Portal

As of right now there are 1,688 D1 players and 962 D2 players in the portal, for a total of 2,650.
OK, so not quite 50% of D-1 players, but that 1,688 is still over 35% of scholarship D-1 players. I'd love to know how many won't find a D-1 chair when the music stops.

I personally have never had an issue discussing players performance. I do think some people let their emotions cause them to cross over into personal attacks. Like D. Holmes said, just be respectful and that applies to all human beings in my opinion

Agreed. To me it’s not personal. When I say I think Nelson should transfer it’s because I think he generally will struggle to get time here and that’s a wasted spot. Same with Fermin. I just think he doesn’t have that aggressive instinct we need for our bigs. That’s not going to contribute much. I think at a lower mid major he would do well. But there’s ones here that don’t think we should be critical of performances and I’m sorry this is D1. We’re not even close to as bad as criticism at say UNC. Nevermind these are paid athletes. It’s a job. Anyone at a job unless self employed has faced criticism at some point even if it’s an annual review. These are young adults not kids.

OK, so not quite 50% of D-1 players, but that 1,688 is still over 35% of scholarship D-1 players. I'd love to know how many won't find a D-1 chair when the music stops.
I edited my post with some further breakdown of the numbers, but it's pretty insane, and those D2 transfers can and are moving up to D1 schools, so it's extra chaotic.

I venture to about 300 if the D1 players in the portal wont be playing D1 next year. 1st, there probably 100+ that are involuntarily in the portal. Then, a number of D2,D3 and Juco kids will move up to D1. A handful will go pro. finally, there will be some high school kids that otherwise would have not been on a D1 team that will now have the opportunity

We literally lost two major recruits solely because of last min NIL by other schools. This is not a good argument. Also people need to get this idea that players are coming for the name on the front of the jersey. Not anymore. Those days of Skeen, Theus, Maynor, etc holding up the letters on their jerseys after wins are over. They are not here for VCU. You are saying fans to need to get over themselves thinking everyone wants to come here. You are partially correct. Fans need to understand they are coming for money and should be treated as such. We aren’t losing recruits because of school names. We had USC and Wake dusted and then both came with big check books. We’ve out recruited major schools before. This is different. Our facilities and staff mean nothing. It’s simply how much can you pay me? Players aren’t even hiding it so why deny it?
You know for sure it was totally because of NIL?

Agreed. To me it’s not personal. When I say I think Nelson should transfer it’s because I think he generally will struggle to get time here and that’s a wasted spot. Same with Fermin. I just think he doesn’t have that aggressive instinct we need for our bigs. That’s not going to contribute much. I think at a lower mid major he would do well. But there’s ones here that don’t think we should be critical of performances and I’m sorry this is D1. We’re not even close to as bad as criticism at say UNC. Nevermind these are paid athletes. It’s a job. Anyone at a job unless self employed has faced criticism at some point even if it’s an annual review. These are young adults not kids.
Nelson I agree what we have seen could get a lot more burn at a different school but as I have said before , he is a good #12 or #13 in the rotation. Ferm, I tend to disagree. The problem to me is that he was asked/ needed to be a starter. If he was the 2nd big off the bench, I think people would have a different opinion of him. Most big always take longer to develop

You know for sure it was totally because of NIL?
Unless someone comes out and says so (like Zed Key, or the guy who just went from Arizona to Indiana for a cool $1.2 million), we probably will never know. But I'm not sure it's safe to make that assumption every single time, like for a player who just transferred from William & Mary to Bellarmine.

Conundrum: I own and still occasionally wear a Jalen Deloach VCU NIL tee for yardwork and such. Am I now obligated to get rid of it?

Also, it's hilarious to me Drew Valentine has taken the "If you can't beat 'em, recruit 'em" approach to Deloach. 100% offered because they got sonned in Chicago.

Back